Banner Ad 1

The 10 Footer!

This is the place to post your submarine build- ups.

The 10 Footer!

Postby tomwittstock » Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:29 pm

I started inspecting and sanding the hull down. From what I've seen so far the boat is made from wood and covered with fiber glass. The hull is in very good shape. I'm using JB weld to seal the seams and then with a final coat of marine resin. The cold Michigan weather is still here and that keeps me out of the garage more then I like. :?

Tom

tomwittstock

Re: The 10 Footer!

Postby SteveNeill » Tue May 31, 2011 1:18 pm

Tom I had this boat in my pool. Harry brought it over and it's so big it's silly but cool. It ran well though. Leaked a bit/ I'd gut it and put a modern system in it though. Oh and build a trailer. Oh and one last thing. Don't set it on your tow like I did! ;)

Have fun!

Steve
SteveNeill
SubCommittee Member

Postby SteveNeill » Tue May 31, 2011 1:23 pm

Oh and a little history. My local hobby shop got a call years ago from a lady that owned the garage this model was sitting in. Seems the maker of the model past away and left it behind. She wanted it out of her garage and was threatening to put it in the trash if no one picked it up. At the time Dave the manager of the store and my old friend didn't know I was into subs and called Harry instead. You can imagine the look on his face when he went to rescue the boat.

We never did find out any more only that the guy the owned it built it all from scratch and machined every part. It was told he was a Hollywood prop maker but that's all we got.

Steve
SteveNeill
SubCommittee Member

Postby tomwittstock » Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:17 pm

lrdg;lkeg;ks'erhb'r;hl'rhl.cg;,dfth'fdh;f;'n.;.bv:.nf.gng.fgmngmh..bnvjn'.g'fj;fgjg'jg'jg';
Last edited by tomwittstock on Mon May 21, 2012 6:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
tomwittstock

Postby JWLaRue » Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:28 pm

...time to watch some WW2 sub-related movies to see if that sub can be spotted. With those uniquely shaped casing 'slots' it might be easy to spot.

-Jeff
Rohr 1.....Los!
JWLaRue
SubCommittee Member

Postby SteveNeill » Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:30 pm

Tom I don't know about that. Maybe it might have been but I'm a Hollywood visual effects guy and I know most of the movies that used boats.

Na Rich would give you 500 bucks. LOL! He's a cheap SOB.

Steve
SteveNeill
SubCommittee Member

Postby tomwittstock » Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:57 pm

Steve do you have any pictures of this boat when you had it at your house??

My email address is: yarch52@yahoo.com

Thanks
tomwittstock

Postby SteveNeill » Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:33 pm

I did take pictures. Close ups of all the parts. In the pool. The 1/72 sitting on top of it but I'll have to find them.

Give me a beat. hope I still have them there's been a few crashes since those days but I do back my picture files up on DVD.

Steve
SteveNeill
SubCommittee Member

Postby Chuck Chesney » Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:05 am

It has been about fifteen years since I saw it, but there was a very well done model of a Gato type boat in a seafood resturant in Oakland California. The model was about ten feet long, and had been used in the movie "Run Silent, Run Deep". I was never able to find out too much more about it, and don't even remember the name of the resturant. The model was very well done, however, and the bartender said that it was a fully running boat.
Chuck

"The Japanese solders would die for the Emperor, which made them formidable. The U.S. Marines would die for each other, which made them invinceable"...Iwo Jima
Chuck Chesney

Return to Builder Threads