Banner Ad 1

Engel VII-C

This is the place to post your submarine build- ups.

Engel VII-C

Postby Dimebug » Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:43 am

Hello,

I've noticed the lack of data about this kit, so i'm posting some picture of mine. This one is navigating since 3 years. I'm still fine tuning it.
I will first post pictures, then i will comment them and complete data, modifications ect...

Click on the picture to get a bigger image.

Feature added :
Pitch controller : useless, the control surface are scale, and not very efficient exept going "too" fast, i will remove it and put it in my next sub if needed

Engine mix : from the radio emmitter, i can activate a mix that reverse one engine when turning. At surface this divide the turn radius by 3. Underwater it as some unwished secondary effects on the pitch movement of the submarine that's why it's interesting to be able to disengage it.

Working on : a new mix that add some water in the front ballast to limit the sub volontee to raise the bow due to the drag factor of the deck structures + off axis propeller and unefficient front control surface.

The building

This kit is really expensive, but the result is here, you can have a nice and perfectly working submarine. I bought this kit because i wanted a real scale model, in his real lignes when surfaced. I didn't have much time and a kit seems the good way to go. The building of the kit is rated difficult by Engel, i would say that exept some choices that will lead you to problems (see modifications), the kit isn't so hard to build, it's just takes a lot's of time (at least for me). If the rack stuff can be done in few hours, drilling the holes off the deck is another story. With the right tools, it's not difficult, but this is really boring especially when the fiberglass thickness is quite strong. Some parts needs to be readjusted, drilled ect.. but, it's not a kit for beginner, don't expect a lego work here, you will have to check that everything fits well several times before glue them. Whatever the step, quality is here, some parts are really amazing.

Modification to the original kit:
Radio implementation totally modified. The default radio implementation place the reciever at the bow when most of the things to control are placed close the the stern. The result is the use of a very long lenght of wire, catching all distrubances around. This cause multiple radio top... I've moved the reciver in the middle of the boat, and miracle, no more radio top, absolute radio signal stability and relability.
The kit use the BEC from the 2 speed controllers. First, never use 2 becs togheter, use just one, second, a bec from a speed controller is useally not very powerfull. This was causing reset of the receiver... so i've added my own reception battery just under the 2 control servos.

Locking system simplified
the kit is supposed to use a double lock system, but due to the twist elasticity of the rack, the front locking system can stay stuck in locked position... i've simply removed the front pins to avoid this issue. The rear lock is far enough, sometimes the sub is a pain to open just using this lock, this thing is seriously waterproof (tested at 5 meters).

the finished model:

Diving :
the diving system use 2 ballast of 750 ml, you can control precisely 20% of the end of range of the 2 piston tanks. The engel system is really reliable and precise. The ballast control system also include a fail safe and a tension safety(if battery are to low, the sub will not dive). For those who are looking for a simple and reliable way to go, it can be a good choice.

While painting :
I was thinking that it will took weeks to paint this thing, i was wrong all the paint stuff as been done in few hours with an airbrush.

while building
Dimebug

Re: Engel VII-C

Postby murraymcdonald » Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:36 pm

Very nice submarine. :D After looking at your piciures, I'm fighting back the erg to buy one. :roll:

Cheers!
Murray
We have to believe in free will. We've got no choice.
murraymcdonald
SubCommittee Member

Postby Dimebug » Thu Dec 30, 2010 4:43 pm

that's a nice toy for sure, but also remember that you need to stock it and transport it, it's a big boy.
Dimebug

Postby leggolon » Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:06 am

Nice job! I'm in the process of building the VII/c also. I just about finished the Tech Rack. You are right it is a builders kit and if you plan on doing one, have some experience under your belt. I will be sorting bout the wiring scheme now, I may be asking you for some advice as I go along. What transmitter are you using? I am using the Robbe (Futaba) F14. Hope to hear from you. Any other tips or suggestions will be very welcome.

Thanks,
Larry G.
leggolon

Postby Dimebug » Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:46 am

Hello,

i use the recommended shultz receiver (shultz makes great stuff at decent price). For the transmitter i first started to use my old Royal EVO multiplex then, siwtched for a Futaba FX 30 (i also practice RC helo and planes..).

For the wiring, the cable provided with the kit where not as good as the others components. Mine where using steel instead of cooper wires, it make them much more fragile, especially those who are soldered on the battery.

I've just bought the pressure sensor for the VIIc so i will take pictures when i will work on it.

I've used and external radio battery to provide power to servos and receiver. I've placed this battery under the 2 servo section of the rack. You can also win some space using a good Ubec system. I did this because the Bec from controller is really poor reliability, and if you use the recommanded controller, you can have a receiver reset (due to a lack of bec power), the engine will not react anymore until you restart the on board radio. In the middle of a lake, this can be a problem.

I've moved the reciever in the same compartiment than the rear ballast motor.
Dimebug

Re: Engel VII-C, o rings

Postby leggolon » Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:17 am

Hello out there

Need some help. In the process of trying to fit the WTC on to the Tech Rack of the Engle VII/c. The WTC will not go completely over the O ring on either side of the WTC. It is extremely tight to the point were I'm affraid that I may break somthing. I've put vaseline on the o rings but still no luck....Any ideas out there or some tips on what to do! Will appreciate any feedback. The Tech Rack is built, in alignment.

Thanks, Larry G.
leggolon

Return to Builder Threads