Banner Ad 1

Paint for submarine

R/C Submarine modelers

Paint for submarine

Postby subbug1 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:34 pm

Can someone tell me what is the best brand and type of spray paint to use on a sub hulls plastic and fiberglass?
subbug1

Re: Paint for submarine

Postby Sub culture » Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:32 am

Depends where you're painting, and what material the hull is made from (GRP is very different to say polystyrene).

Acrylics are pretty safe to use on either material. Cellulose finishes will melt polystyrene hulls unless they've been hit with a suitable primer first.

I would recommend using a good primer that is designed for plastics, this promotes good adhesion.
'Why are you staring at an empty pond?'

Want to dive your boat in crystal clear water? Then you had better Dive-in- http://www.diveintomodelsubmarines.co.uk
Sub culture
SubCommittee Member

Postby fgroza » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:23 am

I've used Krylon ruddy brown and semi flat and flat black with good results. Another paint I use is Floquil railroad paint. It is a little pricey, but they have any color you need.
Frank
fgroza

Postby SubICman » Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:42 am

Floquil is my choice, weathered black looks like scale black on a sub.
When surfaced, the bridge access hatch can be optionally open or shut, however, when submerged it is required to be shut. (Really a no s***t precaution from a procedure in use in the sub fleet today.)
SC #3116
SubICman
SubCommittee Member

Postby tabledancer » Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:40 pm

I thought that they quit making Floquil because it was so dangerous to inhale the vapors and I heard that California banned its use.

TD :? :wink:
Don`t forget,its going to be dark tonite.
tabledancer

Postby Bob the Builder » Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:02 pm

I haven't heard anything about that, but I just got a new batch of Floquil paints without a problem. They're awesome.
Bob Martin,
RCSub homepage: http://www.rc-sub.com
Bob the Builder
SubCommittee Member

Postby Thor » Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:26 pm

Mike....Its California....! They would ban the breathing of air if they could!

Floquil is great stuff.
Thor
SubCommittee Member

Postby the dark knight » Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:53 pm

if you havent noticed, everything is know to cause cancer in california. :lol: weather its brake clean or paint! but if your not in CA, its ok! i keed, i keed.
Life is a matter of luck, and the odds in favor of success are no way enhanced by extreme caution. - Erich Topp

Jon Jones
the dark knight
SubCommittee Member

Postby SubICman » Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:39 pm

Checks with chart for California, figures they would ban acrylic paints.
When surfaced, the bridge access hatch can be optionally open or shut, however, when submerged it is required to be shut. (Really a no s***t precaution from a procedure in use in the sub fleet today.)
SC #3116
SubICman
SubCommittee Member

Postby Bill Rogers » Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:20 pm

Floquil brand paints were still sold here in California last year when I built my USS Will Rogers.
Bill Rogers

Postby tabledancer » Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:38 am

Well see how you guys are,now you are going to make me go out and buy that nasty California banned great paint again,so that I can get a buzz on while I`m painting my XXI.I used Foquil years ago when I was model railroading,not only would you get a great buzz on but you would also get a great paint job too.I have been using Model Masters paints for about 10 years now and I am getting bored with all that so I think I go back to the Floquil,they have a wider and better choice of colors.Even though Testers owns both of them now.

TD :wink:
tabledancer

Postby fgroza » Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:50 pm

Mike,
Floquil changed hands a few years ago snd is now under the Testors label. They also changed the formula on the Floquil paints--- they were a laquer base and now are of the enamel variety. If you have some old-- look at the label, the new type is different-- you may not be able to mix them together due to different base materials. The old type you could use laquer thinner - new you must use the all purpose thinner they sell, $10 a pint!!!!! I used Floquil on my Type VII and it worked great. Just remember to seal the final finish with either Dullcoat or Floquil flat finish. This will seal your weathering and decals you may have put on the sub.
Frank
fgroza

Postby tabledancer » Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:31 pm

Yes that was the good old days,you could really get a buzz from that old Floquil.I still have a lot of Armor Yellow and Harbor Mist Grey laying around.Here is something to really work your brain over,try figuring out how much you would pay for a gallon of any brand of paint that you use for your hobby if you had to pay hobby shop prices per ounce of paint at the local auto parts store or body shop supply.It will stagger you.Now you know why you are between a rock and a hard place!!

TD :wink:
tabledancer

Return to R/C Modeler