Super impressive, Steve, as always! My thanks...
I spent time on and off during the last several days taking a lot of early episode Voyage
Observation Room screen captures off the DVDs with my camera for use as reference. Below's a sample... Also spent a lot of time working up an elaborate O.R. sketch with many notes and callouts: my detailed "plan" for this room-building endeavor.
Spent all of Sunday working on said Observation Room too. Mostly I tried to assemble a makeshift girder network, as you'll see below, which will be visible just behind the big bow windows. Here's the "first story" window girders:
Of course, the eight-window early Seaview
version I'm modeling also has a second story, so you'll see from the pics that I've attempted to create that too. Mr. Merriman's upgrade kit, as I've noted earlier, doesn't account for this design at all, so I've pretty much had to take multiple sets of his parts and start from scratch, including using Evergreen styrene I-beams of about the same scale as "risers" to lift those second story girders up to the level of the top row of windows.
This whole thing was intricate, messy, inexact, time-consuming work. Lots of cobbling together parts which were not meant to fit this way, cutting, clipping, filing, forcing, and the requisite buckets of CA. Nothing like making it up as I go! It's not pretty, and it's not truly scale, but it all holds together and the girders near the windows should ultimately be quite visible.
I even got some paint on it by the end of the day...
The saving grace of this particular assembly is that the truly poor quality work will be mostly invisible in the shadows at the back of the room. It'll serve its purpose however, and everything else I'm intending for the O.R.—mostly next weekend's work—should be gravy.
Worked on the spiral staircase a bit too. Here's how it came to me from Mr. Merriman many years ago:
Beautiful, intricate, totally scale, but wrong for this early version. What's wrong is the handrail, which shouldn't be there. So I removed it. And did my best to recreate the spiraling vertical handrail which the DVDs show me should
be there. Here are pics. Got some paint on it too.
Moving ahead now, starting to work on the room's walls. Here's my test attempt at a back wall. The watertight door's in the wrong place, and I obviously need different silver tape to simulate metal, but the walnut shelf paper and ancient graphic artist's tape for the floor molding looks like it'll work just fine (if I can get everything to stick). In front of it lies the floor of the O.R. and the front wall to which the girders connect. That semi-circular notch at the bottom is where the whole assembly will key into the back end of the bow searchlight lens.
More next week. Time's running short!
Sure writing is easy: just sit staring at a blank page until the drops of blood start forming on your forehead.