Banner Ad 1

A new generation…

Place for general submarine conversation

A new generation…

Postby SubEd Tordahl » Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:30 pm

This is a long overdue Ahoy to my fellow shipmates of the SubCommittee. Nice to see the crew is still active, and that many more have come aboard. It’s been so long since I reached out to my fellow bubbleheads that I wasn’t sure who’s still active or not. Now that my kids teenage years are over and I enter life’s 3rd chapter I’m hoping to blow the dust off the old fleet and get them wet again.

First off, many of you who remember me would remember my son Ed, who ya’ll use to call “Little Sub Eddie” or “Sub Ed Squared”. He’s not so little anymore! So I thought it would be nice for you all who helped teach him the basics of R/C Submarine modeling to hear what the next generation is doing nowadays, because as you will see, the apple has not fallen far from the tree.

You may remember I was at the 2nd Annual Subregatta (my third if we count Sayerville in ’91) while my wife was due any day with his birth. I was ordered to carry a “pager” (remember them?) by the Admiral in case she went into labor during that weekend in Groton. I mean, how much of a sub-driver can you be if you go to a Regatta with an overdue pregnant wife?? lol Ray Mason, who I travelled with for the first time, and many times afterwards, really demonstrated extreme patience with an expectant father who was trying to get his 70” DeBoer SEAVIEW trimmed and running properly. I also won awards that year as well, which still hang in my study to this day, ’93 was a great year for me for many reasons. I had also met a lot of you.

As “Little Sub Eddie” grew up with a father (and friends like you) obsessed with all aspects of Submarines, after all I am a veteran of the silent service, QM2(SS) USS ULYSSS S. GRANT SSBN631, it was little wonder what he would grow into!. Year after year we came to Groton CT and Johnston RI as he grew older. He learned, and built his own 1/96 scale ALFA, heavily influenced by members of the SubCommittee like Ray himself, or Mike Dory, Skip Assay, Jim Butt, Jeff LaRue to name but a few who know us. I think he even stole Dave Merriman’s heart when he replicated seagull poo on the rudder of his ALFA as he had seen on Dave’s own boats. Something about young boys and poo! He also built a 1/96 BLUEBACK. Both boats share the WTC.

Anyway, again I’m reaching out to let those of you who know him, learn where he is today. He spent 4 years in High School in the NJROTC program eventually becoming CO of the unit. During his senior year, he attempted to get selected for Annapolis, and then the Merchant Marine Academy in hopes of obtaining a Naval Commission. But alas, even with two Congressional Nominations, the competition was too fierce with economy being the way it is, so many young men and women applying for the Service Academies.

Regardless the kid is determined to live his dream, of becoming a Submariner in the US NAVY. So I wanted all of you who know and have certainly help influence this “child of the SubCommittee”, is that on this past Friday, February 17th, I got to see my son "Sub Eddie" graduate from RTC, Great Lakes. As I did 33 years earlier.

I would like all my fellow SubCommittee members, as well as active , reserve and veteran Submariners here also to welcome the newest member of the US Submarine Force, Naval RTC Graduate Fireman Edward O. Tordahl
Awards
Left Ribbon: The National Defense Service Medal, authorized by Executive Order 10448 currently from 11 September 2001 to a date to be determined in support of the Global War on Terrorism.
Right Ribbon: Navy Pistol Marksmanship Ribbon with "S" Device , The pistol ribbon is currently awarded for qualification on the 9mm Beretta M9 pistol in which the Navy issues the marksmanship ribbon in three levels — that of Marksman, Sharpshooter, and Expert. Ed qualified as sharpshooter, and is authorized to wear the S Device on the ribbon and appears as a bronze colored "S" for the Navy. FWIW, though quite familiar with a rifle, this was his very FIRST use of a pistol.

He is already down in Charleston, SC and will be attending Electricians Mate (EM) "A" School for 6 months which upon completion he will be automatically promoted to 3rd Class Petty Officer (NCO E4) and then attend 6 months of school at the Naval Nuclear Power School, followed by ANOTHER 6 months of training at Nuclear Power Training Unit (NPTU) which is a decommissioned Lafayette 627 Class FBM Submarine, either ex-Daniel Webster (MTS-626) or ex-Sam Rayburn (MTS-635). I’m hoping he gets the Webster (can anyone say Dave Merriman’s old boat? lol) What a trip that would be.

As a Volunteer for Sub Duty, in a year and a half he will join the fleet aboard any one of the currently commissioned US Nuclear Submarines in the Fleet.

However, during the "A" school, he plans to enroll in the NAVY's STA-21 or Seaman to Admiral - 21 is the U.S. Navy's commissioning program for the 21st century and is designed to enable active-duty Sailors to get a college degree and become commissioned officers. Hopefully fulfilling his dream to one day command a 1:1 scale boat of his own. (Did anyone say BOAT TOURS??)

BTW, he ABSOLUTELY loves the NAVY and the career he's chosen.

See folk’s, the circle is now complete; a true child of the SubComittee becomes a Submariner! :)

Hope to see ya’ll soon!

Also...I'm on FB as "Ed Tordahl" if any shipmates care to hookup!

AYS,
"Sub" Ed Tordahl
"Here on the ocean floor is the only independence......
Here I am free......" Nemo
BLUEBACK-GRANT-K432-KEY WEST-PATRICK HENRY
PROTEUS-NAUTILUS-SEAVIEW-SHARK
SubEd Tordahl

Re: A new generation…

Postby JWLaRue » Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:53 pm

Hey Ed and Ed2!

Welcome back into the hobby. And congrats to the newest member of the US Navy. (and yes, to the boat tours!)

Don't forget to renew your SC membership. :mrgreen:

-Jeff
Rohr 1.....Los!
JWLaRue
SubCommittee Member

Postby salmon » Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:59 pm

Proud dad! Thank you for sharing!
Peace,
tom
If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.
salmon
SubCommittee Member

Postby TMSmalley » Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:52 am

Great to hear from you Ed. Welcome Home!
Tim Smalley
TMSmalley
SubCommittee Member

Postby bballok32 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:34 pm

Congrats to you and your boy, I am sure you are extremely proud of him.

I am about two years ahead of your son. I am an ET instead of a EM but I am still currently in Charleston as I got picked up for instructor duty on the 635 after I graduated from prototype. If you or your son need anything or have any questions just shoot me a PM and I'll give you my number for a call. I graduated from prototype last June so I know what your son will go through.

Good luck and thanks for both your son and your service.

ET2 Taylor
bballok32

Postby Rogue Sub » Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:57 pm

The military needs more nukes and so does the civilian world.

If your boy needs any advice I am also willing to give it. Still have many friends in the pipeline and I still work in the nuke field myself.

If there was only one bit of advice I could give him it would be to finish his degree. Even if he doesnt get picked up in the sta 21 he should start pursuing it immediately. If he can make it through nuke school he should be able to brush regular college aside. Not only will it help his career later on but after he retires and starts his second career it will make him twice as attractive as the other nukes he will be competing with.

On a secondary note. When he gets the chance to choose which prototype to attend I would highly recommend heading to NY at the KSO site. I know that it would be much more interesting to train on a real submarine but those platforms they train on are just plain out of date. They have plans to turn them into razor blades but not yet. He would be much more prepared when entering the fleet if he got his training on the s8g with its more modern operation principles. Especially if he ends up on a boomer. This will make the qual progress onboard much faster. Hell look like a super star and have more time to work on advancing. A good eval is definitely key to getting picked up as an officer.

I could yack and yack but Ill yield to just saying congrats to him in becoming part of the elite and part of a community within an already elite community.

Oh and watch out for SPU s. Especially twigits.
Kevin
A Global Force For Good

http://WWW.ROGUESUBWORKS.COM
Rogue Sub

Postby bballok32 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:35 pm

Rogue Sub wrote:The military needs more nukes and so does the civilian world.

If your boy needs any advice I am also willing to give it. Still have many friends in the pipeline and I still work in the nuke field myself.

If there was only one bit of advice I could give him it would be to finish his degree. Even if he doesnt get picked up in the sta 21 he should start pursuing it immediately. If he can make it through nuke school he should be able to brush regular college aside. Not only will it help his career later on but after he retires and starts his second career it will make him twice as attractive as the other nukes he will be competing with.

On a secondary note. When he gets the chance to choose which prototype to attend I would highly recommend heading to NY at the KSO site. I know that it would be much more interesting to train on a real submarine but those platforms they train on are just plain out of date. They have plans to turn them into razor blades but not yet. He would be much more prepared when entering the fleet if he got his training on the s8g with its more modern operation principles. Especially if he ends up on a boomer. This will make the qual progress onboard much faster. Hell look like a super star and have more time to work on advancing. A good eval is definitely key to getting picked up as an officer.

I could yack and yack but Ill yield to just saying congrats to him in becoming part of the elite and part of a community within an already elite community.

Oh and watch out for SPU s. Especially twigits.

Ain't nothing wrong with those SPU's, especially those in RC Div. 8)

Charleston is better in all aspects with the exception of not being the new platform plus there is a 50/50 shot you get MARF if you go to New York :shock:
bballok32

Postby Rogue Sub » Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:57 pm

Lol ok spu. You'll still get a ration of it when you get to the boat.

Not sure charleston is neccissarily superior. Have you been to both as a retread?
Kevin
A Global Force For Good

Rogue Sub

Postby bballok32 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 2:08 pm

Rogue Sub wrote:Lol ok spu. You'll still get a ration of it when you get to the boat.

Not sure charleston is neccissarily superior. Have you been to both as a retread?

I am just kidding around.

I am of course more biased because of pride but all in all both sites are good and accomplish the same goal. Getting sailors to our fleet.
bballok32

Postby Rogue Sub » Sat Feb 25, 2012 2:18 pm

Its all good. I was 635 trained and played on the 626. Might still find my name on the port magec. Also if you need a good place to take a nap let me know LOL
Kevin
A Global Force For Good

Rogue Sub

Postby SubEd Tordahl » Sat Feb 25, 2012 4:53 pm

Thank you all for your input....passing it on to the young "nub"! :D
"Sub" Ed
AYS,
"Sub" Ed Tordahl
"Here on the ocean floor is the only independence......
Here I am free......" Nemo
BLUEBACK-GRANT-K432-KEY WEST-PATRICK HENRY
PROTEUS-NAUTILUS-SEAVIEW-SHARK
SubEd Tordahl

Return to General