Banner Ad 1

Need a custom PE set made

Place for general submarine conversation

Need a custom PE set made

Postby modelnut » Sun Apr 15, 2012 2:21 pm

Do any of you know who I should contact?

The last one I had done was from MMI but he has since closed up shop. :(

It is a fairly big job. It's for a 72 scale Type XXI submarine I hope to be working on soon.

Here is one man's attempt:

But this is more like what I am shooting for:

I think I will need a good PE set to get those limber and flood/drain holes that precise.

- Leelan
modelnut
SubCommittee Member

Re: Need a custom PE set made

Postby Sub culture » Sun Apr 15, 2012 2:39 pm

Yikes! Did they use a blowtorch to cut those slots out with?

This company does the photoetched parts for OTW-

http://www.chempix.com/index.html

if you can do some basic CAD, then do consider waterjet cutting, as this can be more economical for one-offs.
'Why are you staring at an empty pond?'

Want to dive your boat in crystal clear water? Then you had better Dive-in- http://www.diveintomodelsubmarines.co.uk
Sub culture
SubCommittee Member

Postby modelnut » Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:40 pm

No blowtorch. But just as crude.

That top image is the old Combat Models kit. The bottom one was going to be offered by Rogue Subworks but not anymore. Czechoslovakia wanted too much in duties to make it worth selling. Which is very sad since it looks like a very sweet kit.

I will keep that address in mind.

Thank you!
- Leelan
modelnut
SubCommittee Member

Postby Rogue Sub » Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:03 pm

Ouch
Now I understand why you were so unhappy..
Kevin
A Global Force For Good

http://WWW.ROGUESUBWORKS.COM
Rogue Sub

Postby modelnut » Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:24 pm

Rogue Sub wrote:Ouch
Now I understand why you were so unhappy..

LOL!

No. That is not this man's attempt. I just found that example somewhere online when I was looking for an alternative to your kit.

That is the Combat Models kit. I just got mine in the mail. The vacuformed part is more detailed than the one you were going to carry from Czechoslovakia. But those details are crude, probably inaccurate, and do not come with a PE set. I am trying to find some one who can make me a one-off to make up the difference.

- Leelan
modelnut
SubCommittee Member

Postby Sub culture » Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:40 am

I didn't realize you were getting a new kit, or that it was vac-formed.

Bearing that in mind you have two alternatives, you can chain drill and file the slots by hand- long slow job, but you should get a tidy result if you're any good. The second alternative is to have sheets either CNC milled or water jet cut from styrene or ABS, much in the way Robbe do for their larger Type XXI.
'Why are you staring at an empty pond?'

Want to dive your boat in crystal clear water? Then you had better Dive-in- http://www.diveintomodelsubmarines.co.uk
Sub culture
SubCommittee Member

Postby JWLaRue » Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:02 pm

Leelan,

I've done a fair amount of PE work for r/c subs, including work on behalf of one of our better known vendors. I've also used Chempix as one of the chemical milling companies to make the actual parts.

In terms of cost, for doing a one-time set of parts it will likley be more cost effective to go the CNC milled or water jet approach. To go the PE route, you are talking costs of several hundred dollars/pounds to get the tooling (negatives) made...and that assumes that you provide them with camera-ready drawings. Then you would add the cost of actually getting the PE parts made.

If you are in a position to do the drawings yourself, I'd suggest taking a look at acquiring one of those 'hobbyist' PE kits from companies like Micro-Mark. It wont allow you to make a part that is very large (like say the deck of a U-boat), but will be perfectly fine for making vents, strainers, and other smaller detail parts.

-hope this helps,

Jeff
Rohr 1.....Los!
JWLaRue
SubCommittee Member

Postby modelnut » Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:08 pm

Thank you everyone!

I have been contacted by someone I have dealt with in the past. He and I will dicker to see what might be possible and what I can afford. I had thought that he had quit the business but it appears he is not above taking the odd job now and then. I will keep you posted.

- Leelan
modelnut
SubCommittee Member

Postby salmon » Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:38 pm

Leelan,
Does he do water jet or is it PE?
Inquiring minds want to know.
Peace,
Tom
If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.
salmon
SubCommittee Member

Postby modelnut » Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:14 pm

I will have to ask. I never thought to before.

- Leelan
modelnut
SubCommittee Member

Postby modelnut » Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:07 pm

I know. I know. Many people told me not to buy a Combat Models kit. But I did it anyway.

It doesn't appear to be a bad kit. It's just not the right size. It is 20% off. Instead of being 42 inches long and 72 scale as advertised, it is 34 inches long and 89 scale. :(

I guess I will have to either wait for another vendor to offer an accurate kit or scratchbuild the sub myself.

Nobody said submarine modeling would be easy. :evil:

- Leelan
modelnut
SubCommittee Member

Postby modelnut » Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:04 pm

Had the idea overnight to build my 72 scale sub around the 89 scale. The kit as it is is not bad. The conning tower is pretty weak and unformed. Even if I was going to build the boat as-is I would probably end up throwing that piece away.

I just wish that the manufacturer believed in "truth in advertising" instead of "buyer beware". If you are going to offer an HO scale submarine say so. Don't tell the world that it is 72 scale when it isn't.

OK. I will start a builders thread when I start this project. I'm already working on another drastic overhaul with the Lindberg IJN I-53 kit. :roll: One mess at a time.

- Leelan
modelnut
SubCommittee Member

Return to General