Banner Ad 1

Disney Nautilus model complete!

Nautilus, Seaview, and more

Disney Nautilus model complete!

Postby Bob the Builder » Tue Jan 03, 2012 3:38 pm

Well... its been a long trip, but I'm very happy to say that I've completed what I've termed my "SuperSub" build for a good friend up in New York. The finished project looks great and while I still have a few small things to address, it is basically in its final display form. This is a display model only.

This has been a huge learning experience for me and I was forced to engineer a ton of features that I had no idea how to tackle when I first started. Did they turn out perfectly? Well.. no, not all of them. But I am happy with the overall effect of everything, and it will be a great display piece for its new owner.

A couple of the features that I built into the model did not pan out as I'd hoped. Specifically, the breathers underwent some shipping damage when I moved houses this summer. The break occured internally, and unless someone knows of a good proctologist I will consider the damage irreversible. Scratch the breathers. Also, some of you may remember my operational spiral speed indicator. Worked great until after I got things sealed up and let it sit for six months. After that time the assembly seized and the internal belt popped off. Scratch feature #2...

Thankfully, the rest of the build has proved to be vastly more bulletproof and after a few weeks of constant operation and display in my home, it seems to be standing the test of time well.

Take a look and let me know what you think!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykBjDmmwQnM
Bob Martin,
RCSub homepage: http://www.rc-sub.com
Bob the Builder
SubCommittee Member

Re: Disney Nautilus model complete!

Postby Sub culture » Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:31 pm

Very nice!!

Too bad a couple of the features got banjaxed.
'Why are you staring at an empty pond?'

Want to dive your boat in crystal clear water? Then you had better Dive-in- http://www.diveintomodelsubmarines.co.uk
Sub culture
SubCommittee Member

Postby JWLaRue » Tue Jan 03, 2012 6:29 pm

Bob,

As always, very nicely done!

Any chance I can entice you into writing an article for the SCR? I think folks would be especially interested in what's behind the "huge learning experience" and details around the engineering of "a ton of features that I had no idea how to tackle when I first started".

Including some details about the parts that did not turn out perfectly would also be of great interest.

...let me know! :)

-tnx,

Jeff
Rohr 1.....Los!
JWLaRue
SubCommittee Member

Postby Bob the Builder » Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:48 pm

Yep.. there's a chance!

Let me see how my time does over the next short while. What is the deadline for the next issue?
Bob Martin,
RCSub homepage: http://www.rc-sub.com
Bob the Builder
SubCommittee Member

Postby Robert F. » Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:18 pm

Bob,

it looks absolutely perfect! :!: :!:

I for one would be very interested in how you engineered the working salon iris and access hatch, so an article on this would be very nice indeed, in the next SCR issue or the one after that or...... well, you get the point.

Robert
Robert F.
SubCommittee Member

Postby JWLaRue » Wed Jan 04, 2012 6:31 pm

Bob,

...Robert is correct. If not for the March issue, then possibly the June issue. (the deadline for the March issue is next week. :wink: )

-Jeff
Rohr 1.....Los!
JWLaRue
SubCommittee Member

Postby Timothy Guest » Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:49 pm

Fabulous. Bravo.
Timothy Guest
SubCommittee Member

Return to Television and Movie Submarines