Banner Ad 1

1/32nd scale IXD2 U-181

This is the place to post your submarine build- ups.

Re: 1/32nd scale IXD2 U-181

Postby the dark knight » Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:25 am

gotcha! im not sure what kind of resin i bought.. i will test it on a piece of foam first.

well, roughed in the bow and stern today. tomarrow i will finish smoothing out the plug. plan on getting some glass on this thing by monday (i hope). i would like to have the glassing done before the new year at the latest. :wink:

i must admit, its a little bigger than what i had in my minds eye, but its ok! i like the way this is shaping up so far!
Life is a matter of luck, and the odds in favor of success are no way enhanced by extreme caution. - Erich Topp

Jon Jones
the dark knight
SubCommittee Member

Postby the dark knight » Thu Dec 23, 2010 3:13 am

hmmm.. i think i discovered something (might be old news to you guys though). my research has led me to belive the IXD2's had a slightly differant conning tower than your standard late war IXc and IXc/40. the tower seems longer overall, mostly in the area of the twin 2.2 cm guns.

it seems the area just after the bridge (sorry, its late. brain isnt working) is shorter on the IXC. (as seen here on the U-534's tower)

what do you guys think?
Life is a matter of luck, and the odds in favor of success are no way enhanced by extreme caution. - Erich Topp

Jon Jones
the dark knight
SubCommittee Member

Postby sam reichart » Thu Dec 23, 2010 9:51 am

the wintergarten on the IXC is much smaller than the IXD (by the looks of the photos)...the IXC photo you've got looks like the winergarten that was on the VIIC. It looks like aft of the ventilation duct/"mattress" antenna will need to be extended to support the decking and weight of the twin 2.2 and the canisters.

Also, did all IXD's have the twin 2.2s?...are you targeting a specific boat of that class?
what were once vices are now habits
sam reichart
SubCommittee Member

Postby the dark knight » Thu Dec 23, 2010 1:00 pm

yes, i am targeting a specific boat, U-181. not sure about all of them having 2.2's, im almost positive the U-181 had 2 twin 2.2's and a single mounted 3.7 cm on the aft wintergarten. the 3.7 exploded killing the cook and wounding 2 others on its longest patrol (206 days). the third photo in the group above was taken on board U-181 and you can see the 2.2's.

glad to see i wasnt the only one who sees the tower differance. :lol: i was just gonna throw a IXC tower on it. glad i checked my referances again. nothing i dislike more than a sub with the wrong tower on it. thanks Sam!

Jon Jones
the dark knight
SubCommittee Member

Postby sam reichart » Thu Dec 23, 2010 1:42 pm

I'm sure you also know this, but there's the extended "lower" wintergarten as well...so you have the two extended areas, along with additional railings, guns, etc.
what were once vices are now habits
sam reichart
SubCommittee Member

Postby the dark knight » Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:09 pm

yep, i figured they did. i am working on a new set of drawings for the tower. i started with a standard IXC tower and have lengthened the whole tower (upper and lower). ill post up when i am satisfied with the look. 8)

Jon Jones
the dark knight
SubCommittee Member

Postby the dark knight » Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:42 pm

soo, sorry for not posting progress pics. but i have been a busy boy. first up is a couple pics of the hull plug. i am using drywall compound to help shape the plug. im hoping this will reduce the amount of work ill have to do later on. we will see.

and my modified conning tower based on the lengthing the tower and making it match the photos above. so far im pleased with the over all shape im seeing.

Jon Jones
the dark knight
SubCommittee Member

Postby greenman407 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:10 pm

Shes shaping up nicely!
There are OLD pilots and there are BOLD pilots but there are very few OLD BOLD pilots. MAG
greenman407

Postby the dark knight » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:40 pm

thanks greenman! i sanded the hull, have a few spots to touch up, and some low spots to fill. got the main body of the tower shaped today, and its turning out great! a few spots to fill. for the upper part, should i sculpt it in? or on a one off like this could i make out of spare ABS plastic i have here?

Jon Jones
the dark knight
SubCommittee Member

Postby gantu » Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:07 pm

That should be the right C tower

Gantu
gantu

Postby WL Upshaw/Scale Shipyard » Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:43 pm

The Model Submarine Company (SSY) produces a 1/32 scale Type IX-C hull kit that could have been a great starting point for your Type IX-D project

W.L. Upshaw
The Scale Shipyard
www.scaleshipyard.com
Largest Selection of quality fiberglass model warship & submarine hulls.
WL Upshaw/Scale Shipyard

Postby Jeffrey J » Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:17 am

Its much more rewarding to build your own model. I got dragged through the mud at a St.Louis show one time because I had used a prefab hull from SSY. The guy told me, "Try Building Your Own Hull" !!! and guess what, I did !!! much more fun. looking great. Jeff Jones
one things for sure, they won't be expecting us......... S/C#258
Jeffrey J

Postby the dark knight » Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:20 pm

thanks Jeff! im learning alot from this experiment. im very glad i am doing it, and in the end will be very rewarding. right now im playing around with a few ideas i have before i lay some glass over this hull. stay tuned kids!

Jon Jones
the dark knight
SubCommittee Member

Postby the dark knight » Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:51 pm

so, out of my spare foam, i fabricated a 1/72nd scale alfa hull. this will be my "test" hull. i will try out a few things ive read about here on this hull before i try them on the IXD2. i dont want to mess up the IX if i can avoid it.

sorry for the cell phone pics... its all i have right now. :evil:

Jon Jones
the dark knight
SubCommittee Member

Postby Bill Rogers » Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:44 pm

Nice work on the Alfa. How did you shape the pink foam sections (tools, method, etc.)?
Bill Rogers

PreviousNext

Return to Builder Threads