Banner Ad 1

Suggestions for Revell Type VII-C

Place for general submarine conversation

Suggestions for Revell Type VII-C

Postby bikerdude666 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:20 pm

Hi, I'm a new member of the forum, and have recently got the above plastic kit for my 1st sub project. I'm looking for ideas of making it into a static diver. On another forum I go on there were 3 suggestions of kits to do this:

1: Caswell plating - too expensive for me

2: Norbert Bruggen's kit - looks good to me but I've heard it needs to sit alot lower than scale to make it work, at the very edge of what I can afford, but you don't need to buy any other things to go with the kit.

3: Big Dave's experimenters kit - definitely the best looking kit, and best on price, but I've tried hard to contact him regarding his kit, but never get any response.

so does anyone know of any other kits out there, or does anyone have plans to make a wtc etc yourself and a list of parts to use. (I have acquired the info off the cd's that come with a dave welch kit, which shows all the bits and how to do it, but I'm a bit reluctant to steal someone elses system)
bikerdude666

Re: Suggestions for Revell Type VII-C

Postby Bigdave » Fri Mar 02, 2012 3:02 pm

Hi,
Sorry if you are one of the guys I have not gotten back to.
I have been resting after a hospital stay and have been shut down for a while.
I hope to be up and running soon. Thanks, BD. :D
David Welch
Commodore SR-8

"Eat your pudding Mr Land". "I ain't sure it's puddin" James Mason-Kirk
Douglas, 20K
Bigdave
SubCommittee Member

Postby bikerdude666 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:59 pm

Bigdave wrote:Hi,
Sorry if you are one of the guys I have not gotten back to.
I have been resting after a hospital stay and have been shut down for a while.
I hope to be up and running soon. Thanks, BD. :D

Ahh ok thanks, if you'll be up and running again sometime, I'll go on and do what I can using the info on the discs I acquired, drilling holes etc (what a PITA that is, took 30 mins to do the upper front vents on 1 side today) and then buy a kit from you when your making them again.

thanks.
bikerdude666

Postby chips » Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:54 am

bikerdude666 - I recommend going with Big Daves WTC. I used his kit for theTrumopeter KILO and have his kit for the Type VII. I've used the Caswell/Merriman unit for the SEAVIEW. IMHO, Big Dave's unit is better. Big Dave provides only one disk, but it has lots of photos, drawings, and video - lots of useful info. Big Dave provides a materials list and recommend supply source, but you can use what's available locally. Caswell/Merriman typically has lots of disks, and it's all a lecture; and you better take notes.

Dave - hope all is well with you, and have a speedy recovery. Hope to see you and the pother 8-Balls at Toledo Weak Signals and SubRegatta.

Bob
Bob Gesking
SC# 1575
KC8WPF
chips
SubCommittee Member

Postby Sub culture » Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:39 pm

AFAIK, Dave Merrimans conversion is the only one that can achieve a full scale waterline.

I dare so you can modify the other two conversions to achieve the same result too. in the case of the Bruggen conversion kit, as standard there is no way this can get a scale waterline, but with a bit of modification, and a different ballast system, i think it could be made to work.
'Why are you staring at an empty pond?'

Want to dive your boat in crystal clear water? Then you had better Dive-in- http://www.diveintomodelsubmarines.co.uk
Sub culture
SubCommittee Member

Postby JWLaRue » Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:11 pm

BD offers two versions of his Gato dive module. I suspect that the one with the larger bladders allows one to achieve a proper waterline.

-Jeff
Rohr 1.....Los!
JWLaRue
SubCommittee Member

Postby Bigdave » Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:15 am

Not that I would ever debate anyone’s observations.
But here is my own VIIc using my system sitting alone and next to Crazy Ivan's Gato conversion.
I would say that is pretty darn close to waterline.
The original bladder set up was not as good.
I have used the side bladder conversion for many years now. BD.

David Welch
Commodore SR-8

Douglas, 20K
Bigdave
SubCommittee Member

Postby Sub culture » Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:34 am

Fairy snuff.

I remember a build thread from some time back, and recalled that the bag did not dsiplace enough to get to the scale freeboard, but it looks like the bigger bag has cracked it.
'Why are you staring at an empty pond?'

Want to dive your boat in crystal clear water? Then you had better Dive-in- http://www.diveintomodelsubmarines.co.uk
Sub culture
SubCommittee Member

Postby bikerdude666 » Sun Mar 04, 2012 2:28 pm

Bigdave wrote:Not that I would ever debate anyone’s observations.
But here is my own VIIc using my system sitting alone and next to Crazy Ivan's Gato conversion.
I would say that is pretty darn close to waterline.
The original bladder set up was not as good.
I have used the side bladder conversion for many years now. BD.

Hi, I heard your system (now) was very close to scale waterline, I have 2 CD's from your kit (don't know if 1 is from your original kit and the other from the latest version) but 1 shows a big flat bag that sits over the top of the WTC and wraps around it a bit. But the other (I assume the later version, update) has a T-piece going to 2 lenghts of pipe, each with a balloon on (think it was suggested you use heavy duty party balloons) and each balloon sits either side of the WTC, in the saddle tanks (or whatever they're called)

BD can I ask what else I would need to purchase to go with your kits? All the different kit manufacturers seem to supply different things, and maybe I could go on and buy the other bits...
bikerdude666

Postby Bigdave » Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:30 am

The twin side bladders is the current ballast configuration but the kit and cylinder has gone through many upgrades in the 8 years I think it is I have made the conversion.
There are probably a lot of old CD's floating around out there. :roll:
The current cylinder requires no assembly just the R/C and ballast control installation. Plus the conversion of the boat itself of course. :wink:
Hopefully I will be making them again soon. :D BD.
David Welch
Commodore SR-8

Douglas, 20K
Bigdave
SubCommittee Member

Postby bikerdude666 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:16 am

Bigdave wrote:The twin side bladders is the current ballast configuration but the kit and cylinder has gone through many upgrades in the 8 years I think it is I have made the conversion.
There are probably a lot of old CD's floating around out there. :roll:
The current cylinder requires no assembly just the R/C and ballast control installation. Plus the conversion of the boat itself of course. :wink:
Hopefully I will be making them again soon. :D BD.

The CD's were lent when I told them I just wanted to get a head start before buying 1 of your kits.... so don't go thinking people are ripping of your designs... I just wanted to see how to do the rudders etc so that when I can hold of the kit I can almost drop it in and go!

So I assume aswell as the kit I'll need 2 micro servos (rudder and rear dive planes?), an ESC (Microviper?), Receiver (already got), batteries (will make up a pack when I see what room I've got left inside), and a pitch controller? Not really got the money for this so got to secretly buy little bits at a time so my better half doesn't notice.....
bikerdude666

Postby Bigdave » Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:42 pm

Just wanted to point out so many changes were made through out the years that there are many versions of the CD out there.
Three servos if you want bow planes. I have them but do not use them. The micro viper is a great choice for ESC.
I do not use a pitch control either.
But that is just me. :roll:
I am kind of a fly by the seat of your pants driver. :shock: Just ask anybody! :lol: BD.
David Welch
Commodore SR-8

Douglas, 20K
Bigdave
SubCommittee Member

Postby salmon » Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:39 pm

Someone told me they are serving Sushi at the SubRegatta, any truth to that? :-)
If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.
salmon
SubCommittee Member

Postby bikerdude666 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:46 am

Bigdave wrote:Just wanted to point out so many changes were made through out the years that there are many versions of the CD out there.
Three servos if you want bow planes. I have them but do not use them. The micro viper is a great choice for ESC.
I do not use a pitch control either.
But that is just me. :roll:
I am kind of a fly by the seat of your pants driver. :shock: Just ask anybody! :lol: BD.

:lol: Sounds like my driving/riding.... I had initially wanted both sets of planes working, but was advised there was no real need for them, and as its such a small space to work in, it might be better to not bother. So I wasn't going to bother. As for a pitch controller, I'll be using the sub in the local lake, where you can see the bottom up to about 5 foot out, so the sub won't under very long, so I suppose for a quick dive and submerge a few feet further along, there wouldn't be much need for a pitch controller....

thats all good news! I have several micro servos already (somewhere), and an Mtroniks Viper isn't a huge cost, this is almost looking affordable for me!

thanks for your help!
bikerdude666

Postby Bigdave » Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:48 am

salmon wrote:Someone told me they are serving Sushi at the SubRegatta, any truth to that? :-)

That is the plan anyway. :mrgreen:
I have most of the repairs done to the Wasabi. :wink: BD.
David Welch
Commodore SR-8

Douglas, 20K
Bigdave
SubCommittee Member

Next

Return to General