Banner Ad 1

Opinions- Engel Type VII

R/C Submarine modelers

Opinions- Engel Type VII

Postby GRR » Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:30 am

Does anyone have any first-hand experience (positive or negative) with Engel's Type VII? Although its been out for a while, postings or reviews with detailed information are rare. I located two short threads on the message board here, but they are pretty old and have been inactive for quite a while. I'm mainly interested in the equipment installation, as one of the threads indicated that it was difficult to find equipment that would fit in the "tech-rack". I'm also interested in hearing if the length of the tech-rack that slides into the bow section makes the completed model overly difficult or cumbersome to handle. Thanks in advance for any information.
Glenn
GRR

Re: Opinions- Engel Type VII

Postby Wheelerdealer » Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:16 pm

I guess it the cost that contributes to this boats relative rarity and the the fact that were lots of other Type VII models available. Anyway, there a build thread going on here http://www.modelbouwforum.nl/forums/dui ... vii-c.html
Ramesh
www.rcmodelsubmarines.co.uk
----------------------------------------------------
Whaddya mean, I need a license to do that?!
Wheelerdealer
SubCommittee Member

Postby GRR » Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:03 pm

Ramesh- Thanks for posting that link, the build thread was informative/useful.
GRR

Postby bos10 » Sat Oct 09, 2010 10:03 pm

I have one about 1/3 finished. All of the slots are done, but been busy with work and kids and haven't done much in a year. If you still have questions ket me know
bos10

Postby Dimebug » Wed Dec 29, 2010 7:17 am

Hello, I've built one. The boat made is first dives 2 years ago. It's a good kit, but you will have to do some minor modifications to make it more reliable from the radio aspect. Some part also need some serious works to perform like they should. If you want pictures or have any questions...

It's a stunning looking model. I had a build thread on a french website but most of the pictures have been cancelled

Dimebug

Postby leggolon » Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:53 am

Hello,
In the build process of the Engle VII/c. I am having a verry difficult time fitting thr WTC over the O rings. I've used vaseline on the O rings but it is still very difficult to the point were the WTC will not go over the O rings. The Tech Rack is in alignment. Any suggestions?

Thanks, Larry G.
leggolon

Postby Dimebug » Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:42 am

Don't use vaseline, it kills rubber. use adapted Silicon Grease instead.

You're having difficultys with the front double ring end or with the ones on the tech rack+ rear of the boat ?

Be sure that you've brake the straight angle of the tube inner sharp edge.
That the rib hole is large enought for the tube to absorb the little change of tube diameter when o-ring put some presure on the tube.

What i use to do is :
1) put some teflon (kind of) oil in the tube to help the tech rack to slide in, this way i try to limit the friction (helpfull for locking/unlocking).
2) i open the pressure flexible tube
3) i push the tech rack in, then twist to lock it
3) i close the pressure flexible tube and we're almost ready to go.

The main issue with the finished kit is that sometime, it's a real pain to open the sub. The material react a lot to water temperature and tend to constraint a lot the assembly.
Dimebug

Postby Sub culture » Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:15 pm

Vaseline is fine on nitrile (NBR) o-rings, used it for years without problems. Nitrile is designed to be resistant to petroleum based greases and oils. It shouldn't be used on silicone o-rings or neoprene, but o-rings supplied on most sub kits are nitrile anyway. Silicone grease is fine to use on any o-ring except, ironically, silicone o-rings.

The most neutral lubricant for all o-rings is vegetable oil.
'Why are you staring at an empty pond?'

Want to dive your boat in crystal clear water? Then you had better Dive-in- http://www.diveintomodelsubmarines.co.uk
Sub culture
SubCommittee Member

Return to R/C Modeler