Banner Ad 1

The Leviathan Begins

This is the place to post your submarine build- ups.

The Leviathan Begins

Postby usdiver63 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:32 pm

Greetings all! This will be covering my slow but steady work on my Russian Typhoon 1/72 scale. She will be affectionately named Leviathan through her build process and i may keep the name upon her christening. Having been an rc dabbler in many fields, from trucks, cars, and some planes. I have now set my sights on the submarine world. I have always had a passion for submarines and rc is an excellent way to follow that endeavor.

I began my journey by looking into the subs and deciding upon which model and type i would choose from. I have always been in favor of German U-boats but i also have a craving for the Russian. The deciding factor was the sheer size and power that the Russians produced with the Typhoon. No submarine in history can match her size. Minus the Kursk who sank due to torpedo failure while still in the boat.

Now then I also selected the static diving system being that i wanted to be as close to the function of the real sub as possible. After looking abroad at kits on the internet i stumbled upon http://www.rvjunkie.com/sub/. John was one of the best resources i have yet to find in his detailed construction and insight. I will be following in his footsteps.

My Typhoon will be just under 8' Long. I started gathering the plans online and ran across several schematics of typhoons that were either incorrect or very accurate. After combing through and selecting the best ones I decided to have them blow up to scale or as close as possible. Why do you ask? well now having to scale plans cuts 1/2 of the work in figuring the size and placement of various cutting and marking spots. Instead of measure and hope, convert, measure, place and double check. I am now able to simply measure and place with no conversions other than marking the positions.

I altered the images from .gif format to .eps format using Inkscape which is a Vector file. For those who do not know a Vector file is the type of file that is used in plotting and cutting machines. Such as those used to cut diagrams for decals, signs and what have you. Think of it as a 2D CNC machine. I have a friend who dose this for his business and was more than happy to help with this. As you will see the detail is quite amazing and will set the stage for this beauty through out her construction.

If anyone is interested in having a set of plans made feel free to pm me. These plans cost me $70.00 usd to have done.

I will begin the hull the next weekend.
Until next time
Dive well.

The Original Plans from the internet.

The End Result
usdiver63

Re: The Leviathan Begins

Postby SOLO » Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:23 am

Hi Usdivers63

Great project !
If you want a details or précisions for your Typhon, contact "Gabriel", it's french typhon expert :mrgreen:

http://www.scalesub.com/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=37
Regards
Laurent

click on the banner :)
SOLO

Postby JWLaRue » Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:58 am

USD,

Your conversion from bitmap to vector looks very well done.

Are you going to add the 'tunnel drive' to it? :)

-Jeff
Rohr 1.....Los!
JWLaRue
SubCommittee Member

Postby usdiver63 » Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:17 pm

Thank you Laurent, and you as well Jeff.
Laurent that was an excellent find for another builder. Gabriel is by far one of the most detailed ones i have seen and his conversion is absolutely amazing. The post took some time to go through due to it being in French, (Thank God for Google Translate! :mrgreen: )

Jeff thanks for the complement on the image conversion. I did the maximum number of scans possible on the trace bitmap, 256 if my memory serves correctly.
As for the 'tunnel drive' I am undecided at the moment but i am leaning towards adding it in an effort for realism. I do not plan on as much detail as Gabriel, however i will have a good degree of it due to the sheer size of the boat and the ease of which can be accomplished.

The only real difficulty I foresee will be etching all of the welded plates of the hull.
What methods are there and which ones would be the best?

Dive well.
Sincerely, Jesse
usdiver63

Postby Scott T » Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:10 pm

Will you be making a mold off the hull you build?
How about using your vector files to create stickers you place
on the hull for the tile pattern. Then when you make a mold off
the hull the lines between the stickers will form your pattern.

Scott T
Scott T
SubCommittee Member

Postby usdiver63 » Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:58 am

Scott T wrote:Will you be making a mold off the hull you build?
How about using your vector files to create stickers you place
on the hull for the tile pattern. Then when you make a mold off
the hull the lines between the stickers will form your pattern.

Scott T

Hmm you bring up some interesting insight Scott.
Due to the size and the amount of material i will be using i was just going to do a plug and fiberglass around the hull, without making a mold.
However if i did indeed do as you suggest then i will be making the plug, glassing over that plug as originally intended, then sanding and shaping until perfect, lay the stickers and then glass over that. thus creating an outer mold and having a plug. Then glass that mold, creating the hull with the pattern

Could be done that way but it is a bit more work, however creating a better base for the model but then there still will be imperfections that will have to be dealt with and could damage the pattern.

I might be able to achieve this with other materials......
Ah! i just remembered that a gel coat would be wonderful in this aspect.
Although the conning tower would have to be made separate.
I must do more planning and give this quite a bit of consideration.

Thanks Scott!
The wheels are turning!
Jesse
usdiver63

Postby SOLO » Sat Mar 31, 2012 3:35 am

Hi Jess :P

Gabriel is built a beautiful submarine, but it has a very large amount of photos and information on the Typhoon. he also plans to re-place the details of the hull :wink:
If you ask him he will give you information for your building :D
Regards
Laurent

click on the banner :)
SOLO

Postby Gabriel l » Tue May 01, 2012 2:11 pm

Do me a favor, reconsider to use this false plan, all shapes are inaccurate !

Typhoon has no keel for exemple !
Gabriel l

Postby salmon » Tue May 01, 2012 6:46 pm

Gabriel, could you post some good plans or point me in the right direction?
Merci!
Tom
If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.
salmon
SubCommittee Member

Postby Gabriel l » Wed May 02, 2012 2:36 am

Send me an MP with your e-mail, I will see what I can do for you.

1/72 is an US scale not really appropriate for Russian submarine. Typhoon was create with metric system and a lot of parts are easy to place with that in mind, most difficult with imperial system due aproximation of conversion.

Of course I understand the reason of this scale but it's more complicated.

Unlike US submarine, Soviet/russian submarine are unique on same class. Some details are place differently between TK-208 or TK-20 for exemple.

Another things to get in mind is the date of reproduction. Soviet submarine was severly modify on each refit then TK-208 in 1980 can not be compare with TK-208 in 2001. She lost Communication Bouys for exemple, deck was slightly modify due to new bulava's system. Screw had 5 blades in 1980 on earlier sea trial whan they change to seven when she put to see at the end of test, etc...

Choose models that you want to reproduce between TK-208, TK-202, TK-12, TK-13, TK-17, TK-208 :)

You 're lucky there is only 6 on this class :D
Gabriel l

Postby Gabriel l » Wed May 02, 2012 2:50 am

You can read this monography I wrote (in french sorry I will try to translate): http://www.scalesub.com/viewtopic.php?f=104&t=125
Some of chapter need to be wrote when I will have time to proceed :)

But i'm sure it will give you an idea of withc model did you want to create :)
Gabriel l

Return to Builder Threads