Banner Ad 1

Simple piston tank controller?

R/C Submarine modelers

Re: Simple piston tank controller?

Postby Sub culture » Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:35 pm

That doesn't sound right at all.

Perhaps the board has a dry joint somewhere. Odd that it affects the other channels too.
'Why are you staring at an empty pond?'

Want to dive your boat in crystal clear water? Then you had better Dive-in- http://www.diveintomodelsubmarines.co.uk
Sub culture
SubCommittee Member

Postby JWLaRue » Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:28 pm

.....could also be due to loose connections? I've seen this occur even with my simple piston controller.....

-Jeff
Rohr 1.....Los!
JWLaRue
SubCommittee Member

Postby Bigdave » Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:41 pm

I made up a cable with ferrite donuts and put it between the board and R/X and it is a little better.
I may try and ground the motor to the techrack metal parts.
I had a lot of trouble with the metal tail on the Tadpole sub causing glitching. BD.
David Welch
Commodore SR-8

"Eat your pudding Mr Land". "I ain't sure it's puddin" James Mason-Kirk
Douglas, 20K
Bigdave
SubCommittee Member

Postby U552 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:50 am

I'm also using an ENGEL BTS for my single piston tank WTC in my AKULA (like Wheelerdealer did) and have never glitched.
U552

Postby Ramius-II » Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:18 am

Hi All!
Sounds like we are all assisting in solving what over the years has been a frequent problem for all of us. What I would like to add to the discussion is a few observations from assisting others with repairs. Probably the most common and misunderstood part of the wiring is how important correct grounding is. First let me say that the ground wires used should be as heavy as possible, typically 18 gauge is good. DC which is what we are using goes through the entire cross section of the wire, unlike AC. Second, caution and care should be used to avoid creating what are called "ground loops". If you were to take a metal box and from corner to corner you place a wire and connect it to the box you have now created a ground loop. That is the negative or ground now has two electrical paths. Most people will take a ground wire to one point, attach it to another point or circuit, then to the next point and so on. Now this one ground wire must carry the current from all the circuits and if the ground wire is small you are basically overloading it so grounds are recommended to be heavier than power. Using relays can cause problems if you forget to add a diode across the relays coil. When you energize a relay it becomes an electromagnet. When you remove power from the relay the electromagnetic field colapes and puts voltage back into the power line. Just something to keep in mind. Using the twisting technique for all your signals and power feed. Simply take the wires, put them in the end of a drill and twist them together! You will probably enjoy this more as it will seem as if you are routing only one wire and not several and your installation will probably look much neater. The advantage of twisting is that the wires now act as small capacitors which will reduce unwanted signals from ajacent wires getting into you circuits. The uses of 4 different value capacitors helps in most situations. Start with a .01 mfd, in parallel with a .1 mfd, in parallel with a 1 mfd (preferably a tantilum), then add a 10 mfd. Each value will act as a "short" to certain frequencies depending upon its value. Again I hope this is of value to anyone reading it.

Best, Ed
Just one more wire!
SC# 2268
WB6NSN
Ramius-II
SubCommittee Member

Postby Bob the Builder » Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:51 pm

Thanks a lot, Ed! That is great information!
Bob Martin,
RCSub homepage: http://www.rc-sub.com
Bob the Builder
SubCommittee Member

Previous

Return to R/C Modeler