Banner Ad 1

Where to start?

R/C Submarine modelers

Where to start?

Postby tbone » Sat Aug 13, 2011 10:49 am

Newbie here wondering what a good starting point would be. Don't know much about the rc sub world yet.

Tbone
tbone

Re: Where to start?

Postby Sub culture » Sat Aug 13, 2011 12:04 pm

See if there is a some like minded modellers local to you and go along to a meeting. That way you get to see some boats in action, and get a feel for the kind of boat you might like to choose (which is highly subjective).
'Why are you staring at an empty pond?'

Want to dive your boat in crystal clear water? Then you had better Dive-in- http://www.diveintomodelsubmarines.co.uk
Sub culture
SubCommittee Member

Postby salmon » Sat Aug 13, 2011 12:11 pm

First, WELCOME!
I am new myself, not to R/C or modeling, but to Submarine R/C. You and I are, at this moment, on a similar path. I would recommend becoming a member if you want to support this part of the R/C world. We have a bunch of great guys here that really know their stuff and willing to help. Ask questions and someone will respond and help.

Second, What are you interested in?
There are subs from the 1800's to Fantasy subs, from small scale to massive size. I am leaning to something in-between. If you have no modeling experience, I would recommend RTR (Ready to Run), already assembled and a few minor adjustments and charging you are off to the pool or pond. Then there are subs that get increasingly more difficult to scratch building one. I guess it is only limited by your wallet.

Third, Read through the posts here and other boards.
You probably have started that since you are here. I have spent probably 80 hours so far reading and asking questions.

Fourth, Depending on where you live, find members in your area and go meet them. See the sub in action.

So, I shared thoughts, What questions do you have?

Again Welcome!
If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.
salmon
SubCommittee Member

Postby SubICman » Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:37 pm

Where to start? That was a question I pondered for too long, and I finally made the leap by buying an almost ready to run model and started tinkering. That doesn't mean that's what you need to do, but it is one possible avenue. There are alot of knowledgable people on this forum that can guide you down the path. Some guidlines to help you out.

1. Depending on your location, (I will assume USA) you need a suitable radio set and it cannot be 2.4 ghz. You need a 75 mhz set with at least 4 channels, 6 is better, and 8 is great.

2. You need a model. There are some great ones out there. Precision Patterns produces a nice 594 class Fast boat for just under 300 dollars. Matt over there is a gifted model kit builder. I personnally have one of his Older 637 Fast boat kits, and a rare Thor 688 Fast boat kit which I am going to start this week. If nukes are not your taste, you can convert a revel gato or type VII uboat, although revell has discontinued these models and the price is going up. usually about 150 dollars. OTW makes gorgeous models, but the price is alot higher than other venders. Submarineworks makes an excellent Ohio class Trident boat, or even the SSGN conversion of it, and he has the only 1/96 Virginia class model (albeit it is the pre-PSA non mip boat still an excellent model) Pete over there can help you there.

3. You need to buy or build a wtc for your electronics. Need a brushed motor, an ESC, and some micro or mini size servo's.

4. You need to decide on a ballast system. You have Dynamic diving, where the boat is positively bouyant and you use speed to dive the boat, or static diving where you can submerge without speed. There are several types of these static systems. RCABs (recirculating air ballast), RCABS-R (a different form of RCABS), Propel Backup (Floodable ballast with propel gas blow), LP Blow (SNORT on some other forums, but thats the funky British way to say it (hope I don't offend) :) ) where you use an air pump to draw in outside air to evacuate the flooded ballast, and there are other methods out there that get more elaborate.

5. You need to ask questions if you get stuck. There is no such thing as a stupid question, wait yes there is, the question not asked is the stupid question. Tap the resources on this and other forums.

6. you need to get it wet, and don't be afraid to chase your model into the water. I have dove in after mine on more than one occasion.

7. Don't let the petty bickering get to you, don't listen to it. it is on all the forums, I ignore it and talk to the experts and learn what I can. Been in this for three years now and I love the hobby, and the friends I have made while doing it.

If you do American Nuke boats, I have served on them for over 20 years, still am. I will let you know whatever you want to if it isn't classified.
When surfaced, the bridge access hatch can be optionally open or shut, however, when submerged it is required to be shut. (Really a no s***t precaution from a procedure in use in the sub fleet today.)
SC #3116
SubICman
SubCommittee Member

Postby modelnut » Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:11 pm

I was just putzing on Bing a few minutes ago and found this: This is a really brief introduction to the world of RC Submarines. Quite a few answers in there.

- Leelan
modelnut
SubCommittee Member

Postby JWLaRue » Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:07 pm

Leelan (and others),

...you can find the original of that r/c sub FAQ here on the SubCommittee website:

http://www.subcommittee.com/SubComm/forms/SCBrochure.pdf

It's a PDF that you can print. We use it as handouts at a lot of the Local Chapter fun runs to help introduce folks to the hobby.

-Jeff
Rohr 1.....Los!
JWLaRue
SubCommittee Member

Postby modelnut » Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:06 am

Just found this: an online video. I wish there were more. Guess I may have to buy DM's DVD's . . .

- Leelan
modelnut
SubCommittee Member

Postby Sub culture » Tue Aug 23, 2011 4:38 pm

David has a lot of videos up on Youtube- http://www.youtube.com/user/caswellsubs
'Why are you staring at an empty pond?'

Want to dive your boat in crystal clear water? Then you had better Dive-in- http://www.diveintomodelsubmarines.co.uk
Sub culture
SubCommittee Member

Return to R/C Modeler