Banner Ad 1

Scale Ship Oscar 2

This is the place to post your submarine build- ups.

Re: Scale Ship Oscar 2

Postby Sub culture » Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:26 pm

It's difficult to get in the States I believe. There are other makes, and Caswell supplies epoxy putty- http://caswellplating.com/aids/epoxies.htm

The 'Quikplastic' looks a suitable candidate, but it might be worth having a word with Mike first. Epoxy putties come in a widely varying consistencies.

Evercoat is polyester based filler.
'Why are you staring at an empty pond?'

Want to dive your boat in crystal clear water? Then you had better Dive-in- http://www.diveintomodelsubmarines.co.uk
Sub culture
SubCommittee Member

Postby greenman407 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:34 pm

Thanks
There are OLD pilots and there are BOLD pilots but there are very few OLD BOLD pilots. MAG
greenman407

Postby the dark knight » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:47 pm

ive used the quickplastic before. its good stuff. used it on another project. im not sure if its water proof or not. :? btw, nice oscar so far! i love this class of boat, wish more people built them. :D

i know home depot sells something similar... not sure what the brand name of it is, but i know you can find it in the adhesives isle near the paint.
Life is a matter of luck, and the odds in favor of success are no way enhanced by extreme caution. - Erich Topp

Jon Jones
the dark knight
SubCommittee Member

Postby Sub culture » Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:05 am

All epoxy fillers I have encountered are waterproof. Polyester filler is far more absorbent.

Want to dive your boat in crystal clear water? Then you had better Dive-in- http://www.diveintomodelsubmarines.co.uk
Sub culture
SubCommittee Member

Postby greenman407 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:46 am

Thanks for the congrats on the Oscar. Here in the states a very popular epoxy is JB WELD. Its thick and I could have used it instead of the Bondo if I had thought about it. Thats the only thing that I know of thats available at Home Depot or the like thats a thick consistancy. At work we use thick epoxies like SIKA high mod gel. All these are out and out epoxies and not epoxy fillers. Maybe a hobby store has something.
There are OLD pilots and there are BOLD pilots but there are very few OLD BOLD pilots. MAG
greenman407

Postby greenman407 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:36 pm

The only problem with the 3M stuff is that it takes 7 days to cure. If thats too long for you they make a fast cure. The link that Subculture left for Caswell epoxies, notably the quick plastic, I recieved as a consolation prize in there recent contests. Ill have to put it to use.
greenman407

Postby Sub culture » Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:19 pm

JB weld is very different consistency to epoxy putty (we get that over here too).

Epoxy putty is thicker than polyester filler. It works very much like clay. You can use water to help smooth and shape it. White spirit has a retarding action on some epoxy putties, which will slow down the curing rate allowing more time to work the putty. I found this out last year when having a chat with some figure sculptors who use Sylmasta putties for their figure making (really good work). They manage keep the 'green stuff' epoxy putty pliable for over an hour by brushing on white spirit with a small brush every now and then.

http://www.sylmasta.com/acatalog/Kneada ... tties.html

Sub culture
SubCommittee Member

Postby greenman407 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:36 pm

This picture has been said to support the theory that the KURSK was hit by a torpedo. The green marker is circling a round puncture area. The picture is small and fuzzy and it could have been doctored.
greenman407

Postby Pirate » Sun Jan 16, 2011 2:56 am

Don't torpedoes explode with proximity sensors? They don't hit another sub or boat and go through it, making a little hole, before detonating, right?
HOLD FAST
Pirate
SubCommittee Member

Postby greenman407 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:18 am

Im not sure how that works.
greenman407

Postby greenman407 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:48 pm

Here you can see that the rear bulkhead with integral alignment pins has been adhesived in place and the adjoining bulkheads with the alignment holes are sitting in place. Then I placed the midsection on top of them. The space that you see goes from 1/8" on this side to 0" on the other. The bulkheads provide a notch to apply Evercoat Metal glaze to, to fill the offending space.

Propping it open a little bit you can see a little better whats happening.

The end view here shows how that the hull does not conform to the shape of the bulkhead. We will make it conform.

Forced conformation in progress. I used CA to get things pulled in place and then I will apply the marine sealant.

Image The original misalignment is evident in this photo.

The down side to all this straigtening is that now there is a gap between upper and lower hulls that will also need to be filled with MR. EVERCOAT.
greenman407

Postby adsl » Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:16 pm

It is really a beautiful one.
adsl

Postby greenman407 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:13 am

Thank you. As you can see its a work in progress.
greenman407

Postby Sub culture » Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:28 am

Looking at this picture, and the scribed lines I've circled in red, it looks to me like the bottom pieces have been cut and joined incorrectly, which might explain the problems experienced now?

Sub culture
SubCommittee Member

Postby greenman407 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:25 am

It is off yes, however I had to do that to compromise between one side and the other. You see if I had made it perfectly match this side then it would have been way off on the other side. So it has been centered between the two so that now both sides are off just a little. The lines on the stern section do not match the center section. Oh Well! :cry: :| :)
greenman407

PreviousNext

Return to Builder Threads