Banner Ad 1

Best Nautilus?

Nautilus, Seaview, and more

Best Nautilus?

Postby brucethebrush » Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:55 am

I'm saving up my pennies and plan to buy a 31" Disney Nautilus. I'd like opinions on who you believe has the best, most detailed, most accurate kit for static display. Also price is a concideration. Total Immersion, Custom Replicas, Nautilus Drydock, etc.? There's also a Godesslakes guy on ebay selling build-ups of, I believe, Brodeen's Nautilus but has kits too. Thanks in advance for any help.
Bruce
brucethebrush

Re: Best Nautilus?

Postby Bob the Builder » Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:36 pm

Okay, so I actually run the Drydocks, so take this with a grain of salt if you'd like:

The Custom Replicas boat is the same one as Scott's boat, which is the same one that i sell. Scott and Jim use me to market almost all of their Nautilus products. So... If you're after a 31" boat, you've got me, Lee with TI, or a Brodeen buildup from the gentleman on eBay.

Lee's boat is basically an unauthorized modified recast of Scott's boat, but even if that doesn't concern you, the quality and delivery times should. I've built about four of Lee's boats now, and dozens of Scott's. There is no comparison. The resin in the TI boat is soft and mushy, the detail parts are resin and not metal, and there will be voids and bubbles in the castings. You've been warned. Don't get me wrong, Lee is a great guy, but cool hull details aside, there is no comparison.

So, as to the buildups by the gentleman on eBay, you get what you pay for. I've had two of his customers get with me after their purchase to get the Brodeen kits. Without getting into it too far, let's just say that there is a reason that he doesn't take a decent photo for his listings...

So, there you go. I spin in the Nautilus circles, so I like to think I know what Im talking about, but by all means do your own research and don't take what I say as gospel truth. There are others that will back me up on this. I do have a ton of photos showing quality differences and such if you need more convincing. I'm always around if you'd like to chat, too!

Bob
Bob Martin,
RCSub homepage: http://www.rc-sub.com
Bob the Builder
SubCommittee Member

Postby brucethebrush » Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:58 am

Hiya Bob,
Thank you for the great response and info. I've been searching and researching for a long time now and have pretty much come to your conclusion. I've visited your drydock many times just to drool. Beautiful work. And I love all the in-progress pics. I figure this will probably be the last model kit I'll be purchasing. I've been building figure kits for people for about the past 16 years and have nothing of my own in the house. Cobbler's shoes, ya know. I'm also a model kit builder and designer. I designed the Seaview for Mobius. I tried to talk them into doing a Nautilus kit some time ago. I even started on a parts layout and exploded view. If you want a fun read, check out oldmodelkits.com under " the gifted life of a model kit designer". It's been a fun ride so far.
Hmm, maybe if I sell the car and get a bike....
Bruce
brucethebrush

Postby greenman407 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:59 pm

Bruce, in addition to what bob is saying, contact Al Nuci by PM. He has one of Bobs 66" Nautilus in running condition. Even though its much bigger than the one that you want, he can tell you of the quality of the companys reproductions. Who knows, after talking to Al maybe youll want a 66"!
There are OLD pilots and there are BOLD pilots but there are very few OLD BOLD pilots. MAG
greenman407

Postby brucethebrush » Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:59 am

Hey thanks Greenman,
I will contact Al for information. Would love to get a 66"er but that would mean building an addition onto my mobile home. Have just so much room, ya know.
Since I seem to have the attention of some folks in-the-know, what color is the Nauitlus? One guy who's selling build-ups states that he can paint her either grey or rust-brown. I figure she's only one color. On my TV she looks grey with a touch of brown. Would prefer FS equivalants (sp) if possible. Just trying to get my aquatic fowl all lined up.
Thanks again.
Bruce
brucethebrush

Postby brucethebrush » Sun Feb 06, 2011 8:27 am

Well, godesslaksmi (the guy selling the Nautilus build-ups on evilbay) has done it again. He has an interior kit that was selling for $50, now is $175. Guess I shouldn't have waited. He must have the same marketing strategy as our Mediacom cable provider, they started losing customers to satellite so they raised their rates. Duh! But he's the only game in town. Hope Bob or Scott or someone does their own interior kit and puts this guy out of business. But then again, with all the info included with Drydocks', I suppose I can just scratch an interior. Maybe cast it up and sell my own.
Thanks, I feel better now.
Bruce
brucethebrush

Postby brucethebrush » Sat Mar 19, 2011 6:35 pm

Hey Bob,
Just wanted to say what a beautiful waterline Nautilus you have on evilbay. Looks so real. Great job. Any chance one of your 31" kits could show up in an auction someday? Just found out the Easter bunny is real so I figured anything could happen. I also just got a couple really big figure projects to build up for a friend so a Nautilus may be in my forseeable future. Keep up the great work.
Bruce
brucethebrush

Postby Bob the Builder » Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:55 pm

Hey, Bruce,

While eBay is a great way to advertise, it's definitely not the best way to actually sell product. No one on there is willing to pay retail prices for quality product.

I put things up there from time to time, but for the most part have rotten luck.

I'm always around if someone wants a model. They'll just have to wait and be willing to pay what its worth!

Oh, and you didn't miss anything with the salon kits on eBay. You could do better yourself with a few hours and $5 worth of clay...
Bob Martin,
Bob the Builder
SubCommittee Member

Postby brucethebrush » Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:24 am

Hiya Bob,
Good points all. You get what you pay for and your Nautilus is the best on the market. Plus integrity is hard to come by nowadays. I will definately be in touch.
Bruce
brucethebrush

Postby Jure George » Sun Mar 27, 2011 4:07 pm

Hello Al

This might have been asked and answered before BUT I did not see posted.

Is it possible that someone could post vendor links here so that we could check out each vendor`s nautilus and it`s prices? I too am researching a nautilus for future purchase with the plan of making it a r.c version with a homemade WTC BUT I can`t physically carry a large 66" so it would have to be smaller But still have excellent detail and material quality.

I thank You in advance for your reply information.

George Tonkovic
Geroge Tonkovic
Jure George

Postby Bob the Builder » Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:23 am

Bob Martin,
Bob the Builder
SubCommittee Member

Postby modeleer » Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:04 pm

brucethebrush wrote:I'd like opinions on who you believe has the best, most detailed, most accurate kit for static display. Total Immersion, Custom Replicas, Nautilus Drydock, etc.?

I was told I about this "Best Nautilus" (search) post & it was suggested to me that I reply-post another-prospective Opinion, regarding "the best, most detailed, most accurate"...

Greetings Bruce & George! ...& all reading,
While not as popular & relatively new / launched just 3 yrs. ago,
the Vulcania Volunteers - Are the "ect. ?"/ other Nautilus model-makers. - http://www.vulcaniavolunteers.com/
Re: My opinion (about making the Best?) ...to build the "best" requires using the Best plans & without question - we have them! The McCamant 200' - http://www.vulcaniavolunteers.com/POPUP%20NP1OF5.swf

And to clarify, you did ask who 'has' the best models & I'm sure you meant 'who' makes Nautilus models
that are currently 'Available', & currently available now is them - nice models all / & even better when Bob Martin builds them! (hi Bob!)

...then again, in my 'Opinion', & one shared by many Nautilus collectors & modelbuilders Worldwide,
the "best" Nautilus model(s), like the one you were asking about back in Nov. 2010,
also happen to be currently in the works...

Static & RC Nautilus models in: 1/100th - 1/72nd - 1/48th - 1/35th - & 1/6th waterline (ltd. ed. of 6)

Attn: The V. V. VVebsite(s) are scheduled for a (long overdue) Refit starting in mid. Aug./Sept.
- seatrials & re-launch by the Fall/Winter of 2011

BTW: Nice Seaview, Bruce!
Last edited by modeleer on Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
modeleer

Postby brucethebrush » Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:17 am

Hiya Modeleer,
Thank you for the kind words on the Seaview (quite a story, for another time) and the heads-up for VulcanianVolunteers. I am still saving my pennies and selling a bunch of my stash over at theclubhouse1.com. Also offering my services as a figure painter to sweeten the deal. Would much appreciate it if you hear of one for sale. I've checked out your site. Came across a post about the skiff and was totally blown away. Had some difficulty navigating to other areas, though. Is it up and running? Keep up the great work. We WILL be talking more.
Bruce
brucethebrush

Postby modeleer » Fri Aug 19, 2011 2:47 pm

Thanx Bruce!
Re: Recognition & Compliments of each others work:
Ye old saying still rings true - It takes one to Know one!

The VVeb-page - Vulcania Volunteers - & the VVeb-site - ' Nautilus Symposium ',
while pretty to look at, were subject to our inability to be both - outstanding artisans & skilled webdesigners.
As I mentioned:
"The V. V. VVebsite(s) are scheduled for a (long overdue) Refit in mid. Aug./Sept.
- seatrials & re-launch, by Fall/Winter of 2011" (fingers crossed)

The New VVeb- page & site will be retitled -
Vulcania Volunteers Nautilus Works & Vulcania Volunteers Nautilus Symposium,
& they will (should ) be much easier to actually Find, navigate & read -
when looking for unsurpassed Goff / Nautilus Art, Plans, Props & Models.
modeleer

Postby brucethebrush » Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:07 am

Let me know when you're up and running. Want to be the first one in. After getting a Nautilus it'll give me time to fall back, regroup and check the couch for change. Do you happen to know of a source for 1/72 Nautilus crew? Did I hear a rumor they might be found on your site? I won't bother you anymore. Now, back to work getting that site ready for its' shakedown, eh.
brucethebrush

Next

Return to Television and Movie Submarines