Banner Ad 1

Project X-4th Generation Akula II

This is the place to post your submarine build- ups.

Re: Project X-4th Generation Akula II

Postby Wayne Frey » Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:09 pm

Dave, you are correct on the rubber mold thing. I am litterlly just using what is on hand. So every two days, I will spend a few minutes cleaning and "redressing" the mold. Not a biggie.
Yellow vs green??
Didn't you see "Meet the Parents"? Genuises choose green. :P
It is a good "coast mode"to slip through the holidays.
Missed the teaser clue of the braces fit and needed count, huh?
What could I be up to 8) 8) ??

Merry Christmas everyone!
SCM #653
SubCommittee Vice President 2006-2008
Author-Russian Submarines, Guardians of the Motherland
Member-Saint Petersburg Russia Submarine Club
Wayne Frey
SubCommittee Member

Postby Wayne Frey » Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:47 pm

Well, Jedi master Welch was correct. Clay mold is a poor choice!!
I started off needing only two saddles, so not a big deal to clean up. But actually, I could make a rubber mold in the time it took to clean one part!! So, after a resin catastrophy, (some resin that apparently expired, leaving a sticky alien-like mess!) I threw everything away, which was easier, and started over.
I made a rubber mold of the WTC saddles,and with Kevin Mac's permission for personal use, added two index tabs to the same mold. Just to keep it busy each pour, I put an upper hull brace in for the follow up boomer project, and the bulkhead for the propulsion shaft and bearing.
I learned to be humble :) Seeing the rubber mold would be the way to go, I stayed in the middle and got some Aluminite white casting resin. I used all the mix I had and made a bunch of saddles for the Akula and follow up boomer project that happens to use the same WTC saddles, index tabs for both boats,bulkhead for both boats, and the upper hull braces for the long boomer so it will not flex as much. Got that idea from Pete's Ohio.
In all, I casted a dozen saddles, 8 braces, 5 bulkheads, and about 20 tabs, along with two cups of coffee!!
Winter is beginning to ease a little. I will start doing more soon.
SCM #653
Wayne Frey
SubCommittee Member

Postby U552 » Sat Jan 23, 2010 5:13 pm

Hi again from Madrid. How are you planning to make the closure of the hull? Z cut?
U552

Postby spongjim » Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:10 pm

I will be trying to finish this master piece Wayne has designed . I got her on the bench and putting in the saddles for the wtc,and aligning the hull halves. Pictures to come in the next couple days.

Jim
spongjim
SubCommittee Member

Postby greenman407 » Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:19 am

Alright winter is over! :roll: :)
There are OLD pilots and there are BOLD pilots but there are very few OLD BOLD pilots. MAG
greenman407

Postby Wayne Frey » Sat May 12, 2012 6:08 pm

She's back home!!
I am working on the Borei right now, but will like get back on this one after I get to a point on the Borei. Mostly because I can finish this one quicker.
As well as Jim packed it,and he did a fine job, almost predictably, two of the stern planes are broken by Dr Evil's shipping Company.
Does not matter though. I can fix that in a day.
She's back!! :D
SCM #653
Wayne Frey
SubCommittee Member

Postby spongjim » Sat May 12, 2012 10:37 pm

You have got to be kidding me , I built a complete cradle for that sub and it still got damaged? I hate shipping subs ,I think they know whats in the box and do all they can to break it. Sorry sir I tried hard to prevent that.

Jim
spongjim
SubCommittee Member

Postby Wayne Frey » Sun May 13, 2012 7:06 am

No problem Jim. I can fix it in short order. I will use some spare resin, while going through the steps on the Borei. I hate wasting resin anyway. It always seems like I am throwing away more than I use, when I use the West Sytem pumps. Usually, I need very small amounts.
But, as I said before, I dont mind. It is an easy fix. It mostly pleases me to have her back. More than I thought it would.
I will post repairs here, just to keep the board going.
SCM #653
Wayne Frey
SubCommittee Member

Postby Wayne Frey » Sun May 20, 2012 12:39 pm

Beginning structural repairs from the shipping damage:

Not too hard. I did this before my resin harden while I am working on the Borie.
I roughed up the mating surfaces with the Dremel. I then used a toothpick, (of which it seems I use mostly, that and popsicle sticks), pallied resin to both surfaces, and set it back together. It fit pretty precise, falling into the prior contours. I will have to go back later and redo that, of course. I then taped it down, and let it dry.

The only other shipping damage was on another surface, down at the bottom, broken in two, but held together by the pin.
I again broke out the Dremel, and cut a 45 angle into the surface, for a stronger adhesion. Then it was just a matter of waiting on the Borei's next resin mix, and plopping a little in there. Later I will turn it over, do the same on the other side,sand, and prime.
Good as new.
SCM #653
Wayne Frey
SubCommittee Member

Previous

Return to Builder Threads