Took a vacation day from work Monday, the 23rd, to make it a three-day boat-working weekend. As usual, Saturday was occupied by life maintenance, but I've been hard at it since then.
Sunday involved a lot more assorted puttying and sanding, so not much to show for it here. However, I did re-spray the inside of the nose—essentially the bow window wall only—so it'll be ready for later Observation Room installation, and also so Steve won't have to do it. Of course, you won't really see the backside of the window wall when you look through from the front, but the Voyage
movie and color TV pilot showed these film set walls to be beige-y. I chose a small can of flat "sand" color which seemed to work well enough. Again, it won't really matter, since most of what you'll see of the O.R. through those bow windows will be "wood paneling," but I wanted that front wall surface to be a light color so it'll better reflect the eventual overhead white LED lighting to help illuminate the room overall.
Also managed to scribe in the faux bow planes. I decided long ago I didn't want articulated ones; I know they're not necessary for functionality, and besides, I've seen movable Seaview
bow planes elsewhere and I think they ruin the look. (To each his own.) Aficionados among you will recall that on the later TV iteration of the Seaview
(the deBoer and Moebius versions most of you have been modeling, in other words), these planes are angled into a sort of trapezoid shape on their inboard sides. However, for my own First TV Season version (the same miniatures and footage as used in the movie), Seaview
closeups show ovoid/elliptical bow plane scribings, so this is what I've reproduced here. Check out the minefield sequence of the movie or some First Season close passbys if you don't believe me.
On to Monday (today):
I first finished up shaping and sanding work on the engine nacelle side fins, shown here. Any necessary additional finesse work shall be left up to Steve.
Also finished up—at least for now—work on the Mini-Sub Bay doors. My original attempt to fit them using Evercoat fill around their edges (seen somewhere above) didn't work at all, so beginning Sunday I shifted to thinly machined strips of Evergreen styrene CA'd into place and this worked much better. These installed strips were then smoothed in with Nitro-Stan body putty. I drilled tiny holes in the door edge corners and bay openings and used assorted-size watchband pins as tiny hinges. These were available from the local watch repair place for cheap. Of course, nothing in this trying door assembly actually fit or worked as I'd planned—the tiny drilled holes broke through and had to be Evercoat-filled, the spring-loaded hinges wound up being fixed in place with glue, etc. In other words, the whole thing was a wasteful, time-consuming pain-in-the-butt…but at least these messy results are on the keel and won't be seen much. In fact, the doors will be removed during running anyway (only put in place for static display), and I suppose even sloppy Mini-Sub Bay doors are better than no doors at all. Once again, I'm counting on Steve's luxurious paint job to divert undue visual attention. They're not quite as cleaned up as I hope to eventually get them, but these pix will give you an idea:
On to the cleats! Yes, I know it's sacrilege to you filming miniature purists, but long ago I'd decided to "upgrade'" my Seaview
by adding detail from the full-size deck set, plus extrapolate deck detail not shown but which would exist on a real submarine of the era. As such, before running out of steam tonight I managed to install four of what will eventually be eleven cleats (again, some were shown regularly on the show, others will be strictly my speculation), plus a capstan. I'm even considering installing a chock back aft, but haven't decided yet. Installation of these goodies is laborious and tedious. All white metal parts (these came from Floating Drydock in proper 1/96 scale) first have to be etched, then carefully drilled for brass rod installation. The rods go down deep into the deck presumably to keep the tiny parts from popping off while on patrol. CA alone just ain't enough.
Anyway, here are a couple pics of the first few cleats. I'm using rollers and standards positioned just like on a real boat. Capstan too. Lots more to go. Oh, I don't believe you've seen that I've also installed that famous sonar dome on the foredeck. Lookin' good now that the hatches and safety track are in. The newly added details are already making it start to look like—omigosh—a submarine
. About a zillion grab irons, seen on the 17-ft. miniature, are next, after all the cleats are in.
More next week,
Sure writing is easy: just sit staring at a blank page until the drops of blood start forming on your forehead.