Banner Ad 1

1/72nd scale alfa class ssn

This is the place to post your submarine build- ups.

Re: 1/72nd scale alfa class ssn

Postby Thor » Sat Jun 04, 2011 12:57 pm

Extremely well done, Jon! This is one of the best first efforts I have ever seen in this hobby. I look forward to many more projects from you in the future!

Matt
Thor
SubCommittee Member

Postby the dark knight » Sun Jun 05, 2011 12:46 am

thanks guys! chuck, i have been using rustoleum automotive black primer. i think i will continue to use that on the upper hull for the final color. Matt, that means so much coming from you! i am still learning everyday with the curve balls this thing keeps throwing at me. i just hope my next boat can surpass this alfa when its all said and done.
Life is a matter of luck, and the odds in favor of success are no way enhanced by extreme caution. - Erich Topp

Jon Jones
the dark knight
SubCommittee Member

Postby redboat219 » Sun Jun 05, 2011 2:03 am

See that you're using round rods for the stern plane pivot shafts. How will you be securing the control surface to the shafts?
"Make it simple, make it strong-and make it work!" - Mikhail Mil
redboat219

Postby the dark knight » Sun Jun 05, 2011 1:52 pm

ive been looking at a few different methods, one being a collet, other being simply soldering or jb welding them in. not too sure yet. as for the plans, my source wants me to keep them to myself, and i will respect his wishes.
Life is a matter of luck, and the odds in favor of success are no way enhanced by extreme caution. - Erich Topp

Jon Jones
the dark knight
SubCommittee Member

Postby the dark knight » Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:29 pm

well, i managed to finish up the masts. now i will think of a way to attach them to the submarine. i will work on the stern some more today.

Jon Jones
the dark knight
SubCommittee Member

Postby the dark knight » Thu Jun 09, 2011 3:50 pm

i tried mounting the tubes to hold the masts in place today. here are some shots i took while the glue cures. ill post some more detailed pics once they are cured.

Jon Jones
the dark knight
SubCommittee Member

Postby oztruck » Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:20 am

Looking good. Gets better each time you post a photo. keep up the good work.
oztruck

Postby the dark knight » Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:35 pm

thank you sir!

i have settled on a specific boat i think. K-123. turns out there is little to no info out there on the alfa class as far as markings go. did she have any? or was she plain to keep the CIA guessing?

i have been sanding on the tail section today, and hope to get more photos up soon.

Jon Jones
the dark knight
SubCommittee Member

Postby the dark knight » Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:44 pm

so today, the glue was finally dry. i did make the masts removable, using tubes some suggested, also gave them a little tweek so they are tight, but can be removed. i also mounted the safety railing. at first i was going to make it from brass rod, but after checking all the photos i have dug up of alfa it looks to me like they are shaped more like railroad tracks. i could be wrong, but i figured id go with what i see. maybe wayne would know for sure.

here is the photo i based my decision from. like i said, i could be wrong, and if someone knows, please let me know.

Jon Jones
the dark knight
SubCommittee Member

Postby greenman407 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:20 pm

Dark Night,
What did you use for the floor in the sail? You know, Where the bridge watch stands. Looks like some sort of pierced metal screen.
There are OLD pilots and there are BOLD pilots but there are very few OLD BOLD pilots. MAG
greenman407

Postby salmon » Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:52 pm

Dark Night,
Truly this inspires me! I almost feel like I could do it....almost.
Keep up the great work and look forward to your updates.
Peace,
Tom
If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.
salmon
SubCommittee Member

Postby the dark knight » Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:53 pm

sorry for my late reply guys. my laptop crashed shortly before I took a new job and moved to Jefferson City, Mo. i managed to bring it back from the dead, and am starting to get back on top of things forum wise. To answer your question Greenman, the floor in the conning tower (crows nest?) is metal screen out of an OOOOld printer I had laying around. its an early 90s model that no longer works.

Thanks Tom. I will be posting pics again as soon as there is progress made on the Alfa. she is in the same state she was in in the last pics. nothing new yet, but there will be soon!

Jon Jones
the dark knight
SubCommittee Member

Postby salmon » Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:11 pm

Welcome back!
If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.
salmon
SubCommittee Member

Postby the dark knight » Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:22 pm

Thanks Tom! my next purchase will be a prop and a prop shaft for this sub. after that, its some final tweeking, sanding, painting and getting a radio and going swiming! but since i live in the midwest, sea trials wont be until the spring time.

Jon Jones
the dark knight
SubCommittee Member

Postby redboat219 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:26 am

Any updates on this build?
"Make it simple, make it strong-and make it work!" - Mikhail Mil
redboat219

PreviousNext

Return to Builder Threads