Banner Ad 1

Final Coat using Krylon #KR1311

This is the place to post your submarine build- ups.

Final Coat using Krylon #KR1311

Postby tomwittstock » Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:55 pm

Question is Krylon KR1311 Clear Matte Finish (Outdoor use) safe to use??

I was going to use this product once I'm finished painting my boat. From what I read it does two things, helps waterproof the surface and also gives the final finsh a matte finish like "Dull Coat" by Testors.

Thanks
Tom (10 footer)
tomwittstock

Re: Final Coat using Krylon #KR1311

Postby Larry Kuntz » Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:13 am

Hi Tom,
I used the Krylon Matte finish (not sure of the number) to over-coat my Dumas Akula as the pool water left white spots on the Krylon ruddy brown primer. The upper is Krylon black satin finish. Now the upper and lower have the same matte to them. I've had no problems since and that's a few years ago.

ImageImage
Larry Kuntz
SubRon8
ImageImage
Larry Kuntz
SubCommittee Member

Postby tomwittstock » Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:59 am

Thanks Larry for your advice..
tomwittstock

Postby Rogue Sub » Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:25 am

It definitely left white spot on my boat when i tried it.
Kevin
A Global Force For Good

http://WWW.ROGUESUBWORKS.COM
Rogue Sub

Postby Bigdave » Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:17 pm

Kevin you are confusing white spots with scale detail!! :roll:
I am sure your boomer had a lot of white spots on the sail and deck when in port. :mrgreen: :roll: :mrgreen: :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol: BD.
David Welch
Commodore SR-8

"Eat your pudding Mr Land". "I ain't sure it's puddin" James Mason-Kirk
Douglas, 20K
Bigdave
SubCommittee Member

Postby Rogue Sub » Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:30 pm

Ugh its just as bad as having a dark car...
Kevin
A Global Force For Good

http://WWW.ROGUESUBWORKS.COM
Rogue Sub

Postby JWLaRue » Thu Jun 23, 2011 5:51 pm

That particular Krylon paint is "moisture resistant".......

I have used it in the past and depending on the total run time, you will get the dreaded "white spot" syndrome. However, they will disappear once the paint has had a chance to dry out.

-Jeff
Rohr 1.....Los!
JWLaRue
SubCommittee Member

Postby greenman407 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:26 pm

1-800 4krylon is no longer working. Rustoleum told me that none of there paints are waterproff either. They suggested that I go to a pool and patio store for a clear that is waterproff. :?: :cry:
There are OLD pilots and there are BOLD pilots but there are very few OLD BOLD pilots. MAG
greenman407

Postby greenman407 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:28 pm

I called "Testors" and they said the same thing. But while I was on the Testors website I noted that they own "Floquil" brand paints. Checking that out it said that all Floquil colors, including Clear are "COMEPLETELY WATERPROOF". So I called technical services back and she is going to forward this concern to the lab and give me an explanation in the next couple of days. Ill post the results then. :)
There are OLD pilots and there are BOLD pilots but there are very few OLD BOLD pilots. MAG
greenman407

Postby greenman407 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:29 am

THIS JUST IN!! Testor factory reps emailed me and said that FLOQUIL clear and all other Floquil products are "Waterproof" and that you could enhance there water repelling characteristics by spraying 2 or 3 coats of the clear on to their colors. I guess that you will have to do your own tests to see if the Floquil clear coats will harm your existing color. One hint that was given was to apply light coats and build up instead of wet heavy coats that will give the solvants more time to cause problems. :D
greenman407

Postby greenman407 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:35 am

Sunday I was in Home Depot and noticed that "MINWAX" sells Gloss, and Satin clear in spray paint form. I called them this morning and found out that Sherwin Williams bought Krylon and Minwax. The rep said that his personal experience was that the clear coatings waterproff very well although they(the company) has done no testing to determine that. Im going to buy a can of the "Spar Urethane" in satin and try it on a test subject. I will then share the results with you. He did say to stay away from the "Laquer" clear because it is definitely not up to the job.
greenman407

Postby tomwittstock » Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:25 pm

Greenman, is it safe to use Dullcote by testors as a waterproofer also? 8)
If dullcote is ok I sure will need a good supply for the 10 footer. I'll need to go to the bank for a small loan also.. :(

Thanks
Tom
tomwittstock

Postby greenman407 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:58 pm

Tom, I dont believe that the dullcoat by Testors is waterproff either. Thats why , first Im going to try the Minwax. If that doesnt work out Im going to then try the Floquil. Keep in mind that the floquil is available in two formulas. they have the original and the newer acrylic. As with anything that you use check compatability first. Do that by first painting a scrap piece of something with your base color. Let it dry a couple of days. Then hit it with what ever clear that you have chosen and see if there is a bad reaction. If not then your good. You can also try to dunk it in the water for a while, say an hour and pull it out and see if you have spots.
greenman407

Postby OldNoob » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:58 pm

Rustolium. Comes off in sheets. Unfortunetly I used it as a base coat. It evidently requires a primer to adhear and even then not under water.
OldNoob

Postby greenman407 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:41 pm

On my Albacore I used Testors Panzer Grey spray paint over her plastic hull and that paint is tenacious.
greenman407

Next

Return to Builder Threads