Banner Ad 1

Jules Verne NAUTILUS in 72 scale --- 4th try

This is the place to post your submarine build- ups.

Re: Jules Verne NAUTILUS in 72 scale --- 4th try

Postby brucethebrush » Sat Jul 07, 2012 7:46 pm

Hey Leelan,
Good to hear you made it Ok. Yeah, when I moved the first thing I did was set up the workroom. Bad idea. Nothing else got done for a long time. But this is my last move, unless I win the lottery.
Man, we've been in a triple digit heat wave for awhile now. Supposed to break tomorrow. But still no rain for quite awhile. No sense in mowing the straw that used to be grass. But in a few months we'll be missin' this. Some polar icecaps are meltin' cuz of this, you betcha.
Just remember, if you can see the light at the end of the tunnel, and it ain't a train, you're OK.
Bruce
brucethebrush

Postby modelnut » Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:33 am

The Man Cave is the last item on the list to be fixed up.I guess that will be next week. :(

- Leelan
modelnut
SubCommittee Member

Postby Jeffrey J » Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:43 am

brucethebrush wrote:I'm not sure you need Gelcoat. It's my understanding that in doing boat hulls, the Gelcoat goes on the inside of the mold first then is backed up with fiberglass. I'd say you already have a good enough surface for priming and painting. That is unless you've already inhaled enough fumes to actually enjoy what you're doing. Do they have a 10-step program for this?
Bruce

I agree, I have built several hulls similar to what your doing. I don't see any reason for trying to use gel coat. Normally even on a car the paint is sprayed directly over the primer. You can scribe and detail your fiberglass and bondo hull with no problems, awesome job you did there. Keep up the good work, the hard stuff is behind you now. good luck . Jeff Jones
one things for sure, they won't be expecting us......... S/C#258
Jeffrey J

Postby modelnut » Sun Aug 26, 2012 3:41 pm

Hmmm. Then I spent +$50 for nuthin. :evil:

Oh well. I need to take her to a friend's workshop to spray the money coat on. He says that one Sunday our group will get together for a modeling weekend.
He's a great guy and a good friend. But I have learned not to be holding my breathe on this one. :roll:

Oh well. The NAUTILUS is safe for now. I am waiting now for the Moebius SKIPJACK kit to finally come out. I have her on pre-order. I've already paid for an upgrade kit to convert her to RC. I plan on using her as a guide to make the NAUTILUS ready for RC also.

I have bunches of other smaller projects to keep me busy in the meantime.

- Leelan
modelnut
SubCommittee Member

Postby Waffel42 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:10 pm

Any updates?
I'm working on a similar Nautilus this winter, tube with cone ends, learning how to fiberglass.
My first, more boat shaped fiberglass Nautilus attempt uh... did not...go...*ahem*..well.
The tube, cone ends one I'm working on now is much better, 40.5 inches, 5.5 inch ID.

I want to make a Nautilus II sometime in 2013 that will look very much like your version, whare can you ger those paper patterns?
Waffel42
SubCommittee Member

Postby modelnut » Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:26 pm

http://ecardmodels.com/1100-vernes-nautilus-submarine-paper-model-p-1973.html

It's in 1:100 scale. If you are going for 72nd scale like me then you need to enlarge the paper model by 138.88%.

Haven't made any progress in a while. I am getting my new studio (Man Cave) set up. I just got a new combination spray booth and dust sucker. So I am sure to make progress come the Spring. And I am working on the Moebius Skipjack model which is so close to the size and specs of Jules Verne's Nautilus that they might as well be cousins. What I learn from one will go well on the other. :D

- Leelan
modelnut
SubCommittee Member

Postby modelnut » Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:32 pm

Oops.

Remember that Jules Verne's specs for the boat are 70 meters long and 8 meters in diameter. Miller's design as expressed in this card model is a little short. You might want to add an inch or two.

- Leelan
modelnut
SubCommittee Member

Postby Waffel42 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:26 am

Cool, my design for my Nautilus II is verry similar, I can probobly use this model as a base rather than using foam again, thanks!
I am trying to make mine as practical as possible, so my Nautilus will also have mountings for spar and draggable topedos, I've also created control surfaces and propguards that are protected from any debris that my come from ramming a target. Naturaly this means I had to make a pretty liberal translation of Vern's specs, though with the Nautilus II, I may stick a bit closer to the dimensions and just give it a few late 19th/very early 20th century modernizations
I was also going to prototype with a Civil War topedo boat, David class, using the same mold, probobly make the Nautilus a bit longer.
Waffel42
SubCommittee Member

Postby hakkikt » Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:13 am

That's a problem every Nautilus builder will be facing - since Verne invented the sub in his mind and not in the pool, he had a few technical solutions that just didn't work. Such as mounting the diving planes at the centre of gravity, thinking that they had the most effect there. :)
- mobilis in mobili -
SC#1604
hakkikt

Previous

Return to Builder Threads