Banner Ad 1

New to this, have questions

R/C Submarine modelers

New to this, have questions

Postby bballok32 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:36 am

While browsing the forums awhile back I heard that the Engel 212 was a good kit if you wanted to get some basic skills and eventually move on to making your own models. So that is what I went with however, I'm stuck right now on a certain step and with the lack of back up materials I don't want to risk doing something dumb and not being able to get everything put together.

"Skin each wire end and tin coat with soldering iron. Crimp one receptacle onto each wire. Cut heat shrink tube supplied in half (to about 20 mm), push over receptacles and shrink with heat gun (>90°C). Solder other wire end directly onto connection tag of motor."

I'm not really sure on what to do for this step. I have the receptacle and I don't really know which way to crimp it on because I really don't understand how it will connect to the part it is supposed to connect to, and I have no idea what this heat shrink tube stuff is and how that works either.

Some explanation would be greatly appreciated.
bballok32

Re: New to this, have questions

Postby Bigdave » Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:36 am

You picked a very nice model to start with.
I will try and answer your question.
The receptacle as they call it we call a spade lug connector. It pushes on to the micro switch and uses friction to stay on.
They are just connecting the wire to this connector that will be pushed on to the micro switch connection or lug.
Tinning the wire before you crimp it is just a good way of making a better connection.
You will need a crimping tool to do the crimp correctly. The heat shrink tubing goes over the top of the crimp to keep the connection covered and protected.
You use a heat gun or sometimes a really hot hair dryer will work.
The tubing will shrink around the connection when the heat is applied.
I hope this helps. BD.
David Welch
Commodore SR-8

"Eat your pudding Mr Land". "I ain't sure it's puddin" James Mason-Kirk
Douglas, 20K
Bigdave
SubCommittee Member

Postby bballok32 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:23 pm

Yeah that helps, my wife and I were able to figure it out before this post, but the reassurance to know that we did it right always helps.

I'm running into other troubles now with trying to identify parts, but I'll give it some more effort before I decide to come back here for help. Taking a break probably helps also, so that's my plan right now.
bballok32

Postby StuartL » Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:33 pm

FYI: Careful non-contact heating of heatshrink with a soldering iron normally works, too. Hold the iron below the heatshrink as close as you can get it without touching it.
StuartL

Postby bballok32 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:28 pm

I thought about doing that, but was a little cautious. However, a lighter worked perfectly.
bballok32

Postby Bigdave » Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:49 pm

Glad it helped you.
A lighter will work but it's just something about putting an open flame next to my boat sends shivers up my spine. :shock: :lol:
Any more questions ask away! :wink:
I always say there is no such thing as a dumb question, just dumb answers. :mrgreen: BD.
David Welch
Commodore SR-8

"Eat your pudding Mr Land". "I ain't sure it's puddin" James Mason-Kirk
Douglas, 20K
Bigdave
SubCommittee Member

Postby StuartL » Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:18 pm

Bigdave wrote:A lighter will work but it's just something about putting an open flame next to my boat sends shivers up my spine. :shock: :lol:

You can also get carbon deposits on the heatshrink and/or connectors from the 'unclean' yellow-burning flame. I prefer a hot hairdryer or the soldering iron because you don't tend to get those deposits. If pushed I've used (at some distance) a blue flame from a cooking hob, but I don't think I'd do that near anything flammable or likely to melt.
StuartL

Postby bballok32 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:22 pm

The only thing I need to get this sub running (besides building it of course) is a radio, do you guys who have experience with this kit have a recommendation for a radio to get. I don't know how big the receiver needs to be or if they come in standard sizes no matter where you get them.

So what would be a good radio to get for this kit?
bballok32

Postby JWLaRue » Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:38 pm

Which Engel ballast control electronic system did your 212 come with?

In general most, if not all, radios that can run 75MHz will work. My favorite (and BD's as well) is the Multiplex Evo. They do not come factory tuned for 75MHz, but are convertable from a number of certified r/c shops.

-Jeff
Rohr 1.....Los!
JWLaRue
SubCommittee Member

Postby Sub culture » Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:43 pm

Any basic four channel set on surface frequency will suffice. However I would try and get a set with at least 6-channels, as four channels leaves you little to no room for adding additional features, should you wish to progress in this hobby.
'Why are you staring at an empty pond?'

Want to dive your boat in crystal clear water? Then you had better Dive-in- http://www.diveintomodelsubmarines.co.uk
Sub culture
SubCommittee Member

Postby subdude » Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:17 pm

bballok,

It might be very helpful if you add your location to your profile. If there's a SubRon near you, contact them as well. Lots of good people around willing to help....
Underwater, the ONLY way to fly!

SubCommittee member #0069 (since the dawn of time)
subdude
SubCommittee Member

Postby bballok32 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:38 pm

Okay I have some more questions.

I am on step 7 and I'm working on the receiver battery I understand the first 3 substeps about soldering on the connectors but at 7.4 for the rest I get confused.

It says extend the receiver battery lead with silicone wire and stuff about a JST connector and stuff for the rest of 7 all the way to step 7.6, I have no idea what to do here. I would like some help please.
bballok32

Return to R/C Modeler