Banner Ad 1

1/96 Borei-Project Nemisis

This is the place to post your submarine build- ups.

1/96 Borei-Project Nemisis

Postby Wayne Frey » Sat Apr 07, 2012 3:43 pm

It was a brisk walk to the large buildings close to mother ocean. Past the one that so long has held the advanced special project attack boat. His time is returning. As is mine. A change in politics in the navy's favor, we have a new premier. Or is it considered the return of one? Does not matter now.
Now I was getting in the shadow of the huge building. Even as spring comes so slowly this far north, it is still chilling in the shadow of anything! Past the guard at the check in booth, I stepped into the building that streached a considerable distance. The smell of ozone, metal, and paint always lingered in the damp enclosure.
There, in the middle, was the sword of the motherland. Ressurected from a partially completed 971 class, the yard workers had somtime back sectioned the dull colored hull, and moved back the for and aft sections allowing the yard in St Petersburg ship in the new center section.
Taking from the special project next door, the engineers were already bringing in the large rounded white tarp covering what all knew would be a future in Siberia to talk about.
Walking along the side of the huge, arching hull ove me, I thought of the reports just handed me.
Captain Porteous is reported to have been promoted to command a Seaview class research missile boat. Research! With missles on board? Then it is a missle boat. The Americans were clearly skirting the treaty. No,.. there would have to be balance at Herman Park waters.
And then those Ohios! Pete's shipyard has released several of those missle boats. There had to be balance. They could not have the luxury of being comfortable.
There had to be a Nemisis...
I reached up and touch the cold, sweaty steel. Then turned sharply on my heels,walking to midships office. I had to go over these plans under my arm. There is much to do.
Last edited by Wayne Frey on Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
SCM #653
SubCommittee Vice President 2006-2008
Author-Russian Submarines, Guardians of the Motherland
Member-Saint Petersburg Russia Submarine Club
Wayne Frey
SubCommittee Member

Re: 1/96 Borei-Project Nemisis

Postby Wayne Frey » Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:44 pm

The Borei was constructed from an incomplete Akula. The russians sectioned the unbuilt boat, streached it for the missile section, and did what I expected, put on a pump jet. Here is some visual evidence of what I speak:
So, I follow their lead.

First: plans made to scale:

Then, I had posted for several Akula kits wanted. I had calculated it would take 3 hulls spliced together to get to the 70.4 inches length.
However, I got lucky. On a web search I tripped across a model rockety store, that,as luck would have it, has a 5.5 diameter (same as the akula kit) 48 inch long G12 fiberglass tube. So, after a 10 day wait, it arrived. Quality is high too. Smooth and very uniform. Note, they also had 5.5 diameter discs and G10 boards, so I ordered those for later too.
I then used my laser level to mark both sides with a straight line to section into upper and lower halves :
Mark and cut with the dremel between the blue tape:

Now, before I go getting all "long" on this hull, I think I will go ahead and do whatever I need to to the hull itself in the way of grinding, torquing, or what ever else I may do,short of making the missle deck.
So, I liked the result from the x tail akula so well on opening the torpedo doors, I thought I would do the same here. So, I cast a brace for the tubes:
Since I cast that brace, I went ahead and poured a second one today. I have learned, yea never know when it can come in handy!!
So, I am waiting on a second Akula kit to arrive. The hull halves in the pictures will not be the bow and stern for this model. However, this hull kit will serve a purpose later,and we will come back to them.
Also, when I was working on the x tail Akula, I made a second pump jet russianized, and saved it all this time, for this project. I also saved some castings that will come in handy soon.
So, now we wait for Mr Destructo shipping to throw my hull kit out as he speeds by my house, without slowing down. Then, I will go forward and we shall see if this is a crazy idea to hack up a few beautiful hull kits, or something cool. I will be back later with updates.
And, yes, I expect this to be a slow build.
Last edited by Wayne Frey on Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:56 pm, edited 3 times in total.
SCM #653
Wayne Frey
SubCommittee Member

Postby Thor » Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:54 pm

Alright, Wayne! If you go to all of the effort to build this beast and then sell it before you put it in the water, I am going to do an Ivan Drago on your butt! "I must break you!"

Matt
Thor
SubCommittee Member

Postby Wayne Frey » Sat Apr 07, 2012 7:00 pm

Really?
So you will know, after some begging, Jim has graciously agreed to sell me back the x tail akula.
Last edited by Wayne Frey on Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SCM #653
Wayne Frey
SubCommittee Member

Postby Boss subfixer » Sat Apr 07, 2012 7:44 pm

Wayne you would make one hell of a fiction writer. I read your intro and had no problem at all visualizing what you were describing. I will be watching this as well.
Don Evans
SCM# 2733

Put your heart into it, well done is better than well said... Ben Franklin
Boss subfixer

Postby Wayne Frey » Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:33 pm

While we are waiting, Lets see what kind of goodies I have laying around for this..
First, I will need a correct size, Russian pump jet:
Check.(Thanks Pete)
Left overs and future stock for the returning X tail Akula and the Borei. I had just cast the torpedo tube brace and spare the other day.
In addition, I had cast,(2 years ago!) a bunch of inner hull braces and wtc saddles for a 3 inch tube to fit in the Vladimer Akula.Those will have to be modified later for a larger diameter WTC for the Engels. Also a handfull of aft bulkheads, and a handfull of hull locator tabs (I believe thanks to Kevin for that). The black sheet in the background is a sheet of G10 fibeerglass I ordered with the tube.In the bottom right of the picture are 2 5.5 inch G10 fiberglass discs that ought to be good for something, so I went ahead and got em.A 12 volt low speed, low amp 500 motor, Kevin's wicked light module , and specktra transmitter module discussed in another link on this site under surface transmitters.
Ballast tank for the X tail. Brand new 500 ml. Borie will be getting 2 750's or larger.
Two different style screws that fit the pump jet. I used the one without the ring on the x tail, and will probably do the same on the Borei.
And my choice of belt or planetary gear drive.
Now we wait for bigger parts.
SCM #653
Wayne Frey
SubCommittee Member

Postby Sub culture » Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:31 am

That thing is going to need a big puddle to turn.
'Why are you staring at an empty pond?'

Want to dive your boat in crystal clear water? Then you had better Dive-in- http://www.diveintomodelsubmarines.co.uk
Sub culture
SubCommittee Member

Postby Wayne Frey » Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:06 pm

Perhaps. Or maybe not. I may try a bow thruster. Probably ought to. But not decided on that yet. However, that second brace for the torpedo tubes, I thought about mounting in upside down on the lower half, to mount said bow thruster. Actually, that is why I cast two of them.
But, we shall see.
One things for darn sure. I have enough room!!
SCM #653
Wayne Frey
SubCommittee Member

Postby KevinMc » Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:26 pm

Wayne Frey wrote: One things for darn sure. I have enough room!!

Yeah, sure. I said the same thing about my OSCAR. It's so jam-packed now I've barely got room for my floatational foam! :wink:
Kevin McLeod - Oscar II driver
KMc Designs
SC #2870
SubComOn
KevinMc
SubCommittee Member

Postby Bigdave » Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:43 pm

Not even any room for Buttertarts Kevin??? :roll:
How rude!! :mrgreen: BD.

Looken good Wayne!! 8)
David Welch
Commodore SR-8

"Eat your pudding Mr Land". "I ain't sure it's puddin" James Mason-Kirk
Douglas, 20K
Bigdave
SubCommittee Member

Postby KevinMc » Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:41 am

Bigdave wrote:Not even any room for Buttertarts Kevin??? :roll:
How rude!! :mrgreen: BD.

Now that's one thing I can't confirm on account of a total lack of testing/evidence. As soon as they're removed from the baking rack the buttertarts always seem to disappear. <mumble, mumble, mouth full, mumble> It's the strangest thing... 8)

We now return you to your regularly scheduled build thread.
Kevin McLeod - Oscar II driver
KMc Designs
SC #2870
SubComOn
KevinMc
SubCommittee Member

Postby Wayne Frey » Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:26 pm

The second hull, that will be the bow and stern, is in transit. It looks like monday arrival, so I pulled out some things last night to show similarites and differences.
Look close.
Close, huh?
Rudder and stern planes are farther forward on the hull
Rudder and stern plane are significantly larger and shape too. Dashing my hopes of modifying the Akula appendages,
thus getting away like a bandit. Instead, I will have to fabricate.
Note: buttertart fork :shock:
I angled back the hull side of the pumpjet slightly last weekend, as all plans suggest. That was done with the dremel,
a drill, file, and some needle files. I had to be very careful doing that. I blew one up on a lathe with the Xtail. Scattered parts
all over the garage!
At any rate, it takes the Seawolf pumpjet a little farther from it's origins, and collectively close to accurate with the other mods
as I can get.
Amazingly, the size is perfect.
So, we will soon see if this is a tremendous waste of money, and hacking up two of the best examples of an Akula kit avalible (and you guys know, I have the details to prove it!), or will this frankenstine monster go together into a Nemisis.
We all wait for the evil shipper, and destroyer of hulls, to deliver the rest of the hull.

Meantime, enjoy your coffee...
Last edited by Wayne Frey on Sat Apr 21, 2012 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SCM #653
Wayne Frey
SubCommittee Member

Postby Wayne Frey » Sat Apr 21, 2012 5:23 pm

The new hull came in :D
I unpacked it, and promtly cut it up 10 minutes later (Psycho music playing)
But before I show you that, look at this hull. I have owned a few, but never saw one that came with a natural white glass interior. Although I do seem to remember Vlad did offer some hulls thicker than others. But it is much the same. Sorry there is no redo on the fuzzy photo.
Like I said, 10 minutes after I unpacked it, I went to cutting.

Here are the parts, still over lenght in the center, but not by much:
Now, it is a little more interesting. What I suspected, and saw in my head, was close enough to correct this JUST MIGHT work!!
Check out how close a fit the bow and stern parts are to the tube. Lucky son of a gun for finding that, huh? But there is more.
That tube is G12 fiberglass. It is not all flexy. It is also over lenght for the Borie by a few inches. Anticipating this, I cut the tube to the correct lenght,and then made some front and rear index lips for the bow and stern sections to fiberglass on later.
G12 plates 8) , how cool is that?
I cannot believe how this is fitting together!!
Ok, we crossed the mark. It looks doable, so this project will go forward.
Before I add the long section to the upper bow, I thought I would rough out cutting the torpedo doors, as it is a lot easier to flip around being only a few inches long right now, and then......
:shock: :shock:
That looks like something Big Dave would come up with!!
Crazy part is I have enough spare hulls and part laying around, it could be done...
So, grab another cup of coffee, and debate this one!!
Next, I may try glassing the parts together partially.
SCM #653
Wayne Frey
SubCommittee Member

Postby Pirate » Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:02 am

Wayne, it's going to be very interesting to see how that monster will turn. Since my Seawolf turned like a pig I thought my Ohio would be unusable in most bodies of water, but to my surprise it turns incredibly sharp; much sharper than the 44-inch Seawolf even. Ohio has a large prop, so I thought the difference in turning was the pumpjet having a small cone of intake and not pulling enough water over the rudders, but my 45-inch Virginia turns Very sharp with a pumpjet, though it has taller rudders than the Seawolf. So what yours will do is a real crap shoot. Very interesting to see what happens.

One other difference is tha the Ohio rudders are very thick foils, at least 1/4 inch at the widest point. That could account for greater effect from larger low pressure zones they create. Are the Borei rudders very thick?
HOLD FAST
Pirate
SubCommittee Member

Postby Sub culture » Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:20 am

This boat must be costing you a small fortune! With the pipe section you got from the rocket suppliers, I'd have thought you only needed to section one hull and insert the tubing in the middle to create the extra length, presumably apeing what they've done on the fullsize. What am i missing here?

The Sushi-style Akula look interesting. Cut the sail area in half, contra-rotating props, and an x-tail and you'll have a lively ride.
'Why are you staring at an empty pond?'

Want to dive your boat in crystal clear water? Then you had better Dive-in- http://www.diveintomodelsubmarines.co.uk
Sub culture
SubCommittee Member

Next

Return to Builder Threads