Banner Ad 1

Function and use of bow planes?

Place for general submarine conversation

Function and use of bow planes?

Postby Ramius-II » Tue May 22, 2012 7:28 am

Hi All! :D
I know this will at first seem like a very simple and basic question and I was trying to understand how the bow planes are used in "normal" operation? That is, when you have a sub such as a Typhoon you have stern planes and bow planes. Since the bow planes are retractable it would seem that bow up/down would be controlled mainly by the stern planes? Okay, so if you deploy the bow planes now you have two sets of planes so how do the bow and stern planes interact? Are they tied electronically to each other so that both operate at the same time and do they move in the same direction (up/down) at the same time? When I look at the transmitter there seems to be only the one "joy stick" for up/down. There are also two "pots" on the transmitter so do you tie the bow planes (for example) to one of the two pots? Thanks for your time. Best, Ed
Just one more wire!
SC# 2268
WB6NSN
Ramius-II
SubCommittee Member

Re: Function and use of bow planes?

Postby Art Broder » Tue May 22, 2012 8:54 am

On most models I have seen, the stern planes are automatically controlling pitch, to keep the model level, while the bow planes are controlled by the transmitter stick to change depth.
Art
Art Broder
SubCommittee#0060
RCABS- It's easy to control your own bladder!
Art Broder
SubCommittee Member

Re: Function and use of bow planes?

Postby wlambing » Tue May 22, 2012 9:03 am

Do yourself a big favor and keep the planes servos separate! Very few people have been able to "gang" them together and get a well performing boat. As Art stated, the stern planes should be for angle control, and the bow, or sail planes, for depth control. The cool things about model subs is that the bow planes can either function or be fixed on "0" degrees and the stern planes will handle the control of angle and depth very well by themselves. On 1:1 scale boats the bow planes are typically rigged in (retracted) for high speed operations, as they are not needed for ship control.

Take care, have fun!!

Bill
"If you ignore the problem long enough, it will go away. Even flooding stops eventually!"
wlambing
SubCommittee Member

Return to General