Banner Ad 1

surface radios for subs

Place for general submarine conversation

surface radios for subs

Postby flying jeep » Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:00 pm

When I started my type IX 20 years ago there were very few surface radios with more than two channels. As a result, I used an aircraft radio. My bad, I know. What's available now? Unlike the RC aircraft market which is saturated with montly publications, I see very vew magazines for RC boats. Except the two channel, go fast, hydros. I've prowled through the suppliers on this site and don't recall seeing any radios.

Thanks,
Jay
flying jeep

Re: surface radios for subs

Postby redboat219 » Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:46 pm

Look up a Futaba 4GWD 4 channel radio. It's 27 MHz.
"Make it simple, make it strong-and make it work!" - Mikhail Mil
redboat219

Postby the dark knight » Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:07 am

dont be afraid to PM some of the senior members here. i learned alot about radios from some of them here.
Life is a matter of luck, and the odds in favor of success are no way enhanced by extreme caution. - Erich Topp

Jon Jones
the dark knight
SubCommittee Member

Postby GreyAkula52 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:11 am

Gentlemen,
I Do Believe, We Have A Problem! :(
Over The Last Five Years I've Seen The Surface
Radio Market Wither And Dry Up.
You Cannot Find A Surface Unit Over 4 Channels
Over Or Under The Counter........ Anywhere! :cry:
Are We All Going To Pack Up Our Boats And Do
What I Did Years Ago?.... Fill 'Em With Cotton And M-80's
And Light The Whole Mess!!!!! :shock: I For One, Am But One Voice....
I've Been Submarining For Thirty Years..... My First Boat I Built
On My Own Before My Son Was Born.....In 1980! :D
I Used A Seven Channel Airtronics Aircraft Radio Re-Tuned To 75 As
There Were No Multi Channel Gear Available. The Speed Controllers
Were For Cars, The Boat Units Were These Cheesy Reostat / Resistor Units.
I Won't Tell You How Many Battery Fires My One Boat Endured. It Is Still Here,
Retired Like Me To The Shelf. :lol:

Futaba, Airtronics, Hi-Tech, And The Rest Got Rich On Airplanes, Trucks
And Cars...... It's Our Turn Now! :wink:
We Need To Press These Guys...... Either You Ante Up And Help Us
Survive Or Get The Hell Out Of The Way!
Radio South And Vantec Are The Only,,,,,,,,,,Read This
Only Outfits To My Limited Knowledge Who Carry/Service 75MHz Equipment..... Period!
Save For A Handful Of Techno-Types Who Make Their Own Stuff!
If We Cannot Get What We Really Need (Multi-Channel) Radios,,,, Then Lets Lobby For
The Metric Stuff ..... You Do What You Have To Do Gentlemen..... This 2.4GiggleHurts Just Doesn't Cut
It For Submarines! You Do What You Have To Do!

If You Don't Like Or Understand What's At Stake Here...... Turn Your Boats In!!!!!
And Go Fly Airplanes! :evil:

BTW:
I Won A Giant Scale Model P-47D Last Summer.... and Frankly I'm Scared To Build It
Because It Will Be Re-Kitted As Soon As I Try To Land The Thing! :roll:
Andre S. Burgess, P.E.
GreyAkula52
SubCommittee Member

Postby Wheelerdealer » Sun Mar 06, 2011 6:49 am

I think there will be always be 4 & 6chanel basic sets from 2nd/3rd tier maufacuters out of the Far Ear. These are pretty cheap to turn out even for small demand. Over in Europe, Robbe will no doubt continue to produce thier FM F-14, and Fc-16 8channel sets (or a varient of) as long as they sell their submarine kits. If your after more complex gear, I fear there will be no more such radios built. For the moment you can still but new radio on the 40mhz (Euro ground frequency) band all the way up to 14Channels either on their own or by fitting the appropriate RF module in an air radio from the likes of Graupner, Robbe, & Multiplex. Howerer there are signs that they are winding down production of FM radios.
Anyway I have picked up some cheap discounted mutifuction sets just in case. Ebay remains a good source to pick up high end air frequency Futaba and Hitec radio with interchangeable RF modules.
Last edited by Wheelerdealer on Sun Mar 06, 2011 7:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ramesh
www.rcmodelsubmarines.co.uk
----------------------------------------------------
Whaddya mean, I need a license to do that?!
Wheelerdealer
SubCommittee Member

Postby Sub culture » Sun Mar 06, 2011 7:11 am

I think the U.S modellers seem to get a raw deal with radios, at least at surface frequency.

They don't enjoy the range of choice we get here in the UK. I guess this boils down to them using a higher frequency than elsewhere.

On the upside, I do believe there is an opportunity for a smaller manufacturer to produce front end modules for many of these quite inexpensive sets that now have detachable tuners.

Maybe a company like Sombra labs could step up to the plate? Expecting the likes of Futaba and Hitec to produce equipment for a tiny sector of the hobby like this is probably wishful thinking.
'Why are you staring at an empty pond?'

Want to dive your boat in crystal clear water? Then you had better Dive-in- http://www.diveintomodelsubmarines.co.uk
Sub culture
SubCommittee Member

Postby Rogue Sub » Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:11 am

It is not going to rain fire and brim stone. Companies like futaba have been selling the rights to their 75mhz radios to smaller Chinese companies and such. The radios will still be here it will just have a new name on it. I know matt thor worked out a deal with one of these manufacturers. Things are not so bleak yet. Has anyone talked to POLK?
Kevin
A Global Force For Good

http://WWW.ROGUESUBWORKS.COM
Rogue Sub

Postby fgroza » Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:09 pm

Kevin,
John Gill said they had a few radios left. Don't know specifics/ cost, last one I purchased from them was $99.
Frank
fgroza

Postby Rogue Sub » Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:16 pm

That's a darn good price for a 8ch programmable radio that is synthesized!
Kevin
A Global Force For Good

Rogue Sub

Postby Pirate » Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:17 am

I think a big problem Polk was having was getting the 75 MHz radios through customs because the U.S. fcc is reassigning that frequency to cell phones and won't allow R/C radios in on it. They are trying to clear the way to keep out interference when they start selling the frequencies. So regardless of who is making them, getting them here in the states will just get harder and harder.

Does anyone know, is using the 40MHz ban from Europe aloud in the U.S.? We're going to have to start a bootlegging trade in from the Canadian border.
HOLD FAST
Pirate
SubCommittee Member

Postby Rogue Sub » Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:01 am

Has anyone seen and actual "proof" of this happening Pete. I dont mean to argue with you but I have heard to many stories about the reassigning of the 75mhz range.
Kevin
A Global Force For Good

Rogue Sub

Postby roedj » Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:10 pm

Here's what I believe to be the facts:

1) Long ago a 75 MHz wide frequency band window was assigned to the 800 MHz band for cell phone usage. It makes no sense to reassign the 75 MHz band to cell phone usage as there is simply not enough bandwidth there for it to be practical. Remember that in the USA and Canada as well too, I think, the 88 MHz to 108 MHz band is set aside for FM broadcast. There are lots of other legal users in the bands surrounding the 75 MHz band to make the use of 75 MHz band impossible to use for cell phones.

2) The usage of 40 MHz for RC is illegal in North America, which, at a minimum, covers the USA and Canada. So, no importing any "legal" 40 MHz radios from Canada.

3) Can you use 40 MHz on RC in the USA? Of course, you can "use" it but if Foxtrot Charlie Charlie catches you doing so, you'll wish you had never been born. I'm talking the potential of severe fines and jail time.

All of this information is readily available on the internet. Try typing "FCC frequency allocations" into your search engine and go from there. FYI, the USA and Canada are in ITU Region 2 when examining these charts

I've been an amateur radio operator for over 50 years, K8XW, and I've seen the FCC come down like God's wrath on the Clown Banders when they would encroach into the "ham" band at 30 MHz.

Word to the wise, eh?

Dan
"By doing just a little every day you can gradually let the task completely overcome you." - Wil Baden
roedj
SubCommittee Member

Postby Pirate » Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:47 pm

Thanks for the info, Dan. Hope you are correct.

I heard this directly from the owner of Polk radio. Perhaps he misunderstood what Dan has stated, that a 75 MHz-wide band of the 800 MHZ frequency was assigned... and he understood it as the whole 75 MHz band being reassigned. Or... he's trying to spur a last minute rash of buying his 75 MHz radios.

But I have heard numerous reports of a lot of frequencies being reassigned for cell phone usage because they are running out of band width.

If what Dan says is true, then there's just an issue of no one wanting to make the radios for 75 MHz because there aren't enough people who want to buy them. That makes sense too, especially with a bad economy.

I'm going to try to contact the FCC.
HOLD FAST
Pirate
SubCommittee Member

Postby chips » Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:26 pm

Pirate wrote:If what Dan says is true, then there's just an issue of no one wanting to make the radios for 75 MHz because there aren't enough people who want to buy them. That makes sense too, especially with a bad economy.

I'm going to try to contact the FCC.

A couple of things we can do as a group - at least in the USA and Canada are:
1. Contact the local FCC Field Office (Industry Canada) as well as the Washington D.C. office.
2. Write your elected officials.
3. Buy some new 75 Mhz or 27 MHz 4+ channel gear, that lets the manufacturers know we're still out here. Tower Hobbies (Great Planes Distributing for Futaba & Hitec) is still listing Futaba 4YF radios on 75 MHz FM; Futaba 4 GWD on 27 Mhz; and Hitec Laser 6 on 75 MHz. Tower Hobbies is alos listing several otherFutaba and Hitec 6+ channel radios on 72 MH, which can be retuned to 75 MHz at the service center.
Bob Gesking
SC# 1575
KC8WPF
chips
SubCommittee Member

Postby bluefish » Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:08 pm

would it be possible to put two transmitters into one unit and transmit 4 or even 6 channels on each using the same antenna? os just add another antenna for that matter.
bluefish
SubCommittee Member

Next

Return to General