Banner Ad 1

Final Coat using Krylon #KR1311

This is the place to post your submarine build- ups.

Re: Final Coat using Krylon #KR1311

Postby wlambing » Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:53 pm

Gents,

I've used Model Master and Floquil over Duplicolor Sandable/Fillable automotive primers (gray, red) with great results. The MM and Floquil paints adhere very well, except when your boat spends 6 weeks in a pond. Then, all bets are off!!!! In general, though, even after the lost boat episode the only real damage was from small blisters. The majority of the paint stayed good.

Bill
"If you ignore the problem long enough, it will go away. Even flooding stops eventually!"
wlambing
SubCommittee Member

Postby greenman407 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:41 pm

Wlambing, do you know if the Floquil that you used was the old formula or the newer Acrylic stuff.
There are OLD pilots and there are BOLD pilots but there are very few OLD BOLD pilots. MAG
greenman407

Postby wlambing » Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:48 pm

Greenman,

It was the original formula. I have never had any luck using acrylic paint for anything, including my endeavors in the fine arts world.

B^)
"If you ignore the problem long enough, it will go away. Even flooding stops eventually!"
wlambing
SubCommittee Member

Postby greenman407 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:58 am

Thank You Sir.
There are OLD pilots and there are BOLD pilots but there are very few OLD BOLD pilots. MAG
greenman407

Postby greenman407 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:03 pm

OK, I went by Home Depot and bought a can of Minwax Helmsman Spar Urethane Satin Clear spray paint. What a mouth full. I sprayed it on top of a test sheet already painted with Krylon gloss black and another one of Krylon Banner Red. After 12 hours of drying the results are perfect. No crazing of the paint and the sheen is just perfect, a slight dulling of the shine without going totally flat. The next step will be to dunk it under water first for one hour, then later for 12 more hours and see the results. Ill let you know.
greenman407

Postby petn7 » Sun Jul 17, 2011 7:39 pm

I have never found a perfect, waterproof clearcoat. I really like the enamel based dullcote/flat clearcoat from Testors. However, it takes weeks to fully dry before it will get to a point where it doesn't form permanent white spots when submerged. More recently, I use Top Flite LustreKote Spray Flat Clear. I haven't observed any white spots, but it's not fully waterproof. After running my sub for about 45 minutes, I can see the Future basecoat (that I used for help with decal application) start to absorb water and get somewhat milky. Everything dries out no problem, though and no permanent white spots form.

I think next time I will use an enamel black color coat, then top it with the Top Flite LusterKote and not use Future. Yes, water will get through the LusterKote, but Testors colored enamle paints handle water just fine and both the enamel color coat and LusterKote will dry out no problem.
petn7
SubCommittee Member

Postby petn7 » Sun Jul 17, 2011 7:44 pm

wlambing wrote:Greenman,

It was the original formula. I have never had any luck using acrylic paint for anything, including my endeavors in the fine arts world.

B^)

+1

I can't stand acrylics; they are so temperamental.
petn7
SubCommittee Member

Postby greenman407 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:21 am

Ok, After painting the Minwax clear on top of the Krylon black on one side of this sheet of plastic and Krylon clear over Krylon black on the other side, I immersed it in water for 1 hr. No Ill Effects. Then back into the water for 11 more hours. Still everything looked good. No white spots on the Krylon clear side and no white spots on the Minwax clear side. I think that Im going to use the minwax as the krylon clears finish was not as consistant. It had some areas that were not evenly flat. When I applied the clear coats I put down two good coats.
greenman407

Postby oldmscle » Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:23 pm

I used Testors Dullcoat on my Type VII and after one hour in the water it started developing white spots. Its gotten progressively worse over the last two times out. It's definaterly NOT waterproof. I now have it apart for a complete repaint!
Failure Is Not An Option
oldmscle

Postby greenman407 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:22 am

I feel your pain.
greenman407

Postby petn7 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:41 pm

oldmscle wrote:I used Testors Dullcoat on my Type VII and after one hour in the water it started developing white spots. Its gotten progressively worse over the last two times out. It's definaterly NOT waterproof. I now have it apart for a complete repaint!

I would see white spots if I let it dry a day or two, but a month or two, then no white spots for me.
petn7
SubCommittee Member

Postby greenman407 » Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:13 pm

Al Nuci brought to my attention that the Krylon clear labeled satin just barely removes some of the gloss shine but not very much. Hes right. Its not going to be good enough. I just ordered three spray cans of Floquil Clear flat. They say that its comepletely waterproff. Ill try it. You can order it straight from Testors who owns Floquil. That way you will be assured of fresh paint instead of a spray can that has been sitting around for a couple of years. Google Testors for their phone number
greenman407

Previous

Return to Builder Threads