Banner Ad 1

Radios for Engel subs

R/C Submarine modelers

Radios for Engel subs

Postby Alexander The Great » Wed May 30, 2012 3:39 pm

Okay, with all the radios going to 2.4 GHz, it is becoming way harder to find a MHz radio.
In the next several months, I will be buying a Engel sub with switch unit TMAX, and, of course, I will need a radio that suits it.
My standards are;
1. The radio must have enough channels for everything without using a switch module. (I would prefer 8 channels or more)
2. It must be a computer radio. (The sub will contain a pitch and depth controller and a static depth controller)
3. The brand must be Futaba or Hitec or any other brand that is compatible with Engel connector plugs, etc.
4. It has to suit switch unit TMAX

The following radios are found on the Tower Hobbies web site. The radios that are suitable for me are have 4, 6, 9, and 10 channels. Some of the radios are in 72 MHz but at least can be converted to 75 mhz. There is one radio that is on 27 MHz, I think. I believe it is a AM radio.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wt ... SNP1**&P=0 (This radio is AM modulation and has 4 channels. It is a computer radio and is on 27 MHz)

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0093p?&C=JEJ (There are 3 radios on this web page. They are on 72/75 MHz and are not computer radios. They are 4 channel radios and are all FM modulated)

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0093p?&C=JJJ (There are 5 radios on this web page. The frequency is unknown for the Hitec radios but are known for the Futaba radios. They are in 72MHz. They are all FM radios and have 6 channels)

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wt ... LXXCZ6&P=0 (This radio is FM modulation and has 9 channels. It is a computer radio and is on 72 MHz)

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wt ... LXVPE0&P=V (This radio is PCM modulation and has 10 channels. It is a computer radio and is on 72 MHz. There are 2-3 versions of it)

Also, there is one 8 channel computer radio on Caswell Plating. It is on 75 MHz and is FM/PPM modulated.
http://www.caswellplating.com/rc-modeli ... itter.html
It's receiver is a Sombra Labs SL-8-it is on 72/75 MHZ, is FM/PPM modulated, is a 8 channel receiver, and works with the radio(s) above.
http://www.caswellplating.com/rc-modeli ... 75mhz.html

You could go look on the Sombra Labs web page. Here, go to
http://www.sombralabs.com/

Thoughts?

-Alexander The Great
The job ain't done when you are on the couch watching football 2 hours early.
Alexander The Great

Re: Radios for Engel subs

Postby Wayne Frey » Wed May 30, 2012 8:43 pm

Sure,
Go down 3-4 threads in this same section. We have been talking about this on and off for a bit.
BTW, I will be running a TMAX 2 Engel tank setup in the Borie (look in the build thread), and a single tank Engel in my X tail Akula (also in the build thread). Roughly the same demands, so you may be thinking of something like I bought. I also bought several Sombra Labs to go with my switchable radio so that I can change to any frequency in the field in a few minutes, with no extra parts.
I like your thinking :)
SCM #653
SubCommittee Vice President 2006-2008
Author-Russian Submarines, Guardians of the Motherland
Member-Saint Petersburg Russia Submarine Club
Wayne Frey
SubCommittee Member

Postby Alexander The Great » Wed May 30, 2012 8:57 pm

Thanks for the comment,

I probably won't know which radio I will use until I know what sub the radio is going to be used in. This has already been settled for my next sub, the Engel Lafayette. After I finish it, I will probably go for a sub like a Engel Gato, or VIIC, or even the IXD2. I don't want to get too far ahead of my self.

I have heard of the Futaba 9CAP, however, I can't seem to find this radio anywhere, even though it is a great radio.
Alexander The Great

Postby Wayne Frey » Thu May 31, 2012 6:00 am

I searched ebay. I have been looking, since I heard about them. There is one posted almost constantly.Got mine within a week of starting to look. I am going to pick up a second transmitter when I get around to it, so it will be possible to run both boats at the same time, when they are done. But, with minimal effort, you will find one there.
I dont think which boat you get will make any difference on the transmitter, after you decide how many working features you will need.
In my case, a two tank boat, with bow planes also, two option lights, and MAYBE a camera or torpedeos later, (or even if a man were to do both), the 9CAP should be more than capable.
Of course, I have not used it yet, but see no reason why it would not work just fine.
You can learn tons by going to an upcoming regatta. It's worth it. In two days, you will learn what will take months on your own. There is tons of talent, and a great bunch of guys to meet. Money and time spent you will not regret.
Buy the boat. Start building.
SCM #653
Wayne Frey
SubCommittee Member

Postby Alexander The Great » Thu May 31, 2012 10:26 am

Maybe I just didn't see it :mrgreen: .

I did see a posting of the Futaba 9CAP, but it was already sold :cry: . Then again, like you said, they probably would start appearing around Ebay at random times. Therefore, I need a hawk's eyes :lol: .

I do wonder if the 9 or 10 channel radios I found on Tower Hobbies would work. They do meet my requirements. I'm going to have to contact Tony at RadioSouth to see how much it would cost to convert a 72 MHz to a 75MHz. I am expecting a high price, since the radios themselves are several hundred dollars. Thank God I am in the U.S., since shipping would have killed me :wink: .

I changed one of my requirements. I decided to have the piston tanks run of 2 UNIpro BTSs, since the "dial-a-depth" idea was convincing and the need for only 2 channels made it very convincing :mrgreen: .

I wonder if I can ever get hands on that radio. Then again, I need to have a over-stuffed fat wallet to afford everything (shipping will probably take about 1/8th of my budget!)

Post a link to this radio if you ever see around Ebay or someplace else.

Alexander The Great
Alexander The Great

Postby Wayne Frey » Thu May 31, 2012 9:58 pm

SCM #653
Wayne Frey
SubCommittee Member

Postby Alexander The Great » Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:01 pm

Too bad it is just the transmitter. :cry:
Anyways, I think that the Hitec Aurora 9 Synthesized 72MHz Tx & Freedom 9Ch Syn is my best option. The 10 channel one is PCM modulation, and after downloading the instructions on every single sub and reading them, I found out that FM/PPM is the best modulation to go since it does not 'fight' the electronics and glitch a lot. Then I guess I will go with it. Hopefully, it won't go out of stock. :|
Alexander The Great

Postby JWLaRue » Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:05 pm

Careful about synth'd transmitters. I'm not clear that the synth'd rf decks can be converted. (would love to find a way to do so, however!)

-Jeff
Rohr 1.....Los!
JWLaRue
SubCommittee Member

Postby Alexander The Great » Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:57 pm

Interesting, Jeff

I will have to do some research, and by the way, how much will it cost to convert a 72 MHz radio to 75 MHz? I haven't gotten around to asking Tony at RadioSouth how much it would cost, hopefully I could do it tonight.
Lets assume that Tony needs to convert the transmitter and receiver only, no extra stuff.

I'm crossing my fingers that it is less than $200.

My 3.75 cents worth!

Alex

P.S. I've never heard of problem with converting radios that have crystals and ones that are synthesized.
Alexander The Great

Postby JWLaRue » Fri Jun 01, 2012 6:33 pm

I haven't used Radio South (though I've heard good things about them). When I have had my Mutliplex Evo radios converted it was something like $30.

-Jeff
Rohr 1.....Los!
JWLaRue
SubCommittee Member

Postby Alexander The Great » Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:24 pm

Yay!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

I sent Tony a e-mail after trying to call him many times, hopefully he will respond very soon.
Alexander The Great

Postby JWLaRue » Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:58 pm

Alexander The Great wrote:I've never heard of problem with converting radios that have crystals and ones that are synthesized.

There are a couple of us that would like to get linked up with someone who can covert a synth'd RF deck.....

-Jeff
Rohr 1.....Los!
JWLaRue
SubCommittee Member

Postby Bigdave » Sat Jun 02, 2012 7:43 am

From what I was told you are better off starting with a synth deck like the Spectra on 75.
It is not just a tuning issue like in the crystal decks. :(
It is a whole other ball of wax and like turning lead into gold. :roll:
Not cost effective or even possable in most cases. :cry:
BTW Jeff! Find that MC4000 yet? :mrgreen: BD.
David Welch
Commodore SR-8

"Eat your pudding Mr Land". "I ain't sure it's puddin" James Mason-Kirk
Douglas, 20K
Bigdave
SubCommittee Member

Postby JWLaRue » Sat Jun 02, 2012 3:37 pm

...nope, not yet. :cry:

-Jeff

p.s. I fully agree with just starting with a synth rf deck the tis already on 75MHz. Still would love to get the Multiplex Evo synth deck converted however.....
Rohr 1.....Los!
JWLaRue
SubCommittee Member

Postby Alexander The Great » Sat Jun 02, 2012 11:14 pm

Hmm, lets see, I believe that a Sombra Labs SL-8 receiver will work with the Futaba 9CAP. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I think I will bid on that on the very last day. Hopefully the other offers aren't too high (below $100) :D

I'm thinking about a Engel Gato/IXD2/VIIC as a next project (after my Lafayette is done, it's about 25% done, I worked for hours! :D )

Futaba 9CAP, here I come! :D :D

Alex
Alexander The Great

Next

Return to R/C Modeler