Banner Ad 1

Jules Verne NAUTILUS in 72 scale --- 4th try

This is the place to post your submarine build- ups.

Re: Jules Verne NAUTILUS in 72 scale --- 4th try

Postby brucethebrush » Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:23 am

Still think ya shoulda just whittled down a tree limb.
brucethebrush

Postby modelnut » Fri Sep 16, 2011 4:12 pm

Well. I can't scribe details into the hull as it stands now. The Bondo is too brittle for that. And in some places the cloth is pretty close to the surface. Can't scribe that either. :evil:

Matt/Thor has advised me to get some XTREME DTM High Build 5425 primer. So I ordered some today.

Here is the thread: http://s181686668.onlinehome.us/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=10644&p=63442#p63442

- Leelan
modelnut
SubCommittee Member

Postby SteveNeill » Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:48 am

The hull looks great! Really even and smooth!

Steve
SteveNeill
SubCommittee Member

Postby modelnut » Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:13 pm

Just got a tool in the mail today that I ordered to check the hull for roundness. And I have the high-build primer ready to go. A good friend (who just so happens to have a workshop any of us would envy :shock: ) built me a jig so that I can cut and etch straight lines in the hull when the time comes. :D

I've started on the skiff and I have cut plexiglass for the fore and aft planes. And I have put together a few mock-ups of the wheel house. I'm trying to stay within Verne's limits but it ain't easy. You see his NAUTILUS is fictional. I want to built her as if she really existed so she has to be practical.

- Leelan
modelnut
SubCommittee Member

Postby modelnut » Fri Oct 28, 2011 3:00 pm

OK. I have been putting this off for fear that my hull isn't round enough. It looks round. But there are a few places where it doesn't feel round. You know what I mean?
I know that the hull doesn't have to be perfect. Just close enough. I will cut the check tools within the hour. If I'm lucky I can start brushing on the primer soon after. If I'm not so lucky then I get to add-putty-sand-and-repeat until I'm satisfied. :roll:

I waited until now for the summer heat to die down and because I am now on vacation. I have more than just one afternoon to devote to the project.

- Leelan
modelnut
SubCommittee Member

Postby modeleer » Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:11 pm

modelnut wrote: I want to built her as if she really existed so she has to be practical. - Leelan
:D

nice work!
modeleer

Postby brucethebrush » Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:24 am

Hiya Leelan,
Any progress? Inquiring minds want to know. Where'd you get the plans again?
Bruce
brucethebrush

Postby modelnut » Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:34 am

No progress yet. It is such a huge project that it gets a little daunting. It seems that I work and work and work on it and it never gets any nearer to being finished. :roll:

I have two weeks off in December so I hope to get something done then.

I originally got the plans from Greg Sharpe. I had him reduce the plans to 72 scale years and years ago. I scanned them at Kinko's and tweaked them on my computer to get them the way I wanted my NAUTILUS to be built. But I couldn't have done even this much without Greg and the example of all the builds I've seen done here on the forum.

-Leelan
modelnut
SubCommittee Member

Postby modelnut » Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:44 am

This image is a manipulation of a scan of the original that lead to this image:

Alan Moore's graphic novel, The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, features a giant, double-hulled Nautilus. This original concept, with one hull in the form of a giant squid attached to a second whale-shaped hull, has little to do with Verne, but the sequel, The Black Dossier, includes a small image of the first Nautilus with illustrator Kevin O'Neill's cut-away drawing of the second. O'Neill's spindle-hulled design has a massive ram backed up by large raker fins. It appears he has moved the lantern just forward of the wheelhouse and placed a large porthole in the lower aft hull, but most everything else matches the description in the novel.

- Leelan
modelnut
SubCommittee Member

Postby brucethebrush » Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:09 am

Hey Leelan,
Been awhile. How's the Nautilus build coming?
Bruce
brucethebrush

Postby modelnut » Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:21 pm

On hold waiting for consistent warm weather. I still need to apply that thick primer coat to give the hull a surface I can detail.

- Leelan
modelnut
SubCommittee Member

Postby brucethebrush » Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:50 am

Hiya Leelan,
Just wondering how your Nautilus build is going. Since I'm not working on mine just yet, I'd love to see what you're doing.
Bruce
brucethebrush

Postby modelnut » Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:19 pm

She is on hold for the moment.

My family and I just moved to another state. We have had long ass days filled with moving drudgery ever since last Sunday. We are E X H A U S T E D ! :shock:

The NAUTILUS is in her jig waiting to be sprayed with super-duper primer to give her a skin I can detail. Her hull is as perfectly spindle-shaped as I can manage. Once the primer is on I will finalize the design of the platform.

Then pictures, I promise. :D

- Leelan
modelnut
SubCommittee Member

Postby brucethebrush » Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:55 am

Hiya Leelan,
Was this part of the witness protection program? And you couldn't make room in the moving van to paint the Nautilus while in transit? I think your priorities need some serious readjustment, dude. I mean, there are some people here, not me of course, but some, who are waiting anxiously to see how the saga unfolds. Just hope all went off without a hitch and your house got smaller while the workroom got bigger.
Bruce
brucethebrush

Postby modelnut » Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:31 pm

The house got bigger. There are two extra rooms in the new house. Now instead of having the Man Cave hold our library and my studio. there is a separate room for our books. Of course, we haven't got all the books unpacked and stowed just yet --- there are about 3000 of them after all. :roll: The Cave will be the last to be set up. Hopefully I will have the decks cleared for action by the end of this coming Sunday.

THEN I have to borrow a friend's sprayer to apply the expensive primer. It just never seems to end . . .

- Leelan
modelnut
SubCommittee Member

PreviousNext

Return to Builder Threads