Banner Ad 1

The Nautilus lives! - It has finally.... come to pass.

Nautilus, Seaview, and more

Postby Bob the Builder » Tue Feb 17, 2004 3:19 pm

Testing of my model was undertaken this last Sunday, and marked the 27th month of construction.

Things went far better than I expected, mostly due to a generous offer by the intrepid Greg Sharpe to help me get her trimmed out.

I brough the Nautilus over to Greg's secret "Sharpe Cave" and we threw it in his custom-built testing tank. Surprisingly, the Nautilus floated on a dead-even keel, slightly high in the water.

We also tested my motor / prop combo (automotive radiator fan motor and scratch-built sledgehammer prop). This motor has punch! It actually rolled the sub over at 30degrees to port at full throttle and blew water five feet behind the tank. I was suitably impressed, as was Greg who initially favored a more conventional hobby motor.

With the redistribution of foam and the addition of some lead in the keel, we had her sitting just above scale waterline, level while surfaced and just slightly low in the stern when submerged (not really noticeable, so we decided to leave well enough alone until after our first lake-test). The addition of the lead in the keel also significantly reduced the torque-induced-roll that we initially experienced.

The ballast system performed flawlessly, and I got ten full blows from the system before running out. My ballast tank is a cylinder measuring 6" in diameter and 6" in length.

This week I will be cleaning up the foam, painting it where it shows under my deck grating and mouting it permanently with silicone. I'll also wire my lighting system to the WTC for remote operation.

Her maiden voyage is scheduled for this weekend, weather permitting, at nearby Thetis lake. Greg has even hinted that he may pull a sub or two off his shelf himself!

I've got a few pics of the completed model on My Site. Feel free to check it out.

Surfacing / Diving .AVI (approx 10mb)

Throttle Testing .AVI (approx 4mb)

Edited By Bob the Builder on 1077045705
Bob Martin,
RCSub homepage: http://www.rc-sub.com
Bob the Builder
SubCommittee Member

Postby ThierryC » Tue Feb 17, 2004 4:29 pm

Congrats on a job well done !!!
There are 10 kind of people, those who undertand binary and those who don't !
Sub-Systems
ThierryC

Postby Novagator » Tue Feb 17, 2004 4:51 pm

That is beautiful, I wish someone sold a kit that well done of the Nautilus. :cool:
John Cottingham
Sub Committee Member #2721
Novagator
SubCommittee Member

Postby 99-1073702857 » Tue Feb 17, 2004 8:43 pm

Bob...Congratulations on the finest model sub that I have ever seen. Following the building of your boat has been an adventure for many of us out in SubCommitteeland. Beautiful job, superb craftmanship, intellegent and well thought out building process . GOOD SHOW ! :D
99-1073702857

Postby JWLaRue » Tue Feb 17, 2004 8:47 pm

Bob,

....how about putting together an article for the SCR? :)

-Jeff
Rohr 1.....Los!
JWLaRue
SubCommittee Member

Postby Bob the Builder » Wed Feb 18, 2004 11:57 am

OK....
Bob Martin,
RCSub homepage: http://www.rc-sub.com
Bob the Builder
SubCommittee Member

Postby sam reichart » Wed Feb 18, 2004 2:29 pm

Bob-
what a beautiful model! you should be very proud of her!

BTW, navigating through your website is a joy, not a chore....nicely done. I wish I had a web designer that had this much talent... :D
what were once vices are now habits
sam reichart
SubCommittee Member

Postby JWLaRue » Wed Feb 18, 2004 5:03 pm

Bob,

Excellent! I'll be glad to assist you however needed to help you get an article pulled together.

-tnx,

Jeff
Rohr 1.....Los!
JWLaRue
SubCommittee Member

Postby TMSmalley » Thu Feb 19, 2004 10:50 am

Looking at Bob's personal website, he has most of the information and photographs ready to go. That's the sign of an organized mind. Way to go Bob! I wish I had kept as good records when I was building the Hunley.
:(
Tim
Tim Smalley
TMSmalley
SubCommittee Member

Postby JWLaRue » Thu Feb 19, 2004 5:45 pm

...he's so organized that he already sent me the article! Now that's what I call a great response!

-Jeff
Rohr 1.....Los!
JWLaRue
SubCommittee Member

Postby TMSmalley » Thu Feb 19, 2004 5:54 pm

What? He didn't lay it out in Pagemaker yet?!! Sheesh - what a slow-poke :laugh:
T

Edited By TMSmalley on 1077227709
Tim Smalley
TMSmalley
SubCommittee Member

Postby TK-7642 » Sat Feb 21, 2004 11:28 pm

Great job! I hope mine goes that well.
TK-7642

Postby Captain Nemo » Sun Feb 22, 2004 9:19 am

Well Bob, we've been talking about this for a while, but the day has finally arrived. Guess I'll have to start work on your page at VSC. :)

Nice additions will be those AVI's of the boat in the tank. I hope you get more real soon when you dunk her in the lake.

Interesting to note that yours sat level first time in the water. Most people I know experience the same thing. For all the extra "stuff" the NAUTILUS has (fins, rakers, ram, etc.) she's a very honest boat. Ol' Harper Goff knew what he was doing!

Congrats, Man!

Pat
VULCANIA SUBMARINE: Home of the Nautilus Minisub and 20,000 Leagues Diving Suits
Captain Nemo

Postby Work Man » Mon Feb 23, 2004 11:43 am

:D I was going to say what a great looking Nautilus, but it all has been said Great Job!!!!
Work Man

Postby Sub culture » Mon Feb 23, 2004 12:38 pm

Bob the Builder wrote:Testing of my model was undertaken this last Sunday, and marked the 27th month of construction.

Things went far better than I expected, mostly due to a generous offer by the intrepid Greg Sharpe to help me get her trimmed out.

I brough the Nautilus over to Greg's secret "Sharpe Cave" and we threw it in his custom-built testing tank. Surprisingly, the Nautilus floated on a dead-even keel, slightly high in the water.

We also tested my motor / prop combo (automotive radiator fan motor and scratch-built sledgehammer prop). This motor has punch! It actually rolled the sub over at 30degrees to port at full throttle and blew water five feet behind the tank. I was suitably impressed, as was Greg who initially favored a more conventional hobby motor.

With the redistribution of foam and the addition of some lead in the keel, we had her sitting just above scale waterline, level while surfaced and just slightly low in the stern when submerged (not really noticeable, so we decided to leave well enough alone until after our first lake-test). The addition of the lead in the keel also significantly reduced the torque-induced-roll that we initially experienced.

The ballast system performed flawlessly, and I got ten full blows from the system before running out. My ballast tank is a cylinder measuring 6" in diameter and 6" in length.

This week I will be cleaning up the foam, painting it where it shows under my deck grating and mouting it permanently with silicone. I'll also wire my lighting system to the WTC for remote operation.

Her maiden voyage is scheduled for this weekend, weather permitting, at nearby Thetis lake. Greg has even hinted that he may pull a sub or two off his shelf himself!

I've got a few pics of the completed model on My Site. Feel free to check it out.

Surfacing / Diving .AVI (approx 10mb)

Throttle Testing .AVI (approx 4mb)

I thought that motor would do the trick! :D

Nice an quiet too, no gear whine!

Andy
'Why are you staring at an empty pond?'

Want to dive your boat in crystal clear water? Then you had better Dive-in- http://www.diveintomodelsubmarines.co.uk
Sub culture
SubCommittee Member

Next

Return to Television and Movie Submarines