Banner Ad 1

1/72nd scale alfa class ssn

This is the place to post your submarine build- ups.

Re: 1/72nd scale alfa class ssn

Postby the dark knight » Fri May 20, 2011 11:52 pm

more progress today! i decided to do something a bit differant. i started on a few detail pieces tonight. i took some styrene i had and started building conning tower parts.

i think im going to have the radar mast up, the search peirscope and the mast furthest back.... the one with the four loops on it, not too sure what to call that one. enjoy!
Life is a matter of luck, and the odds in favor of success are no way enhanced by extreme caution. - Erich Topp

Jon Jones
the dark knight
SubCommittee Member

Postby redboat219 » Sat May 21, 2011 10:46 am

Beautiful work! Wish I had your skills, patience, time and resources to make one.
"Make it simple, make it strong-and make it work!" - Mikhail Mil
redboat219

Postby the dark knight » Sat May 21, 2011 1:39 pm

thank you sir! i spent around 4 hours last night messing around until i got the shapes that i wanted. i almost gave up, but im glad i kept at it. its mostly trial and error. i know that the hatch you see in the conning tower probably is in the wrong spot. the hatch is a modified hatch from a 1/32nd scale MkV panther tank kit i have. not accurate, but it will do for now.
Life is a matter of luck, and the odds in favor of success are no way enhanced by extreme caution. - Erich Topp

Jon Jones
the dark knight
SubCommittee Member

Postby the dark knight » Sat May 21, 2011 5:56 pm

more progress today. built the free flood doors for some extra detailing.

i also started installing the ribs to support the WTC. it wasnt easy to get it to be level, but with some trial and error i managed to get it very close.

and here is a shot of some alignment tabs i made to keep the hull together. you can see the lower rail i installed in the above photo

Jon Jones
the dark knight
SubCommittee Member

Postby the dark knight » Sun May 22, 2011 1:12 am

i went ahead and cut the control surfaces free of the rudders and dive planes. that apoxie scuplt is some tuff stuff, and my dremel had trouble cutting it. none of my other saws seemed to cut it. they will be tough!

there is a few spots i need to fix, a few boo-boo's but nothing bad!

Jon Jones
the dark knight
SubCommittee Member

Postby the dark knight » Wed May 25, 2011 1:11 am

i cant believe i am here! i thought id never see this moment. i have the dive planes and rudders attached!!!!! i checked, and triple checked to see if they were square. they appear to be, but the true test will be how they look with the upper hull attached. i will see in the morning.

i used some fiberglass resin i have from building the hull. in theory it should work i hope. more soon!

Jon Jones
the dark knight
SubCommittee Member

Postby the dark knight » Wed May 25, 2011 11:28 am

not too shabby! work will continue today! she will be in the water very soon!

Jon Jones
the dark knight
SubCommittee Member

Postby redboat219 » Wed May 25, 2011 12:10 pm

You made the stern appendages free hand correct? Will you be glassing them up?
redboat219

Postby the dark knight » Wed May 25, 2011 3:24 pm

yes, they are free handed. i have coated them in resin as an insurance policy to protect them. the package of apoxie sculpt claims its waterproof, but im not gonna risk it. bondo is on! im soo glad this part went off without a hitch.

they are close, however when V 2 is done and molds are made i will make a more accurate set of planes and rudders out of fiberglass for that one.

Jon Jones
the dark knight
SubCommittee Member

Postby the dark knight » Thu May 26, 2011 10:28 pm

well, i started filling the control surfaces for a nicer fit. i also started on the creep motor housings.

i also finished fiberglassing the rib cage into the hull.

Jon Jones
the dark knight
SubCommittee Member

Postby the dark knight » Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:17 am

well, i built the search peirscope earlier this week, along with the other mast. last thing i have to do is the radar mast. i also extended the stern and poured it. its curing in the garage as i post this.

Jon Jones
the dark knight
SubCommittee Member

Postby the dark knight » Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:39 am

here the stern is with every thing mocked up. i will start sanding the tail in the morning

Jon Jones
the dark knight
SubCommittee Member

Postby redboat219 » Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:26 pm

Dark knight
Where did you get those drawing and plans for the alfa? Any chance you can provide me some copies, want to build one myself too.
redboat219

Postby the dark knight » Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:24 am

i will ask the source if i can share. its a really good set, if he says yes ill shoot them to you.

Jon Jones
the dark knight
SubCommittee Member

Postby Chuck Chesney » Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:43 am

I've been following your build...great job ! The hull paint is the most realistic that I've seen. What paint did you use, both type and color?
The whole thing is a first class build, congratulations on a fine job.
Chuck

"The Japanese solders would die for the Emperor, which made them formidable. The U.S. Marines would die for each other, which made them invinceable"...Iwo Jima
Chuck Chesney

PreviousNext

Return to Builder Threads