Banner Ad 1

starting a model submarine?....need help.

Post your favorite modeling 'tips' and 'tricks'

starting a model submarine?....need help.

Postby desertfoxx4 » Tue May 11, 2010 11:20 am

Hi,

I am really considering getting into this hobby and I am not to sure how to really approach it, to buy a plastic model kit and convert it or buy a RC Sub kit and just go out full balls to wall?

Also if I do buy a kit for example should I get a very simple hull (was leaning that way of course), but to get a kit that would also allow my skills to build once I figure out how to install the drive and dive to have room to move onto dive plains etc etc. I am looking at this from my mountain bike coaching back ground (weird I know), when someone asks me what bike they should get I always advise them to get one that is more then what they need (if they really like the sport already) that way they can grow into the bike and not worry about outriding equipment on they have the skills down.

I have never built anything RC before so this is going to be a learning experience that will take me lots of time, but I love to tinker and build things so I know I will love it (I am sure also hate at times).

Thanks!
desertfoxx4

Re: starting a model submarine?....need help.

Postby Myles Yancey » Tue May 11, 2010 2:57 pm

desertfoxx4 wrote:Hi,

I am really considering getting into this hobby and I am not to sure how to really approach it, to buy a plastic model kit and convert it or buy a RC Sub kit and just go out full balls to wall?

Also if I do buy a kit for example should I get a very simple hull (was leaning that way of course), but to get a kit that would also allow my skills to build once I figure out how to install the drive and dive to have room to move onto dive plains etc etc. I am looking at this from my mountain bike coaching back ground (weird I know), when someone asks me what bike they should get I always advise them to get one that is more then what they need (if they really like the sport already) that way they can grow into the bike and not worry about out riding equipment on they have the skills down.

I have never built anything RC before so this is going to be a learning experience that will take me lots of time, but I love to tinker and build things so I know I will love it (I am sure also hate at times).

Thanks!

Hi

Here is what I suggest you since you have never built anything RC, please consider the answer to your questions I have given.

1) I am really considering getting into this hobby and I am not to sure how to really approach it, to buy a plastic model kit and convert it or buy a RC Sub kit and just go out full balls to wall?

I suggest you ;locate the nearest Sub Ron to you and join them, this will put you in contact with members who will be their to answer any question you mite have, this also put you in contact with members how can help you build your first submarine, these members can also help you understand what you need to learn in order to build RC Submarines.

2) Also if I do buy a kit for example should I get a very simple hull (was leaning that way of course), but to get a kit that would also allow my skills to build once I figure out how to install the drive and dive to have room to move onto dive plains etc etc. I am looking at this from my mountain bike coaching back ground (weird I know), when someone asks me what bike they should get I always advise them to get one that is more then what they need (if they really like the sport already) that way they can grow into the bike and not worry about out riding equipment on they have the skills down.

[color=#0040BF] This is were the members of a Sub Ron would be very helpful to you, this also were the SC can be of help to you, by becoming a member you would have access to the quarterly magazine which has many helpful tips in and among its pages you would also have access to the members only section on the SC web page, which can also be of help to you .

]3) I have never built anything RC before so this is going to be a learning experience that will take me lots of time, but I love to tinker and build things so I know I will love it (I am sure also hate at times.

[color=#0040FF] this is were being a member of a Sub Ron would really be a benefit to you, the members would be their to help you and keep you from becoming discouraged and giving up.
this is also were be a member of the SC would really be of help to you.

Thanks again Myles
If you are not part of the solution to a problem then say nothing at all
Myles Yancey

Postby TMSmalley » Tue May 11, 2010 7:15 pm

A number of years ago, I was right where you are today, and the SubCommittee members helped me get started to a life-long hobby! To add to what president Myles said, give us an idea of where you live and we can hook you up with guys who are close to you that can help you get through the process.
Tim Smalley
TMSmalley
SubCommittee Member

Postby desertfoxx4 » Tue May 11, 2010 8:27 pm

Thanks you guys, I live in Pemberton, British Columbia Canada.

It is a few hours north of Vancouver just outside of Whistler.
desertfoxx4

Postby salmon » Sun Jul 24, 2011 4:57 pm

Anybody live in Las Vegas, Nevada?

@tmsmalley, the suggestion of getting together with other members is a great idea.
I found out that the SubRonSW Cactus Navy is no longer a viable group :( So please anyone with ideas or suggestions please help! I am sure I can slug this out by myself, but pain shared is divided and joy shared is multiplied. Is there anyone starting up a new group for the SW?
If you can cut, drill, saw, hit things and swear a lot, you're well on the way to building a working model sub.
salmon
SubCommittee Member

Postby Sub culture » Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:29 am

Kits that spring to mind for a beginner to the hobby. These will also allow you to progress-

Thunder Tiger Neptune. Ready to run, and complete, but you will need to maintain it. Subs are high maintenance vehicles. Looks a bit toy like, but can soon be altered to look very scale if you have any model making ability.

Caswell 212. A little more work for a beginner, but a very nice boat, and ideal for smaller ponds. Mike can set you up with everything you need, so no guess work.

Engel 212. Same boat, different scale. More money, but this is a lovely boat, and it absolutely flys underwater.

MMB Sub Sonic. This is a very new kit, you will need to add motor batteries etc. However price is very keen.
'Why are you staring at an empty pond?'

Want to dive your boat in crystal clear water? Then you had better Dive-in- http://www.diveintomodelsubmarines.co.uk
Sub culture
SubCommittee Member

Postby JWLaRue » Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:13 am

DF4,

What's the most important aspect of r/c sub modeling that intrigues you right now?

If it's operating one, then something like the Thunder Tiger Neptune is a great example of a ready-to-run r/c sub.

If it's to learn the skills required to build an r/c sub (and then operate it), then something like the Engel U-212 kit would be a good suggestion. It's basically a full kit, minus the radio...comes with excellent instructions, and is of excellent quality.

...my 2.5 cents worth!

Jeff

p.s. And you have certainly come to the best place to ask your question!
Rohr 1.....Los!
JWLaRue
SubCommittee Member

Return to Modeling Tips and Tricks