Banner Ad 1

688i Bow Plane Shape?

Place for general submarine conversation

688i Bow Plane Shape?

Postby petn7 » Sun May 13, 2012 5:31 pm

Were the 688i bow planes shaped more like squares or trapezoids? So when the bow planes are extended, would the tips be parallel to the hull or would the tips be angled somewhat inward?

Any thoughts, theories, and opinions would be appreciated. :)
petn7
SubCommittee Member

Re: 688i Bow Plane Shape?

Postby Thor » Sun May 13, 2012 5:52 pm

Take the end of the plane and sand it to the hull shape. There you go. Leading and trailing edges are parallel.

Matt
Thor
SubCommittee Member

Postby petn7 » Sun May 13, 2012 7:48 pm

Thor wrote:Take the end of the plane and sand it to the hull shape. There you go. Leading and trailing edges are parallel.

Matt

I'm confused, but perhaps my initial post wasn't clear. When looking at the bow planes from above, the leading edge is shorter than the trailing edge, but the outside edge is parallel to the hull because of the slight curvature of the hull?

The reason I ask is because it seems like your 688i kit comes with two sets of bow planes.
petn7
SubCommittee Member

Postby Tom Dougherty » Tue May 15, 2012 10:58 am

When looking at the bow planes from above, the leading edge is shorter than the trailing edge, but the outside edge is parallel to the hull because of the slight curvature of the hull?

As Matt indicated, the leading and trailing edges are parrelel, and the outboard edge is parrelel, at a 90 degree angle, to the long axis of the hull. The planes rig out from the hull,and a short non-moving stub holds them. This appears to be curved, because of the curvature at the bow where the planes are stowed.
Since a picture is worth a thousand words, here's a rare shot of the USS Topeka in dry dock with the bow planes rigged out. Click on the picture twice for a higher resolution. The short stub that holds the bow plane can clearly be seen, and the line is the pivot point for the plane's movement up or down.

Tom Dougherty
Researcher for Project Azorian
Project Azorian Documentary: http://www.projectjennifer.at/
Project Azorian Book: http://www.usni.org/store/catalog-fall-2012/project-azorian
Tom Dougherty
SubCommittee Member

Postby petn7 » Tue May 15, 2012 6:37 pm

Tom Dougherty wrote:...the leading and trailing edges are parrelel, and the outboard edge is parrelel, at a 90 degree angle, to the long axis of the hull. The planes rig out from the hull,and a short non-moving stub holds them. This appears to be curved, because of the curvature at the bow where the planes are stowed.

Thanks for the picture.

I don't quite understand how that (the bolded sections from your post) can be. If the outside edge/tip of the bow plane is slightly curved such that it sits flush with the hull when the bow plane is retracted, then from looking at my 688i plans, there is no way the outboard edge can be perfectly parallel with the long axis of the hull just as the "stub" appears to be.
petn7
SubCommittee Member

Postby Thor » Tue May 15, 2012 7:53 pm

Shape it like I pointed out above and it will make sense to you when you see it.

Matt
Thor
SubCommittee Member

Return to General