Banner Ad 1

1/72nd scale alfa class ssn

This is the place to post your submarine build- ups.

1/72nd scale alfa class ssn

Postby the dark knight » Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:38 pm

well, i decided to avoid confusion, i would break alfa into her own thread. so far so good! just have the bow left, and the first layer of glass will be done. whew.

lets start from the beganing.... started off with the left over 2' foam from my IXD2. cut it out on my band saw, and shaped it with a wood rasp and 60 grit sand paper

then shaping begain

then i looked at the plans and photos, relized the alfa has a small ledge around the tower in the rear... so i dug out my drywall compound and begain shaping that
Life is a matter of luck, and the odds in favor of success are no way enhanced by extreme caution. - Erich Topp

Jon Jones
the dark knight
SubCommittee Member

Re: 1/72nd scale alfa class ssn

Postby the dark knight » Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:42 pm

so i decided on this one to try the duct tape method of sealing off the plug

it sort of worked, the fiberglass is causing wrinkles in the tape... not a big deal, not any major distortions yet. so i started at the conning tower and fiberglassed it first

then turned it over, and glassed her belly and stern

thats where she stands now..... next is the bow!
Life is a matter of luck, and the odds in favor of success are no way enhanced by extreme caution. - Erich Topp

Jon Jones
the dark knight
SubCommittee Member

Postby the dark knight » Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:16 pm

well, here is where she sits tonight. will do another coat here shortly.

here is what ive learned! i bought the other kind of resin... not epoxy. oh well. lesson learned on the conning tower of the IXD2. duct tape is effective, but on the IXD i may do 2 layers of tape based on the behavior of the tape on the alfa. also discovered alfa consumed alot more glass then i thought, which means i didnt have enough for the IXD. also learned a resperator is a must when working with fiberglass resin of this type, and rubber gloves are a must! updates as i make them!

Jon Jones
the dark knight
SubCommittee Member

Postby the dark knight » Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:27 pm

coat # 2 is almost done, bow will be done next!

i am pleased to announce the bow has the second layer on it. here is what im thinking.... i currently am at the correct scale diameter with 2 layers of glass and cloth. yep, i miscalculated how thick it would be. so, i think i am going to smooth out what is there, seperate the hull, remove the foam and do another coat inside the hull. thoughts? suggestions?

Jon Jones
the dark knight
SubCommittee Member

Postby Jeffrey J » Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:08 am

looking good Jon.
Last edited by Jeffrey J on Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
one things for sure, they won't be expecting us......... S/C#258
Jeffrey J

Postby Jeffrey J » Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:10 am

hey Jon, one more coat on the outside isn't going to an issue, imo at least, looks great, buy the time you sand the entire thing smooth you will have removed extra material anyway. I am going to be running a 1/72nd Alfa prop on my Sturgeon,, lol,, kind of a Russian, U.S. combo sub. Jeff Jones
one things for sure, they won't be expecting us......... S/C#258
Jeffrey J

Postby the dark knight » Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:29 am

cool! thanks Jeff! your Sturgeon is turning out great, been following your threads on it! my major concern is i am loosing my walkway around the conning tower slowly... if i sand it smooth and do another layer im worried i might loose it..... ill see where i stand after i sand it down. thank you again sir! 8)

Jon Jones
the dark knight
SubCommittee Member

Postby Rick Teskey » Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:12 am

Here are a few things I have learned when doing a plug this way.
I do not do the one off ,melt out the foam, etc method as I always just make a mold of the finished plug.
When working with styrofoam you can rough/ semi finish the shape as you have done ,then coat in epoxy ( west system) which will not harm the foam plug and with a little abbrasion for tooth, bondo can be put on top too fix any areas that need attention / fine tunning.
Now as for sealing off your plug as you have done, next time use the aluminum duct tape which should not wrinkel as the cloth based stuff does and when done creativly can represent pannel lines.
My prefered method is when using the less expensive polyester based resin is too seal off the plug with a coat of white carpenters glue right over the foam worked well into all the nooks and crannys that way when fully covered and dried, a thin coat of bondo can be applyed with out any melting of the foam, then sand and fill and repeat and finish then make a parting board and start the mold layup after suitable waxing and mold releaseis applyed too the finished plug.
It maybe another step too make a mold but the work in my opion in the long run is less than the shape cover melt , dig scrape method as when pulled from the mold you have a nice surface too play with.
Rick
Rick Teskey
SubCommittee Member

Postby the dark knight » Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:37 pm

ive been tossing around the idea of molding this when i get it smoothed out.... however, i dont wish to make a mold if there isnt intrest in atleast a few copies being sold to recoup the molding costs.... i havent decided yet. thanks for the tips Rick, i will try out what you suggested on the IXD2. as for the alfa, here is where she sits now. waiting on the resin to cure so i can resume smoothing it out.

Jon Jones
the dark knight
SubCommittee Member

Postby Rick Teskey » Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:19 am

O.K. carry on.
Another quick tip, when trying too seat a part on the plug i.e sail or planes and rudders , if you wrap a bit of sand paper around the area location for part and work a block of foam back and forth it will take on the contour of the hull then you can cut the styrofoam too shape and it will seat nicely.
Give mold making a go you never know you might loose you boat or there maybe interest in the hull even if you do not sell one for months or years you have it ( I have some molds that are 20 years old now and I only sold 1 last year), sure there is the out lay of $100.00 for materials but you will have a nice hull of constant thickness and no puddels of toxic messy goo too deal with .
If you have any questions or want any suggestions , just ask, so go ahead and finish the surface as nicely as you can even if it take several rounds of filler and primer and putty the more effort you put in will pay you back 10 fold.
Rick
Rick Teskey
SubCommittee Member

Postby the dark knight » Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:16 pm

would you suggest rubber like rebound 25? or a fiberglass mold?

Jon Jones
the dark knight
SubCommittee Member

Postby Thor » Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:00 pm

Definitely Fiberglass!!!
Thor
SubCommittee Member

Postby the dark knight » Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:33 pm

will that allow me to keep details like scribe lines? or should i just do a smooth hull and scribe it after?

Jon Jones
the dark knight
SubCommittee Member

Postby Thor » Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:10 pm

The answer to your first question is yes! The answer to you second question is "it depends".....

It depends on what you intend to do with the model and the process you intend to use to get it to the point of being able to mold it. I would recommend coating the model with the resin of your choice, sand it smooth and use the appropriate finishing process that you prefer. Pull a mold off of it at this point and then scribe and detail it up as you wish. If you intend to do a one off, you are done. If you intend to sell a few, then you have another molding process to go...

Matt
Thor
SubCommittee Member

Postby the dark knight » Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:30 pm

cool! thanks Matt! what would you recomend as a mold relise agent? i have enough glass here to lay up a mold.

i guess i will mold it... its turning out really nice, and i guess another alfa kit wouldn't hurt anything. thanks for your insight so far Matt!

Jon Jones
the dark knight
SubCommittee Member

Next

Return to Builder Threads