On to the parting board construction now so I can attach the hull halves and start to make them look beautiful!
Construction materials used for this part of the project is:
• 5/8” MDF board
• ¼” Ultra-high-molecular-weight polyethylene board (UHMWPE or sometimes shortened to UHMW)
• 1 1/8” by 3/16” angle iron
• Various nuts and bolts
These materials are what I have lying around in the garage, but if I had to build these boards all over again I might be compelled to use these same materials over again. In the case of the UHMWPE I am especially pleased. This stuff is used in arenas to repel 100 mph hockey pucks, is used as skid plates on the bottoms of 4x4 trucks to help slide over rocks, and I’ve even heard of people skating on it when there is no ice...This is pretty much as tough as plastic gets. I kinda fluked out when my son needed our 4 x4 sheet cut down to make more manageable for practicing his slap shot off of. I decided to try using the rest that was left over for my parting board instead of having to go out and buy melamine or something. I’m glad I did as this stuff is impervious to chemicals, is very resilient to sanding, and is very slippery...nothing sticks to it!
Anyways, I clamped both boards together and roughly cut them up with my circular saw. Final trimming was done by running all the cut boards through my table saw.
The MDF and 5 foot lengths of angle iron were clamped together and holes were drilled through both materials at the same time. The top of the MDF was counter sunk to allow for bolt head flushness to the surface. The poly sheets were then placed loose on the board – no glue, no screws.
Next the threaded rod studs (cut down to proper size with the ends filed) were installed back into the hull halves. The halves were placed on the poly sheet and the hole locations were marked. An oversize hole was drilled for each mark through the wood and plastic. The rods were placed through the holes and wing nuts and fender washers were used to secure the whole thing tightly from the other side. Now I can easily adjust the whole plug on the board if needed with the puck board being sandwiched tightly between wood and hull. I’ll screw in some sort of mould keys later, but I want to be left alone from obstructions on the flat surface for now.
Just over 5 feet in total length, here are the halves ready for some beautification
Here are a few shots of the top half pulled from the intermediate mould:
Now its time to clean up these parts, install major details, then start applying some of this ton of photoetch that I'm currently preparing on my pc for this beast!