Banner Ad 1

Newbie Here

Place for general submarine conversation

Newbie Here

Postby DaveJr » Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:34 pm

Hello All,

I would like to introduce myself....

My names Dave and I am an upcoming r/c submariner. I just wanted to introduce myself as I am currently in the process of gathering all the bits and pieces to assemble my newly purchased scaleships akula II. I have been modeling in all sorts of media from basic plastic models to r/c planes, cars and boats to scale wooden ship models since I was around 10 years of age (I am now 32). I was first intrigued in r/c subs back in the early 80's when my father would take me along with him to the model ship pond in Mission Bay San Diego and I would stand at the waters edge and be fascinated by Mike Dory operating his boats.

Greetings to all and I look forward to utilizing this site and its many members whos vast knowledge will hopefully get me through assembly and operation of my first true static diving sub project.

Thanks for reading and all the help
-Dave
DaveJr
SubCommittee Member

Re: Newbie Here

Postby JWLaRue » Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:37 pm

Hi Dave,

Welcome....to both the world of r/c subs and the SubCommittee forum. There are a lot of good folks here who will be glad to answer any questions that you may have. If you modify your profile to let us know where you are located, I wouldn't be surprised if there were some like-minded sub-types located near you. We have a number of Local Chapters where folks get together to float their boats, help each other and swap lies.....err, stories!

-Jeff
Rohr 1.....Los!
JWLaRue
SubCommittee Member

Postby DaveJr » Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:06 am

Roger wilco Jeff

Thanks for the welcome!

-Dave
DaveJr
SubCommittee Member

Postby salmon » Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:46 am

Dave,
Welcome! Look forward to seeing your build. If Mike Dory inspired you, you were inspired by one of the best! I have met him and will say he is the salt of the earth.
There are a lot of great guys here that are freely willing to share and help.
Again welcome!
Peace,
Tom
If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.
salmon
SubCommittee Member

Postby PaulC » Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:25 pm

Welcome aboard, Dave! Please post pics of your build as you go so we can follow along. That kit makes a very handsome boat.
Warm regards,

Paul Crozier
<><
PaulC
SubCommittee Member

Postby Sub culture » Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:58 am

A member here in the UK built one of those with a scratchbuilt WTC using an Engel piston tank.

Performed well, but I noticed he didn't use it as much as some of his other models, and wondered why. Turned out he found some of the finer details of this model were easily damaged or lost when the boat was operated. Therefore you may want to consider making some of these smaller parts detachable (perhaps held on with rare earth magnets), and remove them before use, saving them for static display only.
Last edited by Sub culture on Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'Why are you staring at an empty pond?'

Want to dive your boat in crystal clear water? Then you had better Dive-in- http://www.diveintomodelsubmarines.co.uk
Sub culture
SubCommittee Member

Postby DaveJr » Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:32 am

Good advice.....this kit sure does have a lot of detail.
DaveJr
SubCommittee Member

Postby Wayne Frey » Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:45 am

You have the best Akula kit out there. See my build thread on the X-tail Akula about 2 pages back in the build thread. It is nothing but fun to build. I would be happy to help with advise if you need it.
In fact, I just got one akula kit, and looking for two more for my next project. Posting a thread is a lot of fun also. There are a lot of great guys here that will be glad to help you.
SCM #653
SubCommittee Vice President 2006-2008
Author-Russian Submarines, Guardians of the Motherland
Member-Saint Petersburg Russia Submarine Club
Wayne Frey
SubCommittee Member

Postby Sub culture » Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:47 am

Did the X-tail Akula ever make it into the water, or is it still a work in progress?

Would be interesting to see how it performed. I would expect quite similar to a Dragonshark, as that's the only other working model I've seen with a pumpjet and x-tail.

Want to dive your boat in crystal clear water? Then you had better Dive-in- http://www.diveintomodelsubmarines.co.uk
Sub culture
SubCommittee Member

Postby Bigdave » Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:23 am

Then I guess you never saw the new version of my Sushi sub before it did a kamikaze run on the pool. :roll: :lol: BD.
David Welch
Commodore SR-8

"Eat your pudding Mr Land". "I ain't sure it's puddin" James Mason-Kirk
Douglas, 20K
Bigdave
SubCommittee Member

Postby Sub culture » Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:42 am

But I haven't seen that working. Seen pictures of it smacked up! :P

Sub culture
SubCommittee Member

Postby Wayne Frey » Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:29 am

I sold the X tail some years back. As I understand it, it is still incomplete.
SCM #653
SubCommittee Vice President 2006-2008
Author-Russian Submarines, Guardians of the Motherland
Member-Saint Petersburg Russia Submarine Club
Wayne Frey
SubCommittee Member

Postby DaveJr » Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:06 am

Thanks all for the welcome :D

Soon the cutting of the vents and floods will commence and I will post some pics (and seek some advice I'm sure) when the real fun begins on the akula II.

May your day be filled with fun and a target rich environment

P.S I am still looking for a wtc for the project if anyone has anything to offer

-Dave
DaveJr
SubCommittee Member

Postby Sub culture » Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:49 am

Most R/C versions I've seen of this boat, the owners have built their own WTC, usually using an engel piston tank for ballast.

Sub culture
SubCommittee Member

Postby Bigdave » Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:05 am

Sub culture wrote:But I haven't seen that working. Seen pictures of it smacked up! :P

O! It was working.
It ran great for about 20 seconds till some bonehead :oops: :oops: decided he could not keep his throttle finger held back any more. :cry:
A short burst of power (Flash) she was striking the bottom 8 feet down. :roll:
She seemed to be stuck there (obvesly the thrust was holding her in place).
Then the bubbles started from the motor firewall being dislodged in the collision.
Filling with water now and me having no more control she broke free of her grip on the bottom and started on the high speed trek around the pool. :roll:
Bouncing off walls and changing direction for about one minute before being lodged in the shallow end steps.
If I wasn't watching about $1200 of boat do this it would have been really cool to watch. :mrgreen: BD.
David Welch
Commodore SR-8

"Eat your pudding Mr Land". "I ain't sure it's puddin" James Mason-Kirk
Douglas, 20K
Bigdave
SubCommittee Member

Next

Return to General