Banner Ad 1

Where I've been lately-1701 TOS Enterprise

Place for general submarine conversation

Re: Where I've been lately-1701 TOS Enterprise

Postby JefftyToo » Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:47 am

Steve,

Some readers may recall your finish-up-my-Seaview build was one of your aforementioned distractions this year. You KNOW I'm one of your biggest fans, and have been following the TOS build videos with relish! (Can't wait to see her in person, and since I'm lucky enough to live in the L.A. area, you know I CAN!) You also know I've got one of those big CR Disney Nautili well along on my OWN builder's ways, so we'll be comparing and contrasting approaches and final results somewhere down the line. It'll be fun to run them together someday too—as I continue my search for decent local water...

Hang in there, bro'—I'll be watching!
Best,
Jeff Porteous
Sure writing is easy: just sit staring at a blank page until the drops of blood start forming on your forehead.
JefftyToo
SubCommittee Member

Postby SteveNeill » Fri Oct 14, 2011 3:59 pm

Jeff thanks sooo much and do find that water soon before I have to start replacing seals from lack of us. ;) My boats need some water and LA seems to lack any interest in local runs or RC subs! Of all places.

Steve
SteveNeill
SubCommittee Member

Postby U-33 » Sun Oct 16, 2011 4:04 pm

Been having a bad time Steve, if it's not one thing it's another! Back to normal now though...

How's the good lady now, mate? Back on her own two feet, I guess?

Rich
Secretary/Webmaster: The Association of Model Submariners

http://www.theassociationofmodelsubmariners.com
U-33

Postby SteveNeill » Sun Oct 16, 2011 5:26 pm

She's fighting stage 4 cancer but beating it rather nicely. Still it's real tough one but her out look is quite good. So ya, tell me about it.

BTW glad to hear you are back to it. I look forward to seeing your beautiful work in the future.

BTW the E is finished today. Got the Bussard collectors turning and blinking. Here's a coupe of stills. Video later.

Steve

SteveNeill
SubCommittee Member

Postby Pirate » Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:27 pm

Ready to film a brand new episode, Steve? I think... you got... the power, Captain.
HOLD FAST
Pirate
SubCommittee Member

Postby SteveNeill » Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:10 pm

Thanks Pete!

As a matter of fact she is going to be filmed on green screen. And a bit more but more on that later. We are up to 46 videos on the build as of tonight.

Steve
SteveNeill
SubCommittee Member

Postby SteveNeill » Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:59 pm

Here's the latest on the Big Enterprise. She's near done and lighted up. Nacelles rotate and all. Almost a year to the date since I started scratch building her.

Here are some pictures for now I'll get better ones soon. The brace is still in place until tomorrow while the epoxy gets 24 ours to cure all the way.

The pictures as usual seems to over expose the nacelles. The camera tries to pick the best match based on the total surface area of the model. I'll try manual exposures next.

And I'll move a few more things off the table I didn't see like the light. Drape a black BKG.

Tomorrow I start on the chair and get back to work on the CGI set. So the videos will continue.

Video 46 is loading now. I'll post it later.

Steve

and here is one for scale before I finished it. It's hard to tell otherwise just how big this model is.

Postby SteveNeill » Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:16 pm

Well I finished it. And next up I doing a short film with her and some sets I built. More on that later. Here's the finished model.

Keep in mind the nacelles over expose on camera and they have the same effect as the original model with turning cages inside the domes. The video shows it better.

The video is HD so watch it full screen if you have the connection speed.

Steve
SteveNeill
SubCommittee Member

Postby JWLaRue » Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:43 pm

Steve,

Beautiful, just beautiful. I'm glad to see that you refrained from the heavy panel line look that a certain someone used when refurbishing the original shooting model. :)

It's also interesting that your model appears white when under strong lighting....just like the original.

So where are you going to hang it now that it's done?

-Jeff
Rohr 1.....Los!
JWLaRue
SubCommittee Member

Postby SteveNeill » Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:31 pm

Thanks Jeff. It will stay on the stand it has to for the power sources. It's a studio model and that's how they were built. The Smithsonian wouldn't light the original so they hung it. Not right. And the restoration in the 90s wasn't right either. She never looked close to that.

Good eye in catching that Jeff. I was contacted by a group recently for it's restoration back to the original 60s filming. They asked me to head it up. Imagine that.

More on that later. She's still a big sub in space no matter how you think of it. ;)

Thanks again Jeff,

Steve
SteveNeill
SubCommittee Member

Postby JWLaRue » Sat Oct 22, 2011 9:54 am

Steve,

If you do come to D.C. to do the restoration, I will gladly volunteer to be your 'go-fer'......just to have an opportunity to actually get close to the original. (and I mean more than just staring at it in it's current glass case)

-Jeff
Rohr 1.....Los!
JWLaRue
SubCommittee Member

Postby sundownernz » Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:08 pm

Hi Steve,

I'm new to this board and just browsing through the various pages when your post caught my eye. That is an awesome model you have built there. Truely enspiring workmanship. I'll check out your build videos shortly.

I'm a Star Trek fan, though wouldn't go as far as to say I'm a Trekkie. I'm currently building a 1:72 Revell Gato (my first sub) having been building surface targets to date, and in doing the reasearch for sub building came across the Starfleet Yokosuka Drydock guys in Japan. Don't know if you've seen their work but they build Startrek models (and others) as working submarines and fly them underwater in swimming pools. A model this big would be a bit of a mission but have you thought about doing a smaller one as a working sub model?

Anyway, awesome work my friend and I look forward to checking out your videos.

Cheers,
Garry
sundownernz
SubCommittee Member

Postby JWLaRue » Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:35 pm

Garry,

I've seen some of the videos for the underwater starships.....very neat!

The spacecraft I'd like to build as an underwater 'flyer' is the Pan Am space clipper from 2001.......if only I could find some scale, detailed drawings.

-Jeff
Rohr 1.....Los!
JWLaRue
SubCommittee Member

Postby salmon » Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:59 am

Steve,
What about that captain's chair? It is quite the complement to this ship!
Peace,
Tom
If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.
salmon
SubCommittee Member

Postby SteveNeill » Sat Nov 05, 2011 1:43 am

Thanks guys. I have seen those models before and even started one but never finished it. To get this into an RC sub would be a handful at this size.

As far as the Captain's chair goes you guys need to follow my blog www.steveneill.wordpress.com I built and screen accurate 1:1 scale chair. Nearly finished and will be tomorrow.

Garry welcome to the board and Sub Committee.

Thanks again,
Steve
SteveNeill
SubCommittee Member

Previous

Return to General