Banner Ad 1

Bus Bar, The way to go for powering up?

R/C Submarine modelers

Bus Bar, The way to go for powering up?

Postby Mickster » Wed Dec 28, 2011 1:26 am

Hello
I am starting to wire up my engel gato and would like to ask for some advice.
Lots of items inside need power from the main supply like the motors, esc's
and dive system. I was thinking, and have seen, a power bus bar used in some of
your build photos. Any concerns to powering up stuff thru this method? After an
hour on the web I am not able to fine a source.

Anyone know of a source or other options?

Thanks again for the help,
mickster
Mickster

Re: Bus Bar, The way to go for powering up?

Postby Feet Wet » Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:16 am

Mickster,
Engel makes a nice magnet switch which can be activated thru their hull. I beleive they have one rated at 16 amps. Check their web-site.
Jonathan
Feet Wet
SubCommittee Member

Postby Mickster » Wed Dec 28, 2011 6:07 pm

Thanks, have one ordered,

I would still like some kind of bus bar to link up all the power leads
in one location. I would use the switch to make it "hot".

Have you built the Eng. Gato?
Mickster

Postby Sub culture » Thu Dec 29, 2011 6:02 am

A bus bar can be as simple as a couple of binding posts suitably mounted and isolated from one another.

Alternatively it can be a metal strip with tapped connections- many ways to skin that cat.

A lot of Engel boats use a separate receiver battery pack, if your Gato has such a system, then you will need a separate means of switching that supply from the main battery pack.
'Why are you staring at an empty pond?'

Want to dive your boat in crystal clear water? Then you had better Dive-in- http://www.diveintomodelsubmarines.co.uk
Sub culture
SubCommittee Member

Postby Ramius-II » Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:48 am

Hi Mickster :D
There are basically two way to wire up all the elecrtonics. One way is called the "daisy chain" method where power and ground go to one device and then continue on to the next device and so on. This is not the preferred method as the wire to the first device would have to be a very heavy gauge to be able to carry the current for all the other devices that are connected. IMHO the best method is the "home run" technique where each device is connected to a single point and I believe this is what you intend to do which is great as if one device were to short out for some reason and you were to burn up a wire you would only be replacing one set of wires. Typically it is best to first connect your batteries Positive to a fuse probably the 10 amp type and then on to your main connection point. A few "tips" when wiring. First take the two wires that are going to a device, put them in the end of a drill and twist them together. This makes wire runs easier and helps reduce or eliminate noise. For your main drive motor be sure to have as heavy a wire as possible connected to the case of the motor and then run it directly to the ground. Next pick one side of the sub for all your wires away from things like the receiver, auto leveler, etc. Please also keep in mind that servo do come with twisted wires as well. If you are wondering why, twisting the wires basically causes the wires to become a filter capacitor along the lenght of the wires! One technique is to take a block of plastic and install three 10-32 screws. One screw becomes one side of your fuse holder, then second screw the other side of the fuse holder and positive connection terminal for all your wires and the third terminal is for all your ground wires. It is also a desireable practice to solder the crimp on the end of the "ring terminal" at the end of the wires being placed upon the screws. In addition you could also become fancy and either install a small LED after the fuse so you can see if you have power or you can install an red LED across the fuse so if the fuse blows the LED will lite up! Hope all this contributes to a great wiring job.

Yours, Ed
Just one more wire!
SC# 2268
WB6NSN
Ramius-II
SubCommittee Member

Postby nuge » Mon Jan 02, 2012 6:29 pm

Dear Sir,

Go to the local Radio Shack or similar electronic supply store and look at the racks. They most likely will have many types of terminal buses available.
Good luck!

Sincerly,

George
nuge
SubCommittee Member

Return to R/C Modeler