Banner Ad 1

New Kit?

Place for general submarine conversation

New Kit?

Postby secrtwpn » Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:34 am

A person is selling on E-bay a 1/100 USS Los Angeles kit. (170778147113). Anyone know about it?
Farlan Clutters
secrtwpn
SubCommittee Member

Re: New Kit?

Postby salmon » Sat Feb 11, 2012 5:27 am

Not familiar to me, but I am relatively new. It is very interesting. I hope someone else will have more information.
If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.
salmon
SubCommittee Member

Postby Sub culture » Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:50 am

I recall that chap posting some build threads up on Sub Pirates many moons ago.

Price seems very reasonable to me, the moulding looks very nice in the pictures, and you only need to buy a few extras to get a working sub of high quality.
'Why are you staring at an empty pond?'

Want to dive your boat in crystal clear water? Then you had better Dive-in- http://www.diveintomodelsubmarines.co.uk
Sub culture
SubCommittee Member

Postby Chuck Chesney » Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:46 pm

WOW, what timing. I too was just getting ready to post the question about this model. It seems to be a very good bargin, and is very inexpensive for what you get. It's sold by a fellow in Santa Clara, California (think Silicon Valley),
and I'm thinking that if it turns out to be as good as what he claims it to be, it is a natural for a first sub for many people, as well as something for most of us in the hobby. It's small enough to toss in the back seat of the car for a run to the local lake on short notice.
I sent him a message on eBay, asking him if he belonged to the Subcommittee, or if he checked this site, but have yet to receive a reply. Any information on the model or the seller would be much appreciated.
Chuck

"The Japanese solders would die for the Emperor, which made them formidable. The U.S. Marines would die for each other, which made them invinceable"...Iwo Jima
Chuck Chesney

Postby Racer » Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:03 pm

Just looking through the manual for that boat.
It has a really nice section near the end for setting the boat for proper balance. 8)
Tom Mihelich
USS GRAYLING SSN-646
Racer

Postby StuartL » Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:50 pm

It looks very similar, though not identical, to the very similarly priced fibre glass moulding manufactured by Mark Windless in Wales, UK. He has a rolling Buy-It-Now on flea-bay for his mouldings.
StuartL

Postby Sub culture » Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:41 pm

Well they're both LA classes, and that is the only common ground.

Mark's boat is a larger boat at 1/72 scale, moulded in polyester resin, and is designed to be configured as a wet hull, although if one chose, you could make it a dry hull by joining the two halves together and perhaps fitting a bayonet ring.
'Why are you staring at an empty pond?'

Want to dive your boat in crystal clear water? Then you had better Dive-in- http://www.diveintomodelsubmarines.co.uk
Sub culture
SubCommittee Member

Return to General