Banner Ad 1

What if your subs are neither RC nor static?

Place for general submarine conversation

What if your subs are neither RC nor static?

Postby balsaboatmodels » Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:28 am

Hey Y'all;

Okay, so what does it count as if your subs aren't static and they do go, but they are not RC either?

"Huh, what kind would that be?" You ask.

Answer, http://s196.photobucket.com/albums/aa30 ... /Poolsubs/
balsaboatmodels

Re: What if your subs are neither RC nor static?

Postby JWLaRue » Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:04 am

....very nice! Untethered sub modeling is something we don't see very much these days. Tell us more!

-Jeff
Rohr 1.....Los!
JWLaRue
SubCommittee Member

Postby balsaboatmodels » Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:49 am

Well, gee, I dunno, such a stress and burden to have to show off and talk about myself :wink: :roll:

Boats are dynamic diving and ballasted to default to surface. 2 foot boat has been as far as 7ft down. Can likely do better in a bigger pool.

Way back in the 1970s grade school days parents got my brother and I a ships book which had a series of simple projects in the back culminating in a very simple balsa wood submarine about 2 feet long. Only took 31 years to get around to building it. Or, more accurately, building something based on it. Used ideas picked from subs all through history and around the planet adjusted to fit model's balsa slab construction. And to quote a quote, "And I made a few modifications myself."

Of course model/toy in book was non-scale: just because I had a bunch of 1/72 figures left from the wargaming days it got called 1/72 scale. Tiny little 144ft boat, then. Called it PRS-1, which in no way resembles any real-world USN designations, but then my little sub lives it its own universe anyway. PRS is for "Pool Recreation Submarine" or "Powered by Rubberband Submarine"

Since then have built a couple more similar for other people and now building a 3ft twin screw job for me. Hadn't before put the drawings for this twin-screw rubberband powered sub together before and didn't quite realize the size of what I'd created.
Will be fictional cargo transport with hull shape sub based on USSR Typhoon boomers and current Northrop Grumman research model. Supposedly my model uses cylindrical containers faired in to hull sides.
Think it's gonna be called 1/144 scale which will make people 1/2 the size of the 1/72 blue plastic Navy guys; but then y'all will already know that scale relationship. Might even call it N Scale since there are more people and stuff for model RRs than model airliners.

Drawings aren't finished, need to add fairing between aft cones.
Hull will be free-flooding with a number of holes along sides and over rubber motor pegs.
Going to be "pseudo-fiberglassed" with shellac and Silkspan plane tissue.
And need to do something to "armour" the bow against pool wall strikes because even that little single-screw 2 footer can tag the far wall while still 5ft under on a good wind.
A good wind will have enough torque to list that boat by around 10 degrees while you hold the prop before letting it go.

If I can pull off scratching kort nozzles for the 3ft beast even I won't be able to tolerate my ego for about a month. :lol:
Although on a rubber prop it wiggles enough that there will have to be enough clearance to probably negate the effect.
Props are from Traxxis RC speedboats. Will get pic showing how shaft is made with wire, brass tube, a rubber airplane thrust button and a Losi RC car differential thrust ball bearing. Prop is drilled in end for a small eye screw to pass airplane winder hook through.

Gonna be painted in Chessie System locomotive colors - a reference to Chesapeake & Ohio RR which refers to Chesapeake Bay. I do model trains too.

Oh, on that Photobucket album, haven't figured out how to get PB to put images in order I want them in after they are in there.
Last edited by balsaboatmodels on Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
balsaboatmodels

Postby balsaboatmodels » Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:06 pm

Some more details on the 2 footer.
It has a name, Vaquita Marina. Think the 3 footer is going to be named Ocmulgee after a river near where once lived in Georgia. Forget the tribe but word roughly translates to "bubbling waters". Appropriate for a sub, no?

In variance from plans in book:
Bow and stern planes are brass sheet soldered to rod and tubes passing through tube in hull. Enough friction to maintain setting comes from residue from the annoying as all get out barcode stickers K&S puts on things these days. Stern planes have balsa ACC'd on underside to give inverse airfoil shape. Bow planes are solely the brass as they get dented on pool wall strikes.
Rudders are layer of styrene sheet Acc'd to each side of brass rod with space between filled with baking soda soaked with ACC. Photobucket photos show setting mechanism from airplane parts with details somewhere in notes under photos, I think.

Hull bottom on 2 footer is 1/2 inch thick balsa plank with hollows in underside filled with shot for ballast. Also has keel of brass strip 1/8 thick x 1inch by 12 inches. Is set into slot in bottom plank and held by ACC alone. Bow block was drilled and filled as required. Boat floats with deck awash. Exterior and interior both were sanded then coated with ACC to harden balsa a bit. Pain is spray paint, both auto and hobby.

Handrail stanchions are HO model diesel locomotive railing stanchions. Railing is some kind of wire from Model Shipways. Bell on front of conning tower, sail, or whatever is the right word, is HO diesel locomotive detail. Hatch is bubble eye with HO RR car brakewheel. Ladder rungs up side are mini staples
Scopes are copper tube and bubble as boat dives :) Snorkel is aluminum strut fairing for RC planes.
Motor peg above and behind bow planes is brass rod through brass tube.

Do have an Airtronics 4 channel radio and a Dumas Bluefin(?) , Bluefish(?) kit have been sitting around un-worked on since 2006. Kit requires fiberglassing which I've never done before. In 2009 had gotten some disability settlement money and intended to see if there was a WTC conversion for that boat but then as life does it took a twist and the cash had to go elsewhere.

To some extent, doing RC stresses me and for the moment the free-running models are more relaxing.

Except for final paint just finished a "pond yacht" scow sailboat largely out of cardboard, heavily lacquered and shellacked, with some balsa and hardwood from a mostly balsa boat design in a book "Ten Simple Sailing Models".

Eventually want to build something based on this hull http://www.squadron.com/ItemDetails.asp?item=RG5095

And, there are still drawings from years ago for a 1/72 Jules Verne Nautilus in 1/72. what's funny is using English measurements in the scale appears to make the model right at 1 meter long. Prop set aside for it is Cox 3-blade pusher prop even though book has smaller 4-blade prop. 1970s experiments with plywood and 2x4 showed that large slow-turning props from airplanes do have a certain level of promise.
Last edited by balsaboatmodels on Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
balsaboatmodels

Postby balsaboatmodels » Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:10 pm

Okay, bow and stern plane details of 2 footer http://s196.photobucket.com/albums/aa30 ... 20details/

And, a 28 inch interpretation of a WW2 USN boat built for a friend http://s196.photobucket.com/albums/aa30 ... ys%20Boat/
balsaboatmodels

Postby balsaboatmodels » Tue Aug 09, 2011 3:06 pm

Got video today of 2 footer getting underway, thank you to Parks and Rec employee Paul for assistance.
Only 7 second video, but that's all it took her to "Make depth sixty inches."
Surfaced about 7 feet from far end. Kinda wish Paul had let video go entire run, but looking at almost a minute of empty water would probably have been boring.
Well, maybe not after all to submariners, they kinda have a different benchmark for boring.

"Off we go, into the wild pool yonder" Oh, wait, that's the other guys' song. Eh, whatever.
http://s196.photobucket.com/albums/aa30 ... I_8198.mp4
balsaboatmodels

Postby salmon » Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:28 am

This is a kick - and brings back memories of my grandfather. He would turn a hunk of would and fashion a conning tower onto it. Tap in some nails on the top to represent missile hatches and a slab of lead on the bottom to make it slightly positive buoyancy. I remember spending hours tossing that in the pool and watch it travel into the depths and slowly glide to the surface until the wood soaked up too much water and would not float. A day or two of drying and the cycle was repeated. I think yours would be called R/B subs (RubberBand).
If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.
salmon
SubCommittee Member

Postby balsaboatmodels » Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:05 pm

Here, locomotive and passenger car body will give an idea how big this beastie is supposed to be in real life. Am calling it 1/160 scale, the same as N-scale model trains. Makes a 3 foot model be 480 feet long in real life.
http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa30 ... G_8224.jpg

Led by curiosity, just went and looked up dimensions; this thing comes out about 1 passenger car shorter than real Russian Project 491 "Typhoon" class it is patterned after.

Am still a long way from paint, like in the spring away, and have another color scheme idea: how about white with Pan Am airliner billboard style markings, including windows down the sides :lol: maybe two decks.
I mean, hey, if Pan Am can have a flight to a space station above the earth, why not a "flight" to an ocean floor city below the earth?
True, the airline decals would be 1/144 scale, yeah, so?

That block for sail just got cut to length just a hair shy of halfway up.
balsaboatmodels

Return to General