Banner Ad 1

Jules Verne NAUTILUS in 72 scale --- 4th try

This is the place to post your submarine build- ups.

Re: Jules Verne NAUTILUS in 72 scale --- 4th try

Postby modelnut » Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:42 pm

I don't know about the silicone. But the paper model left a few gaps. It does not go together perfectly. So the duck tape "covered over a multitude of sins."

I have two layers of fiberglass on the buck now. It is way too hot to sit outside and sand fiberglass so I am going to wait a bit. It was 105 degrees yesterday afternoon. :evil:

In the meantime I have ordered Evercoat Metal Glaze online since no one in any store near me has ever heard of it. And I've also ordered some LED's since I am going to have my boat light up.

Wasn't there an article sometime last year about putting lights on submarine models? I need some pointers.

- Leelan
modelnut
SubCommittee Member

Postby modelnut » Sun Jul 31, 2011 1:30 pm

OK. The third and last layer of fiberglass has been applied. Now we wait for it to cure. And we wait for the Evercoat to arrive.

Oy. More sanding . . .

- Leelan
modelnut
SubCommittee Member

Postby salmon » Sun Jul 31, 2011 4:10 pm

Leelan,

It is funny how roles change. You posted that you lived vicariously through others that posted. And now here I am living through your learning experience and being inspired to someday (keyword) do this myself.
Thank you.
And as far as thank you(s) go - to all the posters here, many of you have shared your knowledge and passion and time on this forum and I want to say thank you. Sometimes we do not say it enough.
If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.
salmon
SubCommittee Member

Postby modelnut » Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:39 pm

OK. FOURTH and final layer of fiberglass applied. Will sand it smooth this Sunday morning after work.

Then I need to apply layers of Evercoat Metal Glaze to make her smooth. Soon after that I can start crafting the platform and the pilot house and the lantern. And the keel. And the rudder and diving planes.

Sometime with the rudder and diving planes I will have to cut the hull apart in order to install the paraphernalia for these control surfaces. Then I will also have to make keys (or tabs) to be able to reassemble the hull for action or display.

One thing always leads to another.

- Leelan
modelnut
SubCommittee Member

Postby modelnut » Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:48 pm

BTW.

Some things I have learned about laying fiberglass that no one mentioned.

One. You use cheap disposable brushes to apply the resin because you can't use them again after.

Two. Use disposable gloves when working with the fiber glass and resin. Use them once and throw them away. I got some real good rubber gloves when I started this thinking I could reuse them whenever I had to apply another layer of fiberglass. Wrong. The residual resin on the gloves does not come off. It will stick to the new glass cloth you are trying to use, pull threads, pull the cloth off the model you are working on and generally cause a bigger mess and more work than you ever intended. :evil:

Three. Plan on using two to three times more cloth and resin than your first estimate. It isn't as strong and thick as you imagine. I was told I needed a hull thickness of 1/8 inch. Two layers were not anywhere near enough. :evil:

- Leelan
Last edited by modelnut on Sun Aug 21, 2011 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
modelnut
SubCommittee Member

Postby modelnut » Sun Aug 21, 2011 1:52 pm

Making progress.

Here she is with four layers of fiberglass and one of Evercoat Metal Glaze.

I did not plan on the hull growing in length. Only in girth. Short-sighted of me I guess. :roll:

I don't know if it is worth screwing up the hull to take out three to four centimeters. :?

Maybe another layer or two of EMG to get the hull smooth. Then it's on to detailing and control surfaces.

- Leelan
modelnut
SubCommittee Member

Postby modelnut » Sun Aug 21, 2011 7:19 pm

Hmmm. It is probably better not to cut four centimeters out of the hull. That would most likely just ruin the hull's integrity to correct a detail that no one else will ever notice. :roll:

I have run out of blue cream hardener for my tub of Evercoat Metal Glaze. I've contacted the person I bought it from. But, just in case, does anyone know if a substitute might be found locally. Fat chance probably. No one in the Athens area has ever heard of Evercoat. And I've checked the local boating supply stores.

- Leelan
modelnut
SubCommittee Member

Postby modelnut » Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:48 pm

Worked on the NAUTILUS for about eight hours, sanding and filling. :x My least favorite thing but it will get me there.

I checked the diameter using a tool I made weeks ago.

Fits like a glove! :mrgreen:
This means that she is 11cm in diameter as she should be at 72nd scale. AND it means that the hull is about 1/8 inch in thickness which was recommended to me. YAY ME!

Here she is with a good coat of primer grey.

There are a few flaws and pinholes showing but not as many as there could be. And it shows that the shape is pretty even all over. Shouldn't be too hard to fix. :lol:

Now I get to move on to the wheelhouse, the platform, diving planes and rudder.

- Leelan
modelnut
SubCommittee Member

Postby salmon » Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:53 pm

Leelan,
Great job and major hurdle crossed! Congratulations!
Peace,
Tom
If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.
salmon
SubCommittee Member

Postby Bob the Builder » Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:11 am

Honestly, I think you're over the hardest part. Now onto the fun stuff!
Bob Martin,
RCSub homepage: http://www.rc-sub.com
Bob the Builder
SubCommittee Member

Postby brucethebrush » Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:45 am

Leelan,
That is looking soooo cool. Can't wait for the next installment. I know it's been a long road, but hang in there.
Bruce
brucethebrush

Postby modelnut » Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:40 am

Now I am at the point of needing gelcoat. Do you think a boating supply place might have some? It's such a pain waiting for stuff to be delivered in the mail. :cry:

- Leelan
modelnut
SubCommittee Member

Postby brucethebrush » Sun Sep 04, 2011 7:57 am

Hey Leelan,
Yeah, boat places will have the Gelcoat. I live next to the Mississippi and there are boat shops everywhere. Also try auto repair supply places. Gots ta fix that Corvette, ya know. Just a thought, should you be applying Gelcoat over primer, or is this a buck to make a mold from?
Oh, I finally have my very own Nautilus from Drydocks. What a beauty. But would love to build one of these steam-punk ships someday. Maybe after I retire.
Bruce
brucethebrush

Postby modelnut » Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:37 am

It is primer. I can sand it off if necessary. I just needed to check the surface.

Does it make any difference what kind of gelcoat I get? Can I apply it over primer? Or should I sand it off?

- Leelan
modelnut
SubCommittee Member

Postby brucethebrush » Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:21 am

I'm not sure you need Gelcoat. It's my understanding that in doing boat hulls, the Gelcoat goes on the inside of the mold first then is backed up with fiberglass. I'd say you already have a good enough surface for priming and painting. That is unless you've already inhaled enough fumes to actually enjoy what you're doing. Do they have a 10-step program for this?
Bruce
brucethebrush

PreviousNext

Return to Builder Threads