Banner Ad 1

North Korean missile launch

Place for general submarine conversation

North Korean missile launch

Postby Carcharadon » Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:28 am

News reports indicate the launch was a failure and the missile, with its payload, went down in the ocean. I would guess that the payload, claimed to be a weather satellite, would be of much interest to the US. I wonder if we know where it went down and if we will attempt a salvage operation?
Carcharadon

Re: North Korean missile launch

Postby redboat219 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:42 am

I more interested in knowing why or how it failed. Was it due to poor workmanship/ technology or did somebody sabotaged it?
"Make it simple, make it strong-and make it work!" - Mikhail Mil
redboat219

Postby Rogue Sub » Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:52 am

bugs bunny bugs bunny rah rah rah or a secret satellite mounted laser..
Kevin
A Global Force For Good

http://WWW.ROGUESUBWORKS.COM
Rogue Sub

Postby Tom Dougherty » Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:45 am

Kevin, NO! Incorrect!
The missile guidance was "tumbled" from a secret underwater lair by the notorious international criminal,
Dr. No
Dr. No was attempting to start an international incident by redirecting the missile to downtown Seoul, but the missile broke up with the sharp turn to the right.

Normally, Dr. No would then by apprehended by a certain British Agent. However, due to the recent switchover of the 00 division from dry martinis to
more carbohydrate rich beer, that certain British Agent was not in shape to catch this international criminal. Too much hops...

Fortunately an American Crime Fighter stepped in, apprehended the evil Dr. No, and is shown here questioning him:

Doesn't that make much more sense than your explanation??

In reality, about a minute after launch is when a missile hits what is called "Maximum Dynamic Pressure" (MaxQ), where the rapidly accelerating missile transits the maximum force of the (rapidly diminishing) atmospheric pressure. The Space Shuttle used to throttle down to pass through this region. It may be that this is the point of maximum stress at which the North Korean missile structure failed. Don't know if we will ever know for sure.
I more interested in knowing why or how it failed. Was it due to poor workmanship/ technology or did somebody sabotaged it?

As James Oberg pointed out a few days ago in commenting on the North Korean effort , "Space is hard". If you look at our early failure rates in the 1950's with the early Thor or Atlas missiles, there is a steep learning curve in building reliable hardware. This is, IIRC, only the third attempt by North Korea, so they are still early on that curve.

I would guess there is also some intelligence interest in examining what payload was really under the nosecone shroud of the missile.
SSN-23, Departing??
Tom Dougherty
Researcher for Project Azorian
Project Azorian Documentary: http://www.projectjennifer.at/
Project Azorian Book: http://www.usni.org/store/catalog-fall-2012/project-azorian
Tom Dougherty
SubCommittee Member

Postby redboat219 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:26 pm

Maybe they were trying to lob a giant space mirror that will reflect sunlight so that they can growth crops even in the winter OR focus the sun's rays into one powerful beam capable of burning through the minefields of the DMZ. :D
redboat219

Postby Bruce Martin » Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:19 am

You wonder about the failure of that missile launch , I don't because the majority of our after market parts for the auto industry are made over there , and the parts are junk to use or to try and install them, so Iam not surprised at all
Bruce Martin
SubCommittee Member

Postby redboat219 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:21 am

Bruce Martin wrote: majority of our after market parts for the auto industry are made over there , and the parts are junk

I think you're mistaken.
South Korea, China, Taiwan, Vietnam, Thailand, Malaysia, yes but not NoKor.
redboat219

Return to General