Banner Ad 1

1/72nd scale alfa class ssn

This is the place to post your submarine build- ups.

Re: 1/72nd scale alfa class ssn

Postby Thor » Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:46 pm

Jon,

You can go to a place like office depot or office max. They have basic drafting/drawing templates what will get you very, very close. Choose the ellipse template and you will be all set.

Matt
Thor
SubCommittee Member

Postby the dark knight » Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:11 pm

ah!!!! didnt think about that! hell, i own a 6 ft x 4ft drafting table and all the goodies to go with it :shock: . i probably have one in the drawer. the table was my fathers, he was a draftsman for a while after high school. i too tried to follow in his footsteps, took all the classes, then ended up racing instead. :lol: thanks for the idea Matt! i might delete them and do them again!

Jon
Life is a matter of luck, and the odds in favor of success are no way enhanced by extreme caution. - Erich Topp

Jon Jones
the dark knight
SubCommittee Member

Postby redboat219 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:28 pm

But aren't those templates designed to be used on a flat sheet of paper? Kinda hard hoLding it up against the curvature of the bow. I remeber seeing a scribing/ cutting jig made by Kevin Mcleod for his 1/96 Oscar. It had a centering pin with a sliding blade holder which help if conform to the surface of the bow.
"Make it simple, make it strong-and make it work!" - Mikhail Mil
redboat219

Postby Thor » Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:47 pm

No. Its not hard at all. Use tape to hold the template down once the scribe location is identified.. It works well. The templates have centering guides on them. No need to get overly complicated.
Thor
SubCommittee Member

Postby the dark knight » Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:45 am

i will have to give it a try! well, i got distracted again. my buddy asked me to build a boba fett style helmet for his oldest son since i did a commander cody helmet for his youngest. finished it yesterday, so im back to alfa.

and here is the Cody helmet i did last summer

back to work!

Jon
Life is a matter of luck, and the odds in favor of success are no way enhanced by extreme caution. - Erich Topp

Jon Jones
the dark knight
SubCommittee Member

Postby Thor » Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:50 pm

Yeah....Get back to work, Jon!

The Regatta is drawing closer every day....
:D

Matt
Thor
SubCommittee Member

Postby the dark knight » Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:12 pm

i know! lol, dont remind me! im kidding, im headed to the workshop now. back to work!

Jon Jones
the dark knight
SubCommittee Member

Postby the dark knight » Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:39 pm

ok, back on topic. studing the photos further i discovered 2 free flood holes under the conning tower not shown on the plans. also noticed the holes seem rectangular and not square.

am i on the right track? should i make the holes rectangular? thoughts, suggestions welcome.

thanks
Jon

Jon Jones
the dark knight
SubCommittee Member

Postby tabledancer » Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:26 am

Jon,
When I did my Thor Alfa I did all the flood ports under the sail in a rectangular shape and I also put the flaps on the inside as it shows in the photos,some folks said why bother but I like the extra detail and I like to stay as close to the prototype as I can.

TD :wink:
Don`t forget,its going to be dark tonite.
tabledancer

Postby the dark knight » Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:10 am

thanks TD! i saw your build, and like the door idea. i might try to mimic what you did. the more detail, the better! retangular it is. :D

Jon Jones
the dark knight
SubCommittee Member

Postby the dark knight » Wed May 11, 2011 11:43 pm

ok! ive been away. tomorrow work resumes on Alfa. Kevin hooked me up with a WTC. it wont be long now i hope

Jon Jones
the dark knight
SubCommittee Member

Postby the dark knight » Mon May 16, 2011 5:45 pm

thank you Kevin!!!! Christmas has come early! the WTC showed up today, and im very pleased. it needs a few little things fixed, but overall im extremely happy with it! it was alot bigger than i thought, but it should fit nicely inside Alfa.

i drilled out some of the free flood holes as well on the belly and under the tower. ill get some pics of those once they are square!

Jon Jones
the dark knight
SubCommittee Member

Postby the dark knight » Tue May 17, 2011 10:19 pm

more progress today! i drilled and squared the holes on the bottom of the hull. thanks again for the info on that Matt! i also cut the hull, and removed the warpage that was there. fiberglass is curing right now as we speak. enjoy.

top of the hull

fiberglass repair

bottom cut

and the free flood holes on the bottom right side of the sub. left is similar.

Jon Jones
the dark knight
SubCommittee Member

Postby the dark knight » Wed May 18, 2011 1:54 pm

so far today i have built the emergency buoy and started on the rear access hatch.

more progress soon!

Jon Jones
the dark knight
SubCommittee Member

Postby the dark knight » Wed May 18, 2011 11:13 pm

and here she is with a light primer coat on. i had to resribe some details since they were starting to fade after this last coat of primer.

the warpage is 100% better! not perfect, i can see where she is still off a hair twords the prop, but i think the diveplanes go in that area, so they might draw your eye away. what do you guys think?

Jon Jones
the dark knight
SubCommittee Member

PreviousNext

Return to Builder Threads