Banner Ad 1

Hitec Radio

Place for general submarine conversation

Hitec Radio

Postby Alexander The Great » Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:23 pm

Ok, I just need a simple answer to this question.

I plan to buy a Engel Gato in the near future, and I hope to use a Hitec Aurora 9 Synthesized transmitter and Hitec Freedom 9 Channel Synthesized receiver, both on 72 MHz. Will this transmitter/receiver work well for a Engel Gato? I will have them converted to 75 MHz via Radio South.

Click on the link to get more information on both the Hitec Aurora 9 Synthesized transmitter and Hitec Freedom 9 Channel Synthesized receiver - http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wt ... LXXCZ6&P=0

This brings up another question - Can I use a Spectra 75 MHz Module as a replacement for the Spectra Pro 72 MHz Module that is included with the transmitter, receiver, etc? On Tom's R/C it does not say so. Here is the link to the Spectra 75 MHz Module on Tom's R/C- http://shop.tomsrc.com/product_info.php ... cts_id=648

Regards, Alex

P.S. If the following radio equipment mentioned above works for a Engel Gato, then I'm going to buy it as soon as I can - it's all too soon gone forever! :( :cry:
The job ain't done when you are on the couch watching football 2 hours early.
Alexander The Great

Re: Hitec Radio

Postby Giovanni » Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:15 pm

Send an email to Radio South and he can give you a definite answer.
He takes a few days to respond, but he is very experienced with conversions.
The Graupner MC-19 40MHz radio is a wiser choice because it is a computerized radio with marine, car and aircraft programming. I have an Aurora 9 radio and it only has aircraft programming. Radio South is converting my MC-19 to 2.4GHz & 75MHz transmitter modules. He is using a HiTec Aurora 9 2.4GHz module and the HiTec Spectra 75MHz synthesized module. I will be able to use my iPad or my iPhone with the HiTec telemetry system for full color graphic data screen dashboard when the model is on the surface. This is a nice feature for the maiden voyage to make adjustments.
I will have land, air and marine with one radio with the flick of the Jeti locking 3-position toggle switch. The radio accepts up to a 12 volt transmitter battery. Hyperion makes a very sweet Lipo transmitter battery that will last up to 2 months before charging and that is with regular usage.
Kind regards,
Giovanni

Alexander Engel 1/48th scale Gato
Graupner MC-19 radio converted to 75MHZ

"Anything one man can imagine, other men can make real." — Jules Verne
Giovanni
SubCommittee Member

Postby Alexander The Great » Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:11 pm

Giovanni,

Do you know of any other transmitter that has marine programming? It's nice to know about the Graupner MC-19 but I do not know where to get one, Ebay doesn't have one. :shock:

It is interesting about the way you can change the programming simply by flicking a switch, I've read another post where 'someone' thought you couldn't do that, but I don't know.

I guess I have to stick to transmitters that have marine programming. Sigh. There goes another of my options. :cry:

At least I have nothing to lose :D
Alexander The Great

Postby JWLaRue » Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:22 pm

What is it that you think you would be getting with "marine programming? Get a(ny) good computer radio (on or converted to 75MHz) and you'll be good to go.

-Jeff
Rohr 1.....Los!
JWLaRue
SubCommittee Member

Postby Giovanni » Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:34 pm

Jeff,
I very much respect your wisdom and enjoy reading your comments.
Why not use a computer radio that has the marine icons on the LCD screen and none of the aircraft symbols and numerous dedicated switches? Show us where the radio programming for ailerons applies to my sailboat or submarine? I have aircraft radios and they are great but not perfect for marine use. Why not have a marine radio that is reasonably priced. I have a few of these.
I am the guy that suggested to everyone on the forum to go with brushless motors, Lipo batteries and a digital Subcommitte Magazine and was critisized, years ago. Change is very difficult sometimes but can be rewarding when finally accepted. I look to build outside conventional methods and have created some leading edge products, that I manufacture and market in the world.
The Graupner MC-19 40MHz radio can be found by doing a Google search. It will point you to the European EBay, where there are many used bargain-priced MC-19 radios for sale. I bought mine on EBay from a German fellow and it was equipped with all of the optional switches for expanding the functions.
A marine radio with both frequencies will be a good investment because you can recoup your money if and when you sell it. There is not much depreciation as an aircraft radio. Look at the Futaba 9 CAP radio. It was over $1,000.00 new but now on the used market is $150.00 - $300.00.
A used Robbe F-14 Navy is $200-$300.00. I bought mine new for $300.00 delivered.
Kind regards,
Giovanni

Giovanni
SubCommittee Member

Postby JWLaRue » Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:06 pm

Giovanni wrote:....Why not use a computer radio that has the marine icons on the LCD screen and none of the aircraft symbols and numerous dedicated switches? Show us where the radio programming for ailerons applies to my sailboat or submarine?

I am the guy that suggested to everyone on the forum to go with .... a digital Subcommitte Magazine and was critisized, years ago.....

I understand desire to have marine icons on the transmitter screen (I'd like them too), but I've never let it stop me from programming one of these things to do what I want it to.

Your point about dedicated switches is valid with respect to the majority of Japanese radios. My preference is the Multiplex Evo style radios where there is no pre-defined association between switches, channels, and mixers....i.e. complete flexibility. They are a completely customizable platform. :)

I don't remember your postings advocating a digital SCR (sorry!). I had been advocating for the same thing for over a decade....and getting criticized too. I guess that's the price of change, eh? (I do wish the recent transition that we went through was more proactive and less a reactive one due to finances, but that's life.)

-Jeff
Rohr 1.....Los!
JWLaRue
SubCommittee Member

Postby Giovanni » Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:16 pm

I think that the digital magazine is very good with high-res images and the fact that the publication could potentially provide a member to open a link to veiw other sites is smart.
I plan to post images of my Graupner MC-19 dual transmitter conversion when the electronics tech returns it. I'm planning to buy my son the same radio if it proves useful.
I'm wondering if I can exchange the standard extension antenna for the Graupner whip, without compromising the signal to the submarine.
What do you think, Jeff ?

http://www.engel-modellbau.eu/catalog/p ... ts_id=2003
Kind regards,
Giovanni

Giovanni
SubCommittee Member

Postby JWLaRue » Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:04 pm

I know of some who have done just that (gone to the whip) and have seen no degradation in performance. Certainly makes it easy to use!

How about considering doing a write-up on your radio search and conversion for the SCR? It would certainly be of interest to the membership.

-Jeff
Rohr 1.....Los!
JWLaRue
SubCommittee Member

Postby Giovanni » Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:27 pm

Jeff,
It would be a pleasure to do a write up.
Kind regards,
Giovanni

Giovanni
SubCommittee Member

Postby Alexander The Great » Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:07 am

Hey,

I found a radio that has marine programming, the Robbe Futaba FC-16 Boat + Truck R/C System 6/8/1 40 MHz. It has marine programming and truck programming, too. It is on the Engel website. Here, go to - http://www.engel-modellbau.eu/catalog/p ... ts_id=1741

Giovanni, in order to convert 40 to 75 MHz, do you send the transmitter, receiver, and module to Radio South? I thought that Radio South couldn't convert 40 to 75 MHz, so this is weird for me. Stuck on the fence, I guess. :lol:

Anyone know what module it uses? What about the switch thingy that expands one channel to, lets say, 8 functions? Does that also need to be converted to 75 MHz?

Man, this has gone wild! :D
Alexander The Great

Postby Giovanni » Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:38 am

Radio South can absolutely do the conversions.
You want to send to the radio tech the transmitter and receiver modules that you plan to mate up with your radio.
The Robbe F-16 is good and you can convert it to the Robbe Navy Twin-Stick option, for controlling 2 motors, but it is a lot of money by the time you add the expense of the conversion. I have the Robbe F14 Navy Twin-Stick in 75MHz and it is very nice but not computerized. It is expandable with switches, too. The radio conversion operates and is compatible with all of the optional switches. You may want to wait and see my Graupner MC-19 after I get the conversion finished. Never get in a hurry buying rc equipment. You may want to wait until you are ready to build your sub first. Something good always comes to those who are patient.
I waited a few years to find a second-hand Engel Gato kit to be listed for sale and bought it right in my very own neighborhood for only $700.00! :mrgreen:
Kind regards,
Giovanni

Giovanni
SubCommittee Member

Postby Bigdave » Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:24 am

I have so called marine programming on my Multiplex MC 4000.
Be careful what you wish for as it is normally based on two or more channel race boats not multi channel subs or scale targets.
In the end they all program the same. :roll:
I tried the Marine setting on a sub once and it was a PITA! :?
Full of mixture settings and things I did not even need.
One suggestion I have is if you are intending to get more than one radio stick with the same brand.
There are so many differences between the different radio programming it will get confusing. Trust me! :lol: BD.
David Welch
Commodore SR-8

"Eat your pudding Mr Land". "I ain't sure it's puddin" James Mason-Kirk
Douglas, 20K
Bigdave
SubCommittee Member

Postby Giovanni » Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:32 am

Hi Big Dave,
Have you programmed the Graupner MC-19 40MHz transmitter?
The radio programming logic is user friendly.
Not very many people have on this side of the world.
Why not buy a good used MC-19 for around $200.00 and convert it?
I'm planning to post photos of the wiring configuration for the conversion.
This will show anyone interested in converting an MC-19 the method.
Kind regards,
Giovanni

Giovanni
SubCommittee Member

Postby Alexander The Great » Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:40 am

Yea, I know that good things always go to the people who wait. :D But... :? :?:

It won't be long before the radio I need is discontinued, and by the way, I didn't win a Futaba 9 CAP, I lost to $20. But then again, a friend of mine told me that I was paying too much, and told me that it was only worth somewhere around $200. Before, I thought it was worth $1,000. Man, what a difference! So I just let it go. Bad idea. :lol: :oops:

Anyone know of a good radio that is still out there? :!:

BD, I WILL be using radio equipment that fits under one brand, even servos. :D

Giovanni, show some pics of the MC-19. Oh yea, give me a link to the "european ebay". I can't get to it. :shock: And elsewhere on the internet, I can't find anything, all I see is stuff that is not even related to what I need. :shock: :shock:
Alexander The Great

Postby JWLaRue » Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:13 pm

Giovanni wrote:Jeff,
It would be a pleasure to do a write up.

Excellent!

-Jeff
Rohr 1.....Los!
JWLaRue
SubCommittee Member

Next

Return to General