Banner Ad 1

Help With 8-Foot "Seaview"

Nautilus, Seaview, and more

Help With 8-Foot "Seaview"

Postby MEM54 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:31 pm

I live in Roanoke, VA, and am a former member of The SubCommittee. I'm working on an 8-foot model of the "Seaview" and would like to ask if anyone who is a SubCommittee member and lives in the Roanoke area would be interested in helping me build it. What I'm looking for is someone to guide through the building and show me what to do while I build it myself. I can't pay anyone for their help. This would have to be a voluntary effort on that individual's part. If interested, leave a post here with contact information. Thank you.
MEM54

Re: Help With 8-Foot "Seaview"

Postby Scott T » Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:15 pm

Folks must be working hard or off on spring break.
There have been some good articles in the SubCommittee Report on a Seaview model recently. (Try a free issue http://s181686668.onlinehome.us/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=10782)
Pretty sweet magazine for $15.00 subscription. Come on skip a few meals and spend the lunch money on the Subcommittee report.

So far I am a Mental Builder(crazy? no maybe I mean I have been building in my mind). The real model builders will show
up soon I hope. Good luck on your build and keep asking questions.

Scott T
Scott T
SubCommittee Member

Postby Kerry Addington » Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:46 pm

As far as a building guide, what better than a build from the kit creator himself?
Here is Dennis "airwalk" DeBoer at R/C Universe:
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10731250/tm.htm

-Kerry
Kerry Addington

Postby MEM54 » Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:53 pm

Thanks for the replies so. What I'm looking for is someone in the Roanoke, VA area who could provide in-person hands-on gudiance for me. Is there anyone there who fits that description?
MEM54

Postby Sub culture » Sun Mar 25, 2012 4:47 pm

It would be helpful if you could give some details about what part of the build you are having difficulties with, and also give some indication of what tools equipment and past building experience you have.

A project like this is going to take long time to complete, so I would say that although many folk will be happy to give you some advice, and maybe even a little one on one mentoring/tuition, finding someone to hold your hand through a complete build is going to be a challenge.

An eight foot Seaview is a challenging build even for a seasoned model submariner. If you're new to the game I would seriously suggest starting off with something a little smaller and simpler in concept. Something like a Trumpeter Kilo or Seawolf can be inexpensive to convert to R/C operation, and these have been well documented here and on other model submarine forums.
'Why are you staring at an empty pond?'

Want to dive your boat in crystal clear water? Then you had better Dive-in- http://www.diveintomodelsubmarines.co.uk
Sub culture
SubCommittee Member

Postby Bob the Builder » Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:07 pm

Sort of a tall order! Someone with the experience needed to pull off a big Seaview AND who lives in your area? Best of luck (and that's not sarcasm.. I really hope someone chimes in from down the road from you!)
Bob Martin,
RCSub homepage: http://www.rc-sub.com
Bob the Builder
SubCommittee Member

Postby JWLaRue » Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:29 pm

Okay...so let's not completely scare anyone away. There are folks who have never built an r/c sub but have the necessary skills and patience to build something as potentially complex as the large Seaview models. Heck, that's where I started from (but I built a Type VII).

So Mem54, let's start with an understanding of what your modeling and r/c skills are. That's useful information to know whether or not there is someone in the Roanoke area that might be able to help you.

If you are willing to do a bit of traveling, there are folks in the Washington, D.C. area and at least one in Richmond that most likley would be willing to spend a day with you to help move your project forward.

-Jeff
Rohr 1.....Los!
JWLaRue
SubCommittee Member

Postby MEM54 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:40 pm

Dear JW and SubCulture:

I can't travel to Washington and Richmond at the present time. THe model is an 8.5-foot "Seaview" I purchased in 2000 and started working on in 2009. Some members of the Roanoke chapter of the IPMS were helping me but can't at present and I'm been unable to find anyone else. I want someone who can help me hands-on but guide me through construction while I actually do the building myself. The hull sections, the aft turbines and fins have been assembled. The conning tower remains to be attached. I attached the diving planes to it but they didn't fit evenly with the tower and need to be removed and reattached so they will. I want to scratch-build a control room for the interior of the model and light it up. I purchased rhinestones to simulate the aft fins and conning tower lights. What I'm looking for is someone who can come over and help guide me through to completion of the model. I've been working on it on and off since 2009.
MEM54

Postby JWLaRue » Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:21 pm

Are you looking to build it as a static model or an r/c model?

What kind of model building experience do you have?

If you post photos of the things that you'd like assistance with, we can offer advice. This may be your best alternative to having someone near you.

-Jeff
Rohr 1.....Los!
JWLaRue
SubCommittee Member

Postby MEM54 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:53 pm

It is a static model. My father helped me build a Deboer Hulls Seaview in 1993. He's dead now. I took some pictures of it during the early stages of construction but never developed them. Other than that I don't have any photographs.
MEM54

Postby Bob the Builder » Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:14 pm

I think you're missing Jeff's question..

How experienced are you with fabrication, fiberglassing, electronics, scratchbuilding, etc? If you're a bona fide "newbie" (rookie) to anything resembling building things, then you've got a long and difficult (but not impossible to traverse) road ahead of you. If you have basic construction skills, a grasp of electronics, a penchant for physics and a boat load of patience, you'll be in much better shape.

So... ?
Bob Martin,
RCSub homepage: http://www.rc-sub.com
Bob the Builder
SubCommittee Member

Postby GreyAkula52 » Thu May 17, 2012 3:13 pm

Ahoy MEM54???
Please Post A Few Photos Of What, Where And Description Of YOur Problems....
Okay?
Then Folks Would Have A Better Handle As To What You May Be Doing Wrong.
Subs Like anything Else Can Be Built Two Ways.......
The Right Way ( Everything Looks "Right ) and The Wrong Way..... IT Looks Okay
But Doesn't Work. You Make The Choice. You've Started Down The Right Path.... Now "Follow Through"
And Post A Picture.... Or Two Or Three!
Cool? :wink:
Andre S. Burgess, P.E.
GreyAkula52
SubCommittee Member

Return to Television and Movie Submarines