Banner Ad 1

Jeff Porteous's Repair Yard

Local Chapter covering Texas, Oklahoma, Colorado, Kansas, and Nebraska.

Re: Jeff Porteous's Repair Yard

Postby JWLaRue » Mon Jul 04, 2011 1:09 pm

Since the Seaview project is nearing completion.....perhaps now is the time for me to ask: How about a article for the SCR? (most likely run over a couple of issues) This looks to me to be *the* definitive Seaview build!

-tnx,

Jeff
Rohr 1.....Los!
JWLaRue
SubCommittee Member

Postby JefftyToo » Mon Jul 04, 2011 3:23 pm

Y'know, Jeff, I was afraid you'd say that! :wink:

Actually, I have been thinking about it: perhaps something along the lines of back-to-back pieces—Steve's usual build article (when he gets to it), plus a companion piece of my own efforts, each over two issues. That's four in all; there's a lot of material to cover, even briefly. I don't see it happening till the December issue at soonest though, so that'd be a lot of stuff to keep you going through March. Whatcha think?

Excuse me while I get back to the lengthy Sept. issue book column I should be writing instead of this.
:P
Jeff

P.S. Somewhere in there I'd also have to find time for my usual San Francisco Fun Run event coverage... Whew! Maybe the book column could take an issue or two off?
Sure writing is easy: just sit staring at a blank page until the drops of blood start forming on your forehead.
JefftyToo
SubCommittee Member

Postby SteveNeill » Mon Jul 04, 2011 5:18 pm

You know I'm hoping to rent a motor home. Take the wife and Rosie(our dog) along to SF for the Regatta. I grew up only a few blocks away from that location. It's in October?

Jeff. what ever you want to do. We can do it but not for this issue of course. I'm working around the clock to get this finished for Jeff's trip.

Back to it!

Steve
SteveNeill
SubCommittee Member

Postby JWLaRue » Mon Jul 04, 2011 5:40 pm

Hey, guys.....that was not a request for an immediate article.......I'm not that crazy! December...or possibly even better next March is more than fine!

.....now get back to your Sub Books column. Slacker! :mrgreen:

-Jeff
Rohr 1.....Los!
JWLaRue
SubCommittee Member

Postby SteveNeill » Mon Jul 04, 2011 7:50 pm

40 miles of wiring, lights, sound, running hardware. Closed the WTC that BD made. Everything crammed in front like a sardine can and guess what? IT ALL WORKS.

Next lets trim and run this baby!

Thanks Neil for the help with the sound board today.

Jeff! It works. It's alive, it's alive, ahahahahahahahahahahah!!

Steve
SteveNeill
SubCommittee Member

Postby SteveNeill » Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:40 pm

Here is that picture of an elephant in a glove box. ;) Not pretty but very much functional.

Steve

Hmmm....

As she sits now waiting to be trimmed.
SteveNeill
SubCommittee Member

Postby SteveNeill » Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:36 am

Since this video I have loaded the WTC and stern section without any problems. You have to take it slow and make sure you don't snag the elevator controls or the rudder. Kind of shove a bit look and shove again. It takes about 5 minutes to close but it works very well. Great idea Jeff!

I have since tested everything even the sail planes which are backward to the dive planes. At first I thought, " How do I fix this!." But then knowing the way this model loves to plow bow down this might be just the ticket to keep the nose more level.

This is my 4th build of this model and only one needed the stern deflectors. I didn't activate the sail planes on that one. It will be interesting to find out tomorrow because she finally hits the pool. Everything is ready. Weight standing by. Foam but I don't think I'll need it.

More tomorrow,

Steve
SteveNeill
SubCommittee Member

Postby SteveNeill » Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:09 pm

She works perfectly. No leaks found. Dive nice and level. Didn't have to trim her tail heavy much. Free board is minimal. The higher she sits the more she wants to lean over and the props starve. As with all these boats I had to split the difference.

All systems go. She turns well and the dive controls are smooth. Gluing in the foam and weight I had to add which was very little. Will shoot some video later on.

BD's WTC runs like a top. Good job gentleman!

More later and video,

Steve

SteveNeill
SubCommittee Member

Postby PaulC » Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:11 pm

She sits just right in my opinion. Looks fantastic. Super job all the way around guys. Can we get a shot through the bow windows to see the interior now that it is installed? :^) Steve, you're making this stuff look too easy!!!
Warm regards,

Paul Crozier
<><
PaulC
SubCommittee Member

Postby SteveNeill » Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:52 pm

Thanks Paul but as you well know ...it's not. ;)

Steve
SteveNeill
SubCommittee Member

Postby SteveNeill » Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:04 am

Video

SteveNeill
SubCommittee Member

Postby JefftyToo » Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:09 am

Sorry, Paul, no interior shots as of now—unless you wanna see all our favorite characters treading water. Yup: it leaks. An 8-ft. dive against only a single layer of shrinkwrap obviously ain't gonna cut it. :lol: My O.R. is still a work in progress and I know it. I'm not giving up on the shrinkwrap idea just yet, but I do know I may ultimately be going with the wet approach as others have had to do, which'll involve reworking some things. For now Steve assures me she'll run well with extra foam in the bow to counteract the leak, and that should be good enough for her maiden Voyage in Carmel under my command.

But yeaaaahhhhhhh, she does look good, don't she?

Jeff
Last edited by JefftyToo on Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sure writing is easy: just sit staring at a blank page until the drops of blood start forming on your forehead.
JefftyToo
SubCommittee Member

Postby JefftyToo » Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:21 am

The video just posted as I was writing my above comment...

Bravissimo, Steve! What can I say?!

Hand salute,
Jeff
JefftyToo
SubCommittee Member

Postby BoomerFunker » Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:22 pm

Wow!

Just, I mean, wow!
BoomerFunker
SubCommittee Member

Postby JefftyToo » Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:40 am

Thanks, my brother.

Jeff
JefftyToo
SubCommittee Member

PreviousNext

Return to SubRon5