Banner Ad 1

Subregatta 2012 - INFO ONLY

Know of an upcoming modeling event?

Subregatta 2012 - INFO ONLY

Postby Crazy Ivan » Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:35 pm

Ladies and gentlemen,

SubRon 8, in conjunction with the Indy Admirals, is pleased to announce the 21st SubRegatta, to be held from Friday August 3rd to Sunday August 5th, 2012, at the Reflecting Pond in Carmel, Indiana. Yes, Big Dave’s band of 8-Balls will be your hosts running the show this year, and we intend to make our mark! First off, I wish to give a big thanks to Chris Campbell and the Admirals for all their help in getting things set up in Carmel. Chris was in charge of the past several SubRegattas, and without his experience and behind-the-scenes assistance it would be most difficult, if not impossible, for us to organize such an event from hundreds of miles away.

So on to the details. The first thing you might wish to know is that, once again, the Hilton Garden Inn of Carmel will be the official hotel of the SubRegatta. As before, the special rate of $99 per night will be available for a limited block of rooms, and this will apply between Thursday the 2nd until Monday the 6th.

The hotel particulars are as follows:
Group Name: SubCommittee
Group Code: SUBAUG
Check-in: 02-AUG-2012
Check-out: 06-AUG-2012
Hotel Name: Hilton Garden Inn Indianapolis/Carmel
Hotel Address: 13090 Pennsylvania Street
Carmel, Indiana
Phone Number: 317-581-9400

You may phone in your reservation to the hotel directly and ask for the SubCommittee rate using the above info, or you may go to the special website that has been set up for us, and make your reservation on-line. The url is:

http://hiltongardeninn.hilton.com/en/gi/groups/personalized/I/INDCAGI-SUBAUG-20120802/index.jhtml?WT.mc_id=POG

The special rate is available for reservations now. I made mine this morning using the link, and it worked beautifully.

This is going to be a three day event like last year. Open running will be available all day Friday, with things a bit more structured on Saturday. Night runs will be held Friday and Saturday. This was a big hit last year, with an unprecedented number of illuminated boats taking part. We will plan a Meet ‘n Greet for early Friday evening as the date gets closer and we can confirm the location.

Enthusiasm is running high this year among our newly elected officers to make the 21st SubRegatta a focal point for growing our hobby. To that end, a revitalized Nav Course competition will be featured, along with the usual Engineering and Static competition. But some new things are in the works too. For example, we will be offering a Lighting Contest at the Night Run. And how about following that up with a Parade Of Lights? VP Paul Crozier is writing an article to lay out our plans in greater detail. Watch for it in the March issue of The SubCommittee Report.

We will plan once again to remain pondside on Saturday between the day’s events and the Night Run. If anyone would like to give a Seminar under the tent during that time, please contact me.

Well that’s all for now. This thread will be the place to come for updated info as things develop. Please do not attempt to post here as this thread will be locked.
You may instead post questions and comments to the SubRegatta 2012 - COMMENTS thread which I will open. Alternately, you may send me a PM or e-mail.

We hope to see you in Carmel!

-George Protchenko

SubRegatta 2012 Chairman
George "Crazy Ivan" Protchenko

“There are the assassins, the dealers in death; I am the Avenger!”-Nemo
"I'm disinclined to acquiesce to your request; means No!"-Capt.Barbossa
Crazy Ivan
SubCommittee Member

Re: Subregatta 2012 - INFO ONLY

Postby Crazy Ivan » Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:45 pm

Subregatta update:

The good news is we have confirmed that we will once again hold our Friday night Meet n' Greet at the Chipotle Mexican Grill at 6:30 pm.

The address is 4625 E. 96th St. Indianapolis, IN 46240, and it is highlighted on one of the maps below. As usual, mention the SubCommittee, and you will get a free burrito. There will, of course, be a charge for any drinks or snacks you may wish to purchase.

Following the evening's socializing, the pond will be available for the first of our two night runs.

And now, here are some maps of the area:

This is an overview of Carmel, with the location of the hotel marked.

This one shows the the relative locations of the hotel, pond and Chipotle's.

Here is a closeup for traveling between the hotel and the pond.

Crazy Ivan
SubCommittee Member

Postby Crazy Ivan » Fri May 25, 2012 10:36 am

Hello again everyone,

We are now just a couple of months away from the 21st Annual International SubRegatta, and there are several new things in the works. First of all, a Pre-registration page is now available for those of you who have a Paypal account:

http://www.subcommittee.com/register.cfm

On this page, you will be able to input your Name and SubRon affiliation (if any) as you want them to appear on your SubRegatta ID badge, and to pay the $10 registration fee. You will also be able to order your Official SubRegatta T-shirts in whatever quantities and sizes you require. Prices are (S,M,L,XL) $15 and (2XL,3XL) $20. If you have already registered and need to go back and order additional shirts, this will be possible as well. For those of you without Paypal accounts, you may mail in your ID info, registration fee and T-shirt order. A convenient Registration Form may be found here:

http://www.subcommittee.com/docs/SR12-RegistrationForm.pdf

Make your check payable to “The SubCommittee” for the total amount and send your info and order to:

SubRegatta Registration
PO Box 16578
Rochester, NY 14612

Please note: It is more important than ever this year that attendees pre-register as early as possible. This allows us time to prepare your ID Badges, and gives us an idea of how much table and tent space we need to rent. We need to monitor costs closely and we will have to give about a one month notice if a different size tent is required. Of course, some late registrations are unavoidable, and there are bound to be a few walk-ins. Rest assured, no one will be turned away on that basis, but we will not necessarily be able to guarantee that there will be enough extra table space available. T-shirt orders should be placed no later than the first week of July for pick-up at the regatta.

Crazy Ivan
SubCommittee Member

Postby Crazy Ivan » Fri May 25, 2012 11:15 am

A really big change this year is the addition of the Vendor Sponsorship Program. It is no secret that we are living in a tight economy. In the past, the SubRegatta has been largely financed by the ever popular Saturday and Sunday prize raffles, and through the sale of SubRegatta T-shirts. There is concern that a number of people may not be able to afford the trip to Carmel this year, which could severely impact raffle ticket and shirt sales. Even the number of raffle prizes so generously donated by individuals and vendors in the past could fall off as well. A SubRegatta financial loss would be a major disaster for the SubCommittee, and would put the possibility of any future SubRegattas in question.

So after much discussion between the Organizing Committee and the Executive Committee, a program was conceived whereby select vendors have been offered a choice of two tiers of sponsorship for the SubRegatta. This means that, for a fee, each vendor will receive a certain amount of exposure and advertising, both at the SubRegatta and on our websites. Most of this will be transparent to the attendees. However, the Premium Sponsor level carries a feature that will be immediately apparent to all; the names of these top vendors will be printed on the back of the SubRegatta T-shirts.

Now we are well aware that, while a lot of folks will willingly fork over more than a hundred dollars for a pair of shoes emblazoned with “REEBOK” or “NIKE”, some of you have an aversion to wearing apparel which carries someone else’s advertising... particularly if you paid for the privilege. If this is the case, we sincerely hope that you will see your way past it and continue your support for the SubRegatta. We have tried to implement this change as tastefully as possible. Please don’t let this be your sole reason for not getting a T-shirt you might otherwise have bought. The three vendors listed on the shirt have already shown their support by spending some big dollars with us. That income is enough in fact to virtually cover our major fixed expense of tables and tent, thus insuring the success of this year's event by making income far less dependent on the attendance number.

A last word on vendors:
It is, and always has been, the official policy that anyone at the SubRegatta who wishes to openly display, promote, and offer items for sale must be a registered vendor, and do so only within the designated vendor area. This is not new, and will be enforced in exactly the same manner as in past years. What is new is that vendors will be registered and given area access by invitation only. This need not be as exclusive as it may sound. Anyone wishing consideration to be a vendor, or even to become a sponsor, need only to send me a PM and I will tell you how to contact our vendor representative. This policy does NOT apply to items for sale on the Swap Table. This area remains free and open to all attending, but for personal items only please.

About SubRegatta Contests:
A number of contests and competitions will be held this year, featuring the Nav Course in particular. Anyone who would like to read up on the Nav Course rules can find a copy of the handbook here:

http://www.subcommittee.com/docs/SC_RCH_v1.3.pdf

A final note:
We are still looking for a person to give a seminar talk. PM me if you have an idea for a presentation.

Crazy Ivan
SubCommittee Member

Postby Crazy Ivan » Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:02 am

OK Folks,

We have a number of pre-registrations, but I just know there are a lot more of you out there who are planning to come. The deadline for deciding on the size of the tent, the number of tables, and placing the T-shirt order with the vendor is fast approaching. We need to hear from you NOW!

To give a little incentive, we make you this offer:

The Carmel Hilton Garden Inn has generously donated four breakfast buffet certificates for 2. This is a $20 value, and we will let them go for $15 each to the first four pre-registered people to post on the Subregatta 2012 - COMMENTS thread.

Furthermore:

The Carmel Hilton Garden Inn has donated 1 night's stay at the hotel, a $99 value, which we will auction off to the highest pre-registered bidder to post on the Subregatta 2012 - COMMENTS thread. Minimum bid is $75. Close of bidding will be high noon Eastern Daylight Time, July 4th 2012.

Note for either the breakfasts or the 1 night stay:
If you are pre-registring by mail, state this in your post and we will hold your certificate pending receipt of your registration. These certificates are valid only for the weekend of the 2012 SubRegatta. We will notify the winners on the details of how to collect their certificates.

Crazy Ivan
SubCommittee Member

Postby Crazy Ivan » Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:20 pm

Attention Ladies and Gentlemen:

The order for the official SubRegatta 2012 T-shirts is going to be placed with the vendor this Friday, July 13th. If you intend to order shirts, now is the time to do so. I wouldn't count on our being able to add to the order once it has been placed. We will have a limited number of Large and eXtra Large t-shirts available for sale at the SubRegatta, first come, first served. You have been warned! :shock:

Crazy Ivan
SubCommittee Member

Postby Crazy Ivan » Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:46 am

Pre-ordering of official SubRegatta 2012 T-shirts is now closed. A limited supply of large (L) and extra-large (XL) will be available for purchase at the event. Cost is $15 each. Inquire at the T-shirt table.

Note: You may still register to attend the SubRegatta, either online or by mail.

Crazy Ivan
SubCommittee Member

Postby Crazy Ivan » Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:24 pm

Only one week to go, folks! Hopefully we now have everything in place for a really great event. It looks like we will have a good turnout this year, and the excellent response we have had with pre-registration has made our job of planning so much easier. Thanks to all of you who took advantage of our on-line and mail-in programs. We still have the night's stay at the Hilton available to anyone who wishes to claim it for $75. This can be applied to one of your nights during the SubRegatta. Why pay $99? Also, don't forget the Meet n' Greet at Chipotle Mexican Grill on Friday evening. See you in Carmel!

-George Protchenko

SubRegatta 2012 Chairman

Crazy Ivan
SubCommittee Member

Postby Crazy Ivan » Sun Jul 29, 2012 6:24 pm

Attention Everyone:

Pizza, Pizza, Pizza!

It has been arranged with Dominos to get medium, single topping pizzas for $5 for the dinner break on Saturday and for lunch on Sunday. Decide what you want at that time and we will call in the order and then pick it up.

Also, here is a link to the restaurants in the City Center Buildings across from the pond. You can walk to all of these.
http://www.carmelcitycenter.com/dining-options-in-carmel-city-center/

There is also Shapiros Deli which has great food.
http://www.shapiros.com/

Crazy Ivan
SubCommittee Member

Return to Upcoming Events and SubRegattas