Banner Ad 1

Engle MK VII Problem

This is the place to post your submarine build- ups.

Engle MK VII Problem

Postby brutis11 » Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:17 pm

Hi
any one that has built this kit I have run into a problem With the WTC bow end cap. It doesnt want to go over the front area of parts L and O where the circut boards are. I might be able to cut a 1/16 off of the parts befor hitting the curcuit boards. Is this my only option, the end cap has a taper to it and I really dont want to go into it with a boreing bar. Thanks in advance for the advice.
Jim
brutis11

Re: Engle MK VII Problem

Postby Horseman » Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:15 am

Hi Jim,

I have increased some room inside the Bow end cab I did that with a Dremel moto tool and the sides are big enough so don't worry about that.

It solves the problem for me with this.

I assume it fits ok with out the end cap?

Kind regards,

Jan,
Most people are more comfortable with old problems than with new solutions.
:Harbor :SSBN-Ulysses S. Grant, Flying Fish USS 229 :Shipyard: VIIC. :Hangar :FW190A, ME262, T-Rex500 inside MD500 TOW Defender ,T-Rex600 ESP inside Apache 64 A.
Horseman

Postby brutis11 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:12 pm

Thanks for the pictures, I decided to take a 1/16 off of the parts and it fit, but what concerns me is I sent an email to Engal and didnt get a reply. Mabe he's on vacation.. are the pictures you sent old or are you building the sub right now. I have started to wire the boat up, I had to order a new radio to get the slider switches. I bought the magnetic swithc and I haveing a problem finding a spot to install it.
Jim
brutis11

Postby Horseman » Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:20 pm

Hi Jim,

I'm building the Sub right now so the photo's are not old. :D

Some teasers for you,

Regards,

Jan,
:Harbor :SSBN-Ulysses S. Grant, Flying Fish USS 229 :Shipyard: VIIC. :Hangar :FW190A, ME262, T-Rex500 inside MD500 TOW Defender ,T-Rex600 ESP inside Apache 64 A.
Horseman

Postby brutis11 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:20 pm

Great Job, I have a bad back so I only get 2 hours of work then I have to stop. I want to get the WTC done then start the hull I am getting close. Tomorrow my new radio comes in so I can start testing the componets. So far I have the magnetic switch, 2 Graupner
Speed Profi 40R, LTR 5.3, Tmax and running lights. I want to see the ballest tanks work and the pressure switch. Thanks for the pictures, what did you use to cut the slots out? I have a denist drill set up so I have water to keep the dust doun when cutting
Jim
brutis11

Postby brutis11 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:24 pm

Well I put the WTC toghter, I took two of us to take it apart. I gong to have to take a little off each bulkhead so I can get it apart my self. also its about 1/4 inch too long so I will have to modify the Bow section. I think it was in the batteris where I Gained the 1/4 inch. I will post some pictures tomorrow, but I have wires every where. anothe problem I found was the Tmax and the Airtronics connectors sit to high and will hit the tube. So I bought a crimp tool and connectors and will gain some clearance room. or in the wost case I can soder the wires to the board. I think when I get the WTC done It will be enjoyable to finish.
Jim
brutis11

Postby Horseman » Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:50 am

Hi Jim,

Sorry for the late reaction,

I use a Dremel mototool but you have a better tool because the dust can be a pain...
The down site are, you got water everywhere and need to wear a raincoat :lol: :lol:

The WTC are nice but always to small for the components thats the reason and the MONEY I do not use the battery's Engle want you to use, but I go for a Lipo's battery solution.
For that reason I was forced to redesign my battery compartment. I hope that I can create some more space to work with in that area.

This the normal compartment but with two lipos in front and that will not fit at all :(

So I have made a base plate inside it and the middle frames are gone,

I'm now able to fit two 4000mA three sells at the top and one 5000mA at the bottom of this plate, but its a tight fit.

And finely inside the WTC.. :D

But you are further because there is no single wire attached but my hull are further.

The servos can just rotate freely,

The Hull looks great,

But the sub are standing now on his bench waiting at me to start again.

Regards,

Jan,
Horseman

Postby StuartL » Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:16 am

That's a serious amount of battery power there, are you having high-current-drain issues?
StuartL

Postby Sub culture » Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:19 pm

Probably about 4-5 A with both motors running at full speed and both tanks filling. Free running the Engel tanks pull about 5-6 watts running in air, and ramp up towards 20 watts when compressing the air behind them. I think the same motors are used for the drive on this model.
'Why are you staring at an empty pond?'

Want to dive your boat in crystal clear water? Then you had better Dive-in- http://www.diveintomodelsubmarines.co.uk
Sub culture
SubCommittee Member

Postby JWLaRue » Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:17 pm

Interesting and useful information. I run my single piston tank Seehund with a 12-volt 4-Ah battery for 3-4 hours and still have about 40-50% battery left. It's also a single prop boat.

It's true that the Engel piston does draw some amps, but I've found that at least in my case I am not running the piston very often. If I were to estimate, I would say that over a 3 hour run I probably run the piston maybe a dozen times.

Of course it should be noted that: ymmv (or your mileage *will* vary!)

-Jeff
Rohr 1.....Los!
JWLaRue
SubCommittee Member

Postby Horseman » Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:42 pm

Hi Guys,

I do not have high current issues (as far I know off :D ) but Engle recommended to use there special made battery and the specs are 12volts 16Amp with a running time for aprox 2 hours :shock: maybe with chasing ducks...

Now I have total 14Amps 11.1 volts installed and more space and less weight in the WTC so I can put more lead in the bottom of the Hull,
Whats means more stability, and giving me more room to go wild on details on the conning tower and decks :D

I did not take any measurement of currents need from the dive system and/or motors but My Gato uses more than 8 ams when going full throttle but thats a 6 volts system so its using more amps anyhow.
Using Lipos have an other good thing, now using Nc cells they always seems to be depleted when you want to go sailing and charging 7 battery's (Gato) can and will take some hours.

Then using Lipos they are born ready :D I have now for a few years some experience with them (airplanes and helicopters) and when treaded well its good and save to use in a Sub, in Holland there are a few doing this successfully for a few years now.
So I follow only some other sub guys who have good feelings about this source of power.

Time will learn :lol:

Just my two cents,

Jan,
Horseman

Postby JWLaRue » Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:12 pm

Jan,

Good information from someone who is actually using LiPo's in an r/c sub. I'm contemplating making the changeover from NiMH to LiPo's as well, so this is good background.

-tnx,

Jeff
Rohr 1.....Los!
JWLaRue
SubCommittee Member

Return to Builder Threads