Banner Ad 1

Thunder Tiger Neptune question..

Place for general submarine conversation

Thunder Tiger Neptune question..

Postby U-33 » Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:55 am

Question for all you TT Neptune owners out there...

Just wondering if anybody has tried using a Neptune without the front dive planes operating? Mine seems to be very prone to porpoising sometimes, and I wonder if removing the front planes and (maybe) installing an auto leveller on the rear planes may cure the problem?

This is my Neptune with modified deck and flashing UltraBrite HiViz LED's.

Rich

(I forgot to add that the thinking behind this is that boats like the Seehund and the Biber don't use foreplanes, and the model ones I've seen operating seem to perform extremely well without them)
Secretary/Webmaster: The Association of Model Submariners

http://www.theassociationofmodelsubmariners.com
U-33

Re: Thunder Tiger Neptune question..

Postby Sub culture » Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:17 am

Have you tried hooking a leveller up to it as standard?

The other thing you could try, would be to decouple the forward planes and control them manually with a separate servo. You have a pair of glanded shaft seals on the underside of the Neptunes module, one of them is for switching the boat on and off. Get shot of that, spin the front bulkhead around 180 degrees, now you can use that gland for an additional servo for the front planes. The rear planes can be controlled with a leveller.
'Why are you staring at an empty pond?'

Want to dive your boat in crystal clear water? Then you had better Dive-in- http://www.diveintomodelsubmarines.co.uk
Sub culture
SubCommittee Member

Postby Bigdave » Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:18 am

You are the first person I have heard that even uses a pitch controller in the Neptune.
In stock form they are so slow you would not even need one as the planes and pretty much redundent at that speed.
Now if you are using an upgraded prop I would disconnect the front planes and just run on the rear.
But I would still not use any pitch control. I don't think it needs it. But that is just me.
It is one of those boats where the ballast system controlls the depth more than the planes do.
My Disney Nautilus is like that. The working planes I have on mine are just for show. The ballast does all the work. BD.
David Welch
Commodore SR-8

"Eat your pudding Mr Land". "I ain't sure it's puddin" James Mason-Kirk
Douglas, 20K
Bigdave
SubCommittee Member

Postby U-33 » Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:44 am

Thanks fellas, most interesting...

I've disconnected the front planes and I'll give it a try this afternoon just running on the rear ones. I haven't got a leveller installed yet, BD...and after reading your reply maybe I'll not bother with one.

Mine is quite lively on the stock propellor, it's no speed machine, but it's not what I'd call slow. I can't seem to locate the upgraded five blade prop over here in the UK...it's listed in the parts list that comes with the boat, but they don't seem to sell them here.

Thanks for the replies chaps...most kind.

Rich

U-33

Postby Bigdave » Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:04 am

Hi Rich,
That is the first time I have heard lively and Neptune uttered in the same breath. :roll: :lol:
There is a modification done to a Raboesch prop the guys are doing over here which really wakes the sub up speed wise.
My friend and the SC membership chair DonO is writing an article about the mods he has done to the Neptune.
I will get the part number of the prop and send the info to you. BD.
David Welch
Commodore SR-8

Douglas, 20K
Bigdave
SubCommittee Member

Postby Larry Kuntz » Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:15 am

Most of us in SubRon8 with Neptunes are using a prop with a little more pitch and diameter. We got these through Don Spielberger at Loyalhanna Dockyard. It does require a little machining as it comes as a threaded prop and the Neptune has a flat on the shaft and a setscrew. The cone on the prop also has to be shortened to clear the cross shaft for the rear planes. With the added speed the front planes have more control. I use a little down adjustment on them as it tends to nose up as more speed is applied. Let us know how you do on yours.
Larry Kuntz
SubRon8
ImageImage
Larry Kuntz
SubCommittee Member

Postby Sub culture » Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:52 am

As the prop is shrouded, I would get a nice kort nozzle prop from Simon at Prop Shop. Plenty of pitch to give it a bit more oomph (technical term).

A chap who come along to the St Albans Dive-in's has a Neptune equipped with the upgraded prop- still a bit sluggish.
'Why are you staring at an empty pond?'

Want to dive your boat in crystal clear water? Then you had better Dive-in- http://www.diveintomodelsubmarines.co.uk
Sub culture
SubCommittee Member

Postby Bigdave » Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:51 pm

The ungrade prop the Thunder Tiger sells is better but still not as good as the modified Raboesch.
We checked it out at the regatta last week. BD.
David Welch
Commodore SR-8

Douglas, 20K
Bigdave
SubCommittee Member

Postby U-33 » Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:17 am

Thanks for the replies, gentlemen...very much appreciated.

I took the Neptune out again yesterday, minus the front planes...to be perfectly honest, I didn't notice a lot of difference in the way she behaved. Maybe a touch less sensitive once submerged, but nothing really noticeable.

The next modification is to remove the 2.2amp/hour gel cell battery and swap it for an 11.1v 5000a/h lipo pack. John Robinson(our tame electronic guru and builder of the famous 12' Gato)is making me up a small electronic gizmo which will monitor the cell pack and start a flashing HiViz Blue LED when the cell pack drops to the danger levels, and will also kick in the ballast pump to empty the ballast bag if I'm submerged at the time.

Don't ask me how it will work, I haven't a clue about these things...I just plug it in and use it.

Dave...you have a message.

Rich

U-33

Return to General