Banner Ad 1

Jeff Porteous's Repair Yard

Local Chapter covering Texas, Oklahoma, Colorado, Kansas, and Nebraska.

Re: Jeff Porteous's Repair Yard

Postby SteveNeill » Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:53 am

Well she finished!

Did the final paint and finishing today. I'll let the pictures and video do the talking,

Enjoy,

Steve

The video has about 20 minutes to go to upload it. HD always takes longer and I hope you guys realize you can watch these full screen and 720 p.

I'll be back with the video. I know Jeff wants to see the pictures.
SteveNeill
SubCommittee Member

Postby SteveNeill » Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:19 am

Here's that video:

Time for me to hit the rack!

Steve
SteveNeill
SubCommittee Member

Postby Bigdave » Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:16 am

I could say it looks really nice but that would be an understatement. :roll:
But it looks really nice!! 8) :mrgreen: BD.
David Welch
Commodore SR-8

"Eat your pudding Mr Land". "I ain't sure it's puddin" James Mason-Kirk
Douglas, 20K
Bigdave
SubCommittee Member

Postby SteveNeill » Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:12 pm

Thanks BD!

Steve
SteveNeill
SubCommittee Member

Postby Rick Teskey » Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:16 pm

Well its about time!!! What is it , 8 years since I laid up the hull?
What a fantastic build by you both .
Only bad thing I have too say is my last name is spelled ..TESKEY
After seeing her run I must break out the molds and build myself another one , I seem too sell them soon after layup ,so I vow too keep the next one for my self, o.k. the next one after that , my buddy Bruce wants one.
Steve did you find that this hull was less likely too dive as conpared too the DeBore 4 window version?
Rick Teskey
Rick Teskey
SubCommittee Member

Postby Thor » Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:35 pm

Too cool, Steve. I love it!!!!

Matt
Thor
SubCommittee Member

Postby SteveNeill » Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:40 pm

Rick sorry about the name people do it to me all the time too.

No I have built His, Polars lights(2) and now yours. They are all the same. Full throttle they jack up their rears hight out of the water and the nose goes down.

Deflector can help but I did use them on yours. The reversed sail planes and the APC made it nice and smooth as long as you don't horse on the elevator. Best to set a bit of up trim. Hand off the dive planes. Blow ballast and move forward slowly. She will dive level on her own. I learned this from the Polar lights version I still have.

Now for some reason the Dennis's 57 inch seem to plow a bit more. The deflectors helped but them again I did have the sail planes reversed. That might be it.

Jeff pointed out to me I forgot one thing. I did remove the masking on the sails windows! Doh!

Thanks Rick. Get building. I want one of these down the road but I'm still trying to get my CR 66 inch Nautilus finished. Great boat you did!

Steve

SteveNeill
SubCommittee Member

Postby SteveNeill » Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:44 pm

Thanks Matt!
SteveNeill
SubCommittee Member

Postby JefftyToo » Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:47 pm

Rick,

Can't razz me about 'er anymore—nyah, nyah! :P

Jeff

P.S. Isn't she gorgeous? Lotsa custom work on this boat, believe me! Contributions by a local jewler (the searchlight cage), Marc d'Antonio (the laser-cut limber holes), etc., plus those sounds, those lights, all Merriman's extras and upgrades, plus my own deadlights and caddy fin light fairings...and more. And Steve's hard labor, of course, brought it all ALIVE. Thanks to all!
Sure writing is easy: just sit staring at a blank page until the drops of blood start forming on your forehead.
JefftyToo
SubCommittee Member

Postby PaulC » Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:54 pm

Bravo, guys -- deadlights and all!!!

And, Steve, you weren't kidding. The HD video is super. Glad you mentioned that.
Warm regards,

Paul Crozier
<><
PaulC
SubCommittee Member

Postby SteveNeill » Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:10 pm

Thanks Paul it's especially nice for the pool trial as you can tell better when it's underwater.

And Kerry here's the picture of the holes. And the unique way Jeff came up with for putting this boat together eliminating the seams running the length of the boat's hull.

Steve

angle and slide...slowly and check

Slide some more and check and pull the battery wires forward.

Be sure not to snag up the control horn to the sail planes Jeff! ;)

Slide and check some more.

Done.

Fits nice.
SteveNeill
SubCommittee Member

Postby JefftyToo » Sun Jul 10, 2011 2:39 am

Guys,

I was definitely remiss in not including Big Dave in that above list of "custom" contributors to Rick's great hull and the project in general. BD's been making terrific drive & dive cylinders for so long that this was easy for me to overlook. But I do believe this particular WTC, extra-long and designed specifically for Seaview with twin motors, was the first of its kind from his shop, making it "custom" work in my book. Many thanks, BD!

Today I picked up my beloved new boat it brought her home with a grin, carrying her across the threshold, as it were, and immediately showing her off to neighbors. Now I'm at work on creating the custom-shaped cavities within her giant military-grade carry case in time for my trip this week. The Saga Continues (for those who are interested)...

More later, with pix,
Jeff
Sure writing is easy: just sit staring at a blank page until the drops of blood start forming on your forehead.
JefftyToo
SubCommittee Member

Postby JefftyToo » Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:45 pm

Hi guys,

I'm long overdue to update this thread for any of you remaining interested….

The main thing to report is that Seaview's big shakedown cruise in Carmel (exactly two weekends before the annual SC Main Event there some of you attended earlier this month) was pretty dismal. Certainly a bust: a terrible starboard list unfixable at the site; insufficient propulsive power to stand up to the fountain-induced Carmel chop; serious hull cracks plus some additional cosmetic damage; outright refusal to dive; accidentally torn-out wiring thanks to my inexperience with the delicate nature of stern-first WTC installation (and a broken-off aft superstructure magnet for the same reason); unexplained rudder slop; bent linkage affecting sail plane performance…and more, actually, all requiring repair and/or replacement, even some redesign. And much of it puzzling too, since we all watched the boat performing so well in Steve's pool video posted earlier in this thread.

Part of this overall failure was simply the discovery that the giant military-grade carry case I'd acquired to transport the boat by air turned out not to be impervious to airline mishandling. The first leg of the trip brought a major dent and trashed two of its four latches, and things just got worse from there. For this happy experience I enjoyed the privilege of paying hundreds of extra dollars in mandatory baggage fees—amounting to nothing less than skyway robbery! I mean, at 81 pounds, I certainly expected the case and its contents to incur additional costs…but really! Had I known in advance of this forthcoming fleecing, I wouldn't have brought the boat along in the first place. It was my own fault however—totally—for not making thorough inquiries ahead of time.

Happily, the boat herself was not trashed by said transport, though I did worry about those failed latches ultimately depositing her in pretty pieces all over the cross-country airways. However, I'm convinced the mishandling did indeed contribute to the three hull stress fractures (two being pretty significant cracks) later discovered and now under repair. Regardless, I've really learned the hard way my that my baby is simply too big, heavy and delicate to travel by air. From now on, getting her around will be only via the highways…a difficult lesson, surely, but exactly the sort of information I sought by making this experimental trip in the first place. All good data—just heartbreaking, back-to-the-drawing-board data, that's all.

Though admittedly a very poor showing overall, this shakedown trip was not a total loss. Far and away the highlight of my time at Carmel was simply meeting up with Kerry Addington and Pete Piekarski. Addington was successfully surface-testing and trimming his giant 80" four-window Seaview, while from what I could see, Pete brought along his entire fleet, all looking gorgeous and running flawlessly…while I watched with great frustration from the sidelines, trying to cater to a cantankerous and uncooperative new boat. Ah well, as they say, if it were easy, everyone would be into this hobby, right?

So now work begins on a major Seaview refit, with my new goal being to have her repaired, re-trimmed and running again in time for Shakedown Cruise No. 2 at the annual SanFran Fall Fun Run (October 1-2). There's so much to redo and retest, however, I've no guarantee I'll make it. But I'll post some photos of my efforts along the way, starting with these few below. Enjoy.

Here's the big case, all boat-packed before the trip.

Here's my uncooperative new boat, pouting at pondside. We didn't speak for days after this "coming out" party fiasco.

Kerry and Pete with me in Carmel, two weekends before the Regatta.

Kerry trims his big Seaview. Gorgeous.

Back home again, on the worktable as the Refit begins. Note cracks visible in the shot immediately below and the final two photos.

More later,
Jeff
Last edited by JefftyToo on Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:55 pm, edited 5 times in total.
JefftyToo
SubCommittee Member

Postby Pirate » Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:21 pm

Some more pictures of Porteous Seaview in Carmel. The Captain.

HOLD FAST
Pirate
SubCommittee Member

Postby JefftyToo » Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:35 am

Thanks, Pete! The hat helps me do my best Jeff LaRue impression!

Back at Seaview all day yesterday. Problems continue: split hull repairs not going well, a lighting short, more cosmetic damage as I work to make the WTC easier and safer to install and remove. Will definitely be switching to cable linkage instead of a metal rod to control the sail planes; the mount for the tube to support the rod simply descended too far down into the hull for the WTC to slip past without "issues." Overall, the repair list is now getting longer instead of shorter, but I'm sticking with it. A few pics:

Reshaping the stern for a better fit.

More filler/paint/primer cracking requiring repair.

Some success: worked long and hard to achieve a better fit for the keel-mounted access panel for the Observation Room. Almost there: some filler and touch-up painting still to go.

More next week,
Jeff
JefftyToo
SubCommittee Member

PreviousNext

Return to SubRon5