Banner Ad 1

Neptune SB-1 Auto Protection System

Place for general submarine conversation

Neptune SB-1 Auto Protection System

Postby jimbu » Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:35 pm

I just bought a new Neptune SB-1 (RTR) and have just started some tests in tub. Does anybody know what the factory low voltage is suppose to be set at that the water pump (auto protection mode) starts coming on? Mine is coming on at just over 10 volts. This happened after about 10 minutes of use, sitting in tub, one dive and testing the auto protection system by shutting off the transmit radio. I thought the sub battery was fully charged, but unsure. I do know the voltage was just over 10 when I shut everything down and checked it.
jimbu

Re: Neptune SB-1 Auto Protection System

Postby subdude » Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:15 pm

That sounds about right for the stock battery. If you want to adjust it lower, it's quite easy. I set mine for 9.1 as I'm running a 5000 mAh 3S Lipo pack instead of the stock SLA.

There is a pot on the main circuit board that you can adjust to set the cutoff voltage. Look at the picture below. The little pot at the very top of the picture (blue box with yellow screw adjustment in the center) is the one you need to adjust. The easy way is to set your adjustable power supply to the desired voltage, then turn the pot until the pump comes on. Verify by powering down, turn the voltage up some, power the boat up, then slowly reduce the voltage until the pump kicks in.

Underwater, the ONLY way to fly!

SubCommittee member #0069 (since the dawn of time)
subdude
SubCommittee Member

Postby jimbu » Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:00 pm

I did another test in the hot tub tonight. I charged everything up. I ran it for a few minutes, and the pump started running. Could not dive, etc. I know the battery in the sub was charged, and also radio.
what gives?
jimbu

Postby jimbu » Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:02 pm

I am now thinking the battery is bad, because I have no leaks, radio battery was charged 100%
Not a happy camper here............
jimbu

Postby JWLaRue » Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:10 pm

In the past some have reported that the charger that comes with this sub does not correctly charge the battery. If you have a way to use a different charger as a test that may help pinpoint the problem.

-Jeff
Rohr 1.....Los!
JWLaRue
SubCommittee Member

Postby jimbu » Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:17 pm

Thanks, I have heard that also. I have charged the orginal battery to max, doesn't seem to work. What Li pol battery did you install?
jimbu

Postby jimbu » Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:20 pm

Sorry, didn't see you posted the battery, got it now. I will try different battery. All the related problems seems related to voltage, thanks!
jimbu

Postby subdude » Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:23 pm

I used a 5000 mAh LiPo from Hobby King. Be aware of a few things:

This will slow the speed of an already fairly slow boat. I highly recommend swapping the prop for the power one from LoyalHanna Dockyard.

You WILL need to reset the cutoff voltage, as 3S Lipo only starts at 11.1 volts, and needs to be cut off at 9 volts min.

You will also need to add a pile of weight in the bottom tray, as the LiPo only weighs half of what the SLA battery does.

The Lipo is slightly smaller that the stock SLA, so you'll need to make shims to hold it in place. I used pink foam.

You'll also need to use a LiPo charger, and preferably balance the cells.

That all said, it doubled my run time. :D
Underwater, the ONLY way to fly!

SubCommittee member #0069 (since the dawn of time)
subdude
SubCommittee Member

Postby jimbu » Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:12 pm

Thank you for the information. I tried a couple of other chargers out on the battery. I got about 1 hour finially with not going into protection mode last night. I put a varable power supply on today, the protection mode kicks in from factory at around 9.25 volts, so I left that alone. I ran the motor in different cycles to break it in. Doing another test run tonight.
jimbu

Postby jimbu » Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:46 pm

This is sub in hot tub, test trials.............
jimbu

Return to General