What? You thought this was a dead build? No way! Attrition will be the only thing that stops this and the X tail!
However, 100 plus summer weather I just did not feel like messing around in the garage. Once summer faded down to 90 and below, I will work.
So, here is what I did.
First, I used my spare akula hull and cut out my index lips. They are slightly curved, and to my way of thinking, would fit inside the tube nicely.
Now, to show how I fixed something.
With the tubes glassed to the bow and stern sections, I lost a little in the cut, and another problem (more on that later).
The inex lips worked great. However, the lower half when slid into the bow was too low. I jammed popsicle sticks into the sides where the lips are, "lifting" the tube to flush with the bow. I would fill in the gap in the sides shown in a minute, to hold the lower half tight to the bow and even.
First, what I am talking about:
I put wax paper inside the length of the index lip,taped inside and out, so that the resin I was about to pour, would fill the gap to the upper half,leaving the thickness of the wax paper, for a tight fit. This idea eventaully worked out nicely. I taped the lower hull with more wax paper, rotate the hull so that the resin would fill the gaps, and filled. I had the popsicle stick hold the hull halves tight for alingment like shown before, until a significant portion of the index gaps had dried overnight, then removed the sticks. The hull stayed in place, and I finished filling where the sticks were.
I had also used my spare akula hull the make a full, contoured index lip in the stern upper. Since the cuts are in different locations on my two projects, I will do the same later on the X tail.
Note: You can see the index lips through the translucent hull, cool huh?
Wax paper on upper half
Filling gap in lower z cut with resin:
After filling in the index with resin, I left the halves together, tore off the wax paper, and sanded down to the halves :
Stern and bow fit. I had to "burn through" the gel coat in places to get them to match up. They are close, conture wise, but a little more is needed.
However, the gaps are gone. In some places it used to be nearly 1/4 inch!! It now sildes together like a bought kit too.
Now, we get to where I have the right idea, but wrong material.
I liked the outcome of the wax paper seam results. I noticed that the tube had "pulled in" slightly where I had cut it. You can feel it with your finger, but can see it if you squint and look down the lenght of the hull.
So, I put a yard stick in the mix. I repeated the wax paper on the hull lenght thing, except put the yard stick on one side of the seperation line. I then put evercoat the length of the hull, on just one side of the seam. Once dry, I removed the stick, flipped the wax paper over the evercoat,pulled it tight and taped it down, and used it a a dam and built up the opposite side. I intended to conture sand all this, figuring I would be cool since I had a glass-to-glass fit anyway. Right?
I also began taking away the trace for the sonar dome outline, and filled in a few deliniated flood holes not in place on the Borei. The sonar dome is not much more than a slight coloration difference in real life, so at 1/96, that needed to disappear.
Now, here is where it all was this morning:
(Oh yea, I am sitting on a same scale 1/96 Kilo too
So, I took a piece of the G12 tube and laid it over the joint and confirmed a suspicion. The "pull in" is a little broader than thought, even though you cannot see it. I will have to take the evercoat off completely, and go back with a layer or two of fiberglass, and sand it into submission!!
So, I took it all off with a dremel and a sanding disc. You talk about a white layer of dust over the entire garage!!!
And kids, eye protection and a really good respirator is worthwhile. That dust was very fine and all over me. But my fuelly dragster respirator kept it out of my lungs.
Anyway, Here it is this evening. I sanded the G12 tube back several inches for adhesion for the glass, and evercoat removed.
So, after watching the Grayling build, I feel like a monkey slinging poo. Using popsicle sticks,toothpicks, and wax paper. No lathe. But, I am having fun. I do hear voices sometimes. "Part of the ship, part of the crew" , while working away
I will post again once I get the seams contour fixed, and hopefully, primed. I want to get on the deck!!